2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

I've only had one shot so far so excuse me if I'm moody, it's that time of the month 😃

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

JT - Ah, I see, you’re pretty much neighbours 😀

Marby - nice Week

RP - I’m glad you enjoyed that joke, it seems I can only make inappropriate jokes haha (the best ones)

DW - Go get it!!! Mile races are the most fun!

me - A very nice week, I'm super happy about it. The long run today went much better. Endurance is coming back. Now of to string a few weeks like this and my chances are good.

Weekly for period: From: 09/06/2021 To 09/12/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
      in ft
      09/07 Morning Run 11.50 18.51 01:32:02 08:00 04:58 151
      09/08 Morning Run 8.50 13.68 01:08:19 08:02 05:00 10
      09/09 6x1mi w 2:30 rest. splits: 5:58, 6:03, 6:04, 6:04, 6:02, 5:58 10.62 17.09 01:17:06 07:16 04:31 16
      09/10 Morning Run 8.02 12.91 01:06:50 08:20 05:11 253
      09/11 6mi + 4downhill strides 6.20 9.97 00:52:03 08:24 05:13 154
      09/12 4E + 4x(2M + 1E) + 2M M blocks avg 6:49 18.01 28.98 02:13:39 07:25 04:37 187

Total distance: 62.86mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Another note. Let's say my usual MP heart rate is 166-170. If I was able to keep goal MP pace during my workout but my HR was 172-176 (basically HM heart rate) - of course I can guarantee you would not be able to keep that pace during real marathon. That's why knowing your HR is so important in training and I still do not understand people who do not use HR as an additional marker during training.

Totally agree and don’t understand why anyone would dismiss HR.  Nearly all my marathons have been in the 159/162 range and I pretty much know what time I’m going to run based on MP training runs.

darkwave - Good luck. 👍

JT - I might be running the Valencia marathon on 5th December....but it would just be baby steps and hopefully a safe BQ for 2023. 😁

ETA - I’ve seen Piwi’s quads and they are bloody awesome and no need for a Pfizer jab to admire them. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Totally agree and don’t understand why anyone would dismiss HR.  Nearly all my marathons have been in the 159/162 range and I pretty much know what time I’m going to run based on MP training runs.

darkwave - Good luck. 👍

JT - I might be running the Valencia marathon on 5th December....but it would just be baby steps and hopefully a safe BQ for 2023. 😁

ETA - I’ve seen Piwi’s quads and they are bloody awesome and no need for a Pfizer jab to admire them. 👍

Guess I need to give Piwi's quads a second look? 

I updated the table Mikkey! Great to hear you're putting something on the table for this year.

Hopefully some of the other lost sheep will return... Cinnamon, let us know how you are! Weatherboy is gradually adding some runs recently so hopefully he can join the crowd at CIM this year.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Guess I need to give Piwi's quads a second look? 

I updated the table Mikkey! Great to hear you're putting something on the table for this year.

Hopefully some of the other lost sheep will return... Cinnamon, let us know how you are! Weatherboy is gradually adding some runs recently so hopefully he can join the crowd at CIM this year.

I saw them in the flesh and his pics aren’t photoshopped!

Thanks!  I’m going to start building next week.

Yep it would be cool to see Cinnamon and Weatherboy back.

Anyone know if Slammin is running London next month? He blocked me on Strava last year because of the beef regarding Cal.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Marby - solid week.

flavio - with training like you do this cycle I would run sub 3 many times over by now Smile

DW - congrats on hitting 6 minutes flat!

My week was more "interesting" than usual. After Tuesday's LT workout I felt some strain behind my knee. But it didn't feel too serious to me, so, I did some moderate intensity run on Wednesday and few hours after it I started to feel pain not only behind the knee cup but also in my hamstring. That scared me a little but I decided to continue running at recreational pace and see what happens. Later the same day I ran 5 miles on my TM and it took a mile at 5 mph to get over the pain. So, I decided to do doubles at a very easy pace and go for a mileage instead of regular workouts. Turned out ok, I felt better on Saturday and almost no traces of the injury on Sunday. I also hot weekly mileage PR for year 2021.

Mo - 4.04 @9:33

Tu - 8.81 @7:45 with 18 mins @LT @6:15 - 400 jog - 12 mins @LT @6:12

We - 11.03 @7:50 am / 5.05 @9:47 pm

Th - 11.08 @9:13 am / 5.05 @9:54 pm

Fr - 8.18 @9:38 am / 7.07 @9:53 pm

Sa - 11.26 @8:24 am / 5.05 @10:13 pm

Su - 18.31 @7:57

===

Total: 94.9 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

jhudak55

Marby: Is the marathon December 5th the race you planned to run, only now it’s been delayed?

Flavio: I agree with your comment that you had a great week! Those mile reps are impressive. I’ve had the same thought about stringing weeks together in my training. I’ve hit 70+ twice this block with good workouts, but it always seems that something pops up to throw a wrench in things the next week (see below).

Cal: Nice job getting all of those miles in and thanks for your comment last week. I read your comment about not getting injured and then went out and fell down a couple of hours later haha.

Marathon pace: I have to admit that I do all of my marathon workouts by monitoring pace the entire time. I think this works for me though because they never feel too hard. I often fining and think I could have ran a few more miles at that pace, but have no idea how I’d keep it up for a full 26.2. Also, I have never successfully ran a ‘fast’ marathon (current PR is 3:36) and I find marathon effort much harder to find than tempo effort.

My week

40.3 miles

M: 5.2 miles easy (9:00)

T: 10 miles aerobic (8:25)

W: 10 miles aerobic (8:12)

T&F: Off

S: 4 miles aerobic (8:00)

S: 11 mile ‘long’ run

This was a drop week for me, but it ended up being a lot more drastic than it was supposed to be. On Tuesday the end of my run was after sundown. I accidentally kicked a bump in the trail and fell  It was one of those slow motion falls where it feels like you should be able to stay up, but don’t. I was a bit scraped up, but finished the last couple miles. On Wednesday my left hamstring felt tight/sore, but I decided to get the run in anyway. After the run it felt further aggravated so I decided to take some time off until it felt back to normal.

I ran a shorter ’long’ run today. The second half of the run was with someone I met waiting at a stoplight who was training for the Columbus Marathon. He was running an every other mile at marathon pace workout so I joined him for one rep in 6:18. The left hammie felt good so I think I dodged a bullet on that one.

This was my third weekend in a row out of town. I was pretty excited to run in some different places, which I did, but am looking forward to easier running logistics at home.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - congrats on hitting 6 minutes flat!

Thanks, I think....   It was definitely good to get back out there and race a mile. Race report is here.

My week:

58 miles running, 90 minutes pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: 9 miles very easy (9:27), drills and four hill strides, and streaming yoga.

T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 6x800, 2x400 in 3:07, 3:06, 3:04, 3:04, 3:04, 3:01 and then 85 and 85. Recoveries between 2:39-2:53 for the 800s; full recovery for 400s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards of recovery swimming.

W: 8 miles very easy outside (9:27), drills, two hill strides, and two flat strides, followed by streaming yoga and then 4 miles very easy on treadmill (9:16)

Th: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.

F: 7 miles, including a short track workout of 1600 at tempo and then 2x200 at mile - splits were 6:29, 43, and 43. 500 yards recovery swimming after.

Sa: 4 miles very easy (9:34)

Su: 5 mile warm-up (due to circumstances), 1 mile race in 6:00, .5 jog to hotel. Later ran 7.5 miles including a 6 mile progression run in Central Park, with 2 miles averaging 8:47, 2 miles averaging 8:04, and 2 miles averaging 7:08.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio- good to hear your endurance is coming back!

Cal - very glad to hear that the knee/hamstring thing was most likely a false alarm.

JHudak - I wondered why you were in Columbus.  Glad to hear you also had a false alarm.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Anyone know if Slammin is running London next month? He blocked me on Strava last year because of the beef regarding Cal.

No idea, though I would bet on Boston for him since both are around the same time this year. Maybe someone running Boston (guess that is just Cal here) can check to see if he is entered; I remember you can do that on the BAA site (I'm too lazy to do it ).

Piwi: Be careful; I've also heard the first shot can manifest in an intense attraction to sheep. You should modify your running routes accordingly to avoid temptation till the 2nd shot. 

Darkwave: Nice race report for the mile and glad you enjoyed the experience. When you're in the midst of marathon training a mile race would definitely be a change of pace (pun intended).

Marby: Sounds like a good plan, I put you down for the 5th. You'll be racing the same day as the CIM legions.

Flavio: That 6 x 1 mile workout was awesome and definitely of sub 3 (way sub 3) caliber. Even more so since you ran it on the road and not a track.

Cal: Great result that you could modify to easy running and get through the injury. Congrats on the mileage PR for 2021.

jhudak: Glad the hamstring is alright now.

My week: I was also one of the many who had a minor injury that thankfully went away quickly. As I already mentioned in response to JMac, it was a strain on the top of my foot which I likely got from walking both our dogs at the same time and one of them surged after a squirrel and honestly I'm lucky my arm is still attached. I had a good LR yesterday guided by HR. The 12E I kept HR below 140, and for the 8M kept it at or below my normal marathon racing HR range (165-169). A couple of the miles were faster due to having a lot of downhill; even with the faster pace the HR stayed in the 150s. It always amazes me how much elevation changes effect HR for me. At one point during the first 12 at easy pace, I looked and HR was 116! I though it was not reading correctly, but realized I had just gone down a fairly long gradual downhill. Once things leveled out it crept back up to the 130s.

in ft
                      09/06 Morning Run 12.02 19.35 1:41:29 8:27 5:15 702
                      09/08 Morning Run 13.19 21.22 01:44:33 7:56 4:56 863
                      09/09 Morning Run 10.12 16.28 1:24:28 8:21 5:11 584
                      09/10 Morning Run 8.12 13.07 1:06:49 8:14 5:07 469
                      09/11 Long run: 12E + 8M (6:22) + 2E 22.08 35.52 2:38:31 7:11 4:28 1001
                      09/12 Trail Run 8.25 13.27 1:16:49 9:19 5:47 535

Total distance: 73.78 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

JT kiwi men are born with that attraction to sheep 🐑 👌

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dw - so much hassle to run a 1 mile race!  oooof.

Nice job anyway!  It sounds like the start was a bit of a cluster f...

For the over-50s, they've always put the men and women together (which is tough for the faster women).  A few years ago, a woman right behind me clipped my heel at the start.  I didn't lose balance, but she went down hard... bloodied knees and palms and then got trampled.  I should have stopped to help her, but I just kept running. I still feel a bit guilty...

pm me if you come to town again sometime, and have time for a run (ie you jogging, and me tempo-ing)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've only had one shot so far so excuse me if I'm moody, it's that time of the month 😃

Must have been a shot in the glute because you’re being a pain in the butt. Lol

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - It’s insane what you can do. 

Hmm, I’m feeling this annoying niggle, let me run 95 easy miles instead.

It’s like you’re built of titanium or something.

I wonder what you can pull off in the dead lift. I'm fairly certain you can do at least 1.5x your body weight.

It's funny we tend to take the things/characteristics we have for granted. The other day an older lady asked me to fetch something in the top shelf at the supermarket. I never go around thinking ooohhh it's nice that I can reach things in high places 😂

JHud - isn’t it so annoying, you’re getting in the groove and them BAM, something happens to mess it up.

I guess our bodies crave for a certain routine.

JT - fantastic week, that long run was the bomb!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - I've reached out to nimmals twice on Strava to see if he's running this 10K this weekend but he hasn't responded at all. Maybe I'll run into him at the race and try to catch up with him.

Cal - smart training as always by you. The super high easy mileage for a week will help in the long run as well.

Flavio - I commented on Strava but that was interesting workout with marathon pace built in.

DW - it's funny you say you would go crazy running the 6 mile loop in Central Park. It goes to what I was saying a few posts ago: I actually find that it flies by. I think a lot of that has to do with people watching: there's so much going on that you are constantly entertained. I saw a guy riding his bike in the Next% yesterday! But anyway, it goes with anything: I've run 12 mile out and back on trails and think wow, I'd hate to do this every day, it's so boring. But when you run the same thing a lot, you find it actually goes by quicker. I'd also add that I mix it up a lot in CP with my routes, but also run down the West Side Highway for my long runs because you can easily do 20+ by doing an out and back.

JT - What shape do you think you're legitimately in, because every workout you've done lately says sub 2:50 is looking very likely unless something goes wrong race day. You always pester me about being in such good shape so now I'm getting back at your for it .

Me - Another good week for me. My fitness has been increasing exponentially. My LT pace of 5:44 is now right in line with where I was during this time during my PR cycle. My 10 miles at MP also went very well on Friday. I always forget just how hard MP is, so my first mile was sluggish, but then was easily doing 6:00. Had a few miles click in 10-15 seconds too fast, which is the best feeling during MP when you have to dial it back a touch. Felt good enough I could have gotten 2 more done, which is exactly how I feel every MP run should end (whereas my LT runs I feel pretty spent and am unsure if another 2 mile interval is in me). I have been doing these workouts in some old vaporflies, so there might be a bit of a boost there, but feeling good.

This will be a down week for me. I always use races as a time to drop my mileage 20-30% as a recovery week. I now think it's reasonable for me to set an A goal of a PR this weekend, but again the course logistics make it tough. Recent workouts suggest a 34:45, so it'll be close!

ETA: failed to check the forecast before I posted. Looks like the humidity is returning, with temps and dew points around 70 race morning. Not good, hopefully it'll change. But weather-adjusted, I think sub 35:XX would be great.

in ft
                                09/06 Afternoon Run 10.37 16.68 01:19:22 07:39 04:45 417
                                09/07 8E + 3x2T (5:44) + 2E 16.19 26.05 01:56:17 07:11 04:28 591
                                09/08 Lunch Run 6.39 10.28 00:53:25 08:22 05:12 217
                                09/09 Morning Run 10.39 16.72 01:22:04 07:54 04:54 364
                                09/10 4E + 10M (6:03) + 2E 16.01 25.75 01:50:58 06:56 04:19 584
                                09/11 Morning Run 5.67 9.13 00:49:25 08:43 05:25 171
                                09/12 Lunch Run 10.43 16.78 01:22:10 07:53 04:54 410

Total distance: 75.44mi

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)