Neck and shoulder pain after long runs (Read 111 times)

About a month ago, I started getting neck and shoulder pain after long runs.  There hasn't been any major changes in my running form or shoes or even in life.  I'm stumped about the cause and wonder if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms of mysterious origins?   

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

I possibly had a similar issue earlier this year. My shoulder/back would hurt in two areas: right on the edge of the right shoulder blade on my back and across the top of my deltoid. It only really started to hurt when I went running at first, but then it slowly started to hurt all the time.

This is all self-diagnosis, so take it with a huge grain of salt. It felt like my right shoulder was always twisted forward and in due to my posture when using the computer.  To fix it, I started working on consciously pulling my shoulder back when using the computer. I also added handstands and pulling work to my strength stuff. Seemed to work for me, but I haven't run any long distances in a while. At its peak, it hurt after about half an hour of running. I can run for 45 minutes now without noticing it at all, and it's out of my daily thought.

So maybe weak shoulders and/or neck muscles?

I have this, but I know exactly where it comes from in my case. I have a mild case of scoliosis and as a result my pelvis is slightly tilted (one of my legs looks shorter than the other but they are really equally long). My right shoulder is lower than the left. I get shoulder pain frequently when working on the computer or on the long runs. Core work helps. Also shaking out my arms and shoulders during the run and trying to run as relaxed as possible. I tend to tense up in the races or running on difficult courses (hills for example) and I almost always get shoulder pain during one.

Thanks for the replies. The great thing about this forum is that there is always someone with similar experiences.

Now that I think about it, I stopped doing a lot of core work (cross-fit and yoga) to focus on increasing the distance. It was probably the case of "robbing Peter to pay Paul" that cost me here.  I'll re-allocate the precious time to stretching and core work and see if that helps.  I appreciate y'all!

NHLA

Are you running lots of hills?  Running down Echo Mt. will make my back hurt.

Tai Chi really helps. Works your core in every direction.

I have been useing a stand up desk for years when on the computer.

dktrotter

Dorothea

Former trauma to the collarbone/shoulder may cause the pain. Also, as I noticed yesterday, if the wires for the headphones connecting to a smartphone or MP3 player that's carried on the arm are strung too tight, that may be causing your neck to move differently to keep the earbuds in, and therefore cause extra tension in that area. I noticed the moment I finally took the earbuds out and the armband off, I had immediate relief.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Are you running lots of hills?  Running down Echo Mt. will make my back hurt.

Tai Chi really helps. Works your core in every direction.

I have been useing a stand up desk for years when on the computer.

It' the uphill that gets me. I seem to just tense up, I really need to work on this.

Also working on my laptop placed on my lap while sitting on the couch is much better for me than working on the desktop computer. I don't need to raise my shoulder while holding the mouse. I´m really short and that plays a role in this. Maybe if I put a pillow on the office chair...