New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

..If you aren't using the advanced/custom workouts for the Garmin Forerunners, you really aren't using the watch to its fullest.

What does this even mean? You can always say, if you aren't using every dumb obscure function, then you aren't using the watch to its fullest. But that seems silly.

But if you mean that not using advanced/custom garmin workouts necessarily means inferior training, then I don't believe you.

(Fixed grammar in quote.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I will combat your tone with equal tone. You can take your grammar fixin' arse and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Inferior training, or training, in general has nothing to do with my comment. I'm not raggin' on someone's training, but if some one is running say 8 x (2min on/2min off) and is hitting the lap button manaully each time, that's not using the watch to its fullest potential.

Have fun being a grammer nazi! (misspelling intentional)

I will combat your tone with equal tone. You can take your grammar fixin' arse and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Inferior training, or training, in general has nothing to do with my comment. I'm not raggin' on someone's training, but if some one is running say 8 x (2min on/2min off) and is hitting the lap button manaully each time, that's not using the watch to its fullest potential.

Have fun being a grammer nazi! (misspelling intentional)

I'm using the 305 right now, and kind of miss a bunch of things about my 201 (the light, for one), but the GPS performance increase is worth using the 305. I don't tailor my training to my watch, the point of the GPS watch is two things to me: Speedometer and odometer.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I apologize for fixing the grammar; I had no intention of upsetting you. Please, feel free to play with grammer in any way you enjoy.

My point was a logical one - I really don't understand this:

Why should we feel compelled to make use of every feature they put into the gadget?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've decided on the 220.  I don't really care about the touch screen and don't need the extra training virtual vo2max yaddayaddayadda stuff. So I went to pick one up yesterday at my local run shop (I have a credit there which will cover half more more).  BUT, they only had them with HRMs and I don't want that (I have a box of HRMs at home that I don't use).  So, they have to order one for me.  :-(

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

joescott

Bummer, Dave!  Well, I hope when you get it that it will have been worth the wait.  Personally, I think the 220 is darn near a perfect product for a hard core runner.  Guys who already know what they are doing don't really need all the extra bells and whistles, although there are some who are gadget guys or data digesters who want it all, and I think there are also less experienced runners who can benefit from the additional features of the 620.  There's a place for both products, but each is not for everyone, for sure.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I just got an email from Garmin re: black friday with some selected (though unspecified) items on sale.   I'm sure the new watches won't be on sale, but just wanted to let people know to keep an eye on their website if interested.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

BillO

Has anyone nailed down the correct order of operations for uploading workouts via Bluetooth with your phone?  I get it to work, but it seems to fail and there are no real instructions..

Tim_Easterday

I just got my 620 and so far I'm not sure what to think about this new device. I have a lot of mixed feelings. While they added some cool features they took a big step back in the "user friendliness" department, IMO. What really shocked me at first was how bad the display is. There is very little contrast between the background and the information you are looking at. And I see no adjustment for contrast like I have on my 310XT. In good light I still needed to hold it close to my face to read it. I'll probably be draining the battery quite a bit because I will need to keep the backlight on all the time. As mentioned before, all the steps needed to end a workout are much more work than just hitting "stop" on my 310XT. And all that messing around on the touchscreen gets it all smeared up. It makes me wonder if Garmin has any runners on their staff or even consulted with runners in the design. I'm still debating whether or not to send the 620 back.

BillO

Have you used it outside in daylight?  The contrast on my 220 is amazing. I'd say it rivals the contrast in a Kindle e-reader.  It looks like printed text to me.

Tim_Easterday

We haven't seen the sun for a while and probably won't until next week. Hopefully the display will be better when we get back to nice weather.

Have you used it outside in daylight?  The contrast on my 220 is amazing. I'd say it rivals the contrast in a Kindle e-reader.  It looks like printed text to me.

joescott

A couple of thoughts for Tim.  I hope they are helpful.

You are right that the 620 display is not as crisp as it could be; it's not as crisp as the 220 (which I think is frankly amazing) because of the touch screen in front of the display that is not there on the 220.  I'm sorry the contrast is not up to your expectations.  I personally find it nevertheless good in outdoor use during daylight hours, and I definitely prefer the high resolution screen and much smaller form factor than the 310XT.  During my early and dark runs (which probably are 90+% of my runs) I use the backlight, and for me, even with 47 year old eyes, it seems quite good in that use case.

One thing I'm unsure of is what you mean by "all the steps needed to end a workout".  On the 620, I just hit Stop and Save.  And that's it.  I could page back out to the clock screen, I guess, but I often don't bother and instead just throw the watch on the kitchen counter while I go shower and it does it's thing and times out.  Were you meaning something different?  Or what steps are you following that are adding a lot more complexity?

"It makes me wonder if Garmin has any runners on their staff or even consulted with runners in the design."  Now, you're just starting to hurt my feelings.  Smile  (Maybe not... one sometimes has to have pretty thick skin around RA)!  I can assure you that in fact Garmin has a TON of runners on staff, and on the Fitness staff in particular there is a disproportionately high number of runners, cyclists and triathletes.  Even regarding little ol' me, never an elite or even college level runner, I think I nevertheless qualify as a "real runner" by virtue of many thousands of miles, 20 marathons, and pretty good race results for an old dude.  I now use the Forerunner 620 as my primary training device.  In my opinion it is the best running product Garmin has ever made, and I don't even mean from a feature standpoint.  Even if it didn't have all the new skippy advanced features, I love it because it's lightweight, thin, comfortable to wear, has a high resolution screen that I find very easy to read, a nice bright backlight, and I like the touchscreen for easily getting around the watch.

For you, though, I wonder if the 220 might be the best product we have for you.  It sounds like you don't see a lot of value in the touch screen and you'd like the display to be a little more crisp and higher contrast.  To me that sounds like the 220 would be a perfect solution to the things that bug you about the 620.  Whatever you decide, best of luck.

- Joe

joescott

Has anyone nailed down the correct order of operations for uploading workouts via Bluetooth with your phone?  I get it to work, but it seems to fail and there are no real instructions..

Bill, have you successfully paired it to your iPhone?

- Joe

xhristopher

Tim, Instead of leaving the backlight on all the time why not just tap the button to illuminate the display when you want to check your watch. I run in the dark most of the time during winter with my 610 and do this without an issue, even when running workouts.

Tim_Easterday

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Just a little grumpy this morning. I specifically bought the 620 for the WiFi, running dynamics, VO2max, and recovery features. The touchscreen is not a big deal for me either way. I guess I just need to get out there and run a few times with it and see how it goes. As far as the extra steps, you hit the button to stop, scroll down, then hit save. At least that's what I remember but I'm at work and don't have it in front of me right now. On my 310XT I just hit the button once and I'm done (and I don't need to look at anything - I know where the button is).

Also, I didn't mention that I also go biking and was sad to see no bike mode. Now I need to keep the 310XT around for biking as well as navigation when out wondering around the national forest.

What I would love is a device with a square screen layout like the 310XT, but thinner like the 620 with all the 620 features plus biking & navigation. Come out with one of those and I'll buy it in a second.

For you, though, I wonder if the 220 might be the best product we have for you.  It sounds like you don't see a lot of value in the touch screen and you'd like the display to be a little more crisp and higher contrast.  To me that sounds like the 220 would be a perfect solution to the things that bug you about the 620.  Whatever you decide, best of luck.