First 100 mile Month!!! (Read 1117 times)

JakeKnight

Congrats to all on your milestones - and thanks JakeKnight for the advice - I just read the chapter on quality of running and staying injury free in a beginner running book (I don't remember what it's called) that I'm reading as I'm progressing thru my C25k regimen.
    You're welcome. The single most important factor in running longer or better or faster - is not getting injured. Most of us ignore that, assume training harder (rather than smarter) will be better ... and sooner or later, pay the price. I'm trying very hard to learn that trick. It's hard for us "all or nothing" types to understand that consistency over time beats massive effort on an inconsistent basis.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or ... you need to lay off the Ho-Ho's. That's also a possibility. Dead
      That's my problem...which is why I've put on a few pounds and my clothes are no looser than when I started running in late March. *kicks self in the ass* Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Tee hee! Big grin I'm really really close to that milestone myself... it'll be hit or miss by about a mile or two, depending on how Saturday's long run goes... If I hadn't-a hurt my foot while getting new shoes this month (grrrr!) I'd be over it for sure! There seem to be a fair number of us trying to crack that imaginary barrier this month... Kudos to all!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tee hee! Big grin I'm really really close to that milestone myself... it'll be hit or miss by about a mile or two, depending on how Saturday's long run goes... If I hadn't-a hurt my foot while getting new shoes this month (grrrr!) I'd be over it for sure! There seem to be a fair number of us trying to crack that imaginary barrier this month... Kudos to all!
          *fingers-crossed* I missed it that you hurt your foot--I know a thing or two about new shoe related boo boos... Did the shoes end up working out after all? I crossed the 100 mile finish line this AM, so I will run back to cheer you on! Go, girl!!! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

You're welcome. The single most important factor in running longer or better or faster - is not getting injured. Most of us ignore that, assume training harder (rather than smarter) will be better ... and sooner or later, pay the price. I'm trying very hard to learn that trick. It's hard for us "all or nothing" types to understand that consistency over time beats massive effort on an inconsistent basis.
            i found this out the hard way as well..in one of my 5mile weekday run i felt good and ended up working really hard to cut my pace to 9:15 (lightning speed for me) instead of my usual 10 - 10:15...the next day my knee hurts, can't do a run, lost few more days and since then have to slow my training down and run with a knee brace to have a relatively pain free runs...

Marathonmanleto

Keep up the good work! Looks like you're on your way to being hooked.
              JakeKnight

i found this out the hard way as well..in one of my 5mile weekday run i felt good and ended up working really hard to cut my pace to 9:15 (lightning speed for me) instead of my usual 10 - 10:15...the next day my knee hurts, can't do a run, lost few more days and since then have to slow my training down and run with a knee brace to have a relatively pain free runs...
                Yup. I have a theory that it takes injuring yourself at least 3 times before this lesson starts to sink in. And they have to be stress-injuries caused by too much upping the mileage, and they have to be severe enough injuries to completely screw up your running and keep you off your feet for a few weeks, so that it finally hits you that - because you were stupid - all that extra (extra stupid) hard work actually made you fatter and slower. Me, I'm at injury 2.5 right now. One more moment of abject stupidity and I might have learned my lesson. I am happy to say that I'm rapidly approaching being in the best shape of my life, and its not a coincidence that I'm also in the middle of my longest injury free period. Ironically (and I'm not naming names!), there are at least a couple people right on this thread alone that (I peeked!) have doubled their mileage in a month or two and are busy chasing more mileage, just so that they too can learn the lesson the hard way. Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Right on! I'm pretty close to 100 also...depends on my schedule. Just can't seem to get up and run at 5am, and that's the latest I'd be able to go and still get to work on time. Funny, I never liked running for the sake of running only...until I had a health scare and needed to ramp it up a bit. I just started the second week of Aug. and now love it!
                    Hey folks, I've been a runner, off and on, for most of my life. But I've never kept a log of how far I've run. After moving to Tampa a few months ago I again strapped on my running shoes, this time with a view toward slowly increasing milage, quickly decreasing stress, and hopefully feeling comfortable enough to do a marathon. I was lucky enough to have a good running partner while I was on a ship in the Pacific a couple of years ago. (Yeah, we would run 3 miles on the deck of the ship...very hard on the knees!!!) He would always motivate me to get out of my workspace, and get out to run. When we pulled into port, we'd either go out on longer runs alone or hook up with the local HHH group to enjoy the countryside in places like Shanghai, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, and Sydney, just to name a few. Even though I never closely tracked my runs, I was having a great time, but running through the pain. Now, while concentrating on increasing milage slowly, closely monitoring my pace, and tracking my daily runs, I'm having more fun, running farther, increasing my endurance, and enjoying the commaraderie of the folks on this website. Thanks again for offering a great place for folks with 'running problems' to gather, share ideas, and hopefully learn something new about an activity we all love. As I logged my first 100 mile month, I reflected on the run that put me over the top. I had a no-notice trip to go to Washington DC on Tuesday night. I got up early on Wednesday, ran to the Capitol, down the Mall, through the Washington Monument and WWII Memorial, up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, around the White House, then back to near Union Station. It was a perfect morning. Beautiful sunrise, 60 degrees, no humidity. Eight miles came so easily. What a great way to break 100! Thanks again and Have Fun ONON Marc
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

*fingers-crossed* I missed it that you hurt your foot--I know a thing or two about new shoe related boo boos... Did the shoes end up working out after all? I crossed the 100 mile finish line this AM, so I will run back to cheer you on! Go, girl!!! Big grin k
                      Um... that was me learning that I needed to be more proactive in making sure that shoes fit before leaving the much-touted "specialty running shop"... where the sales clerk didn't bother to check anything about my gait or my shoes. Blush First pair of shoes he shoved at me I could barely squeeze my feet into. Second pair I thought fit okay. Took them out for an hour (was supposed to be longer), discovered that I'd forgotten that feet swell on runs - I was rubbing the end of the toe box without sliding - , and what I was sure were blisters brought me back in. The next day (and for the next now week-and-a-half) it was sore to the touch on top. I traded up in sizes, and they fit ... *now*! Got a nice little bruise on the top of my foot, too, from that escapade. Lesson learned: I am the best judge of whether or not a shoe fits my foot. And just because someone works at a specialty running store doesn't mean that they necessarily care about whether or not I have a good pair of shoes for my feet! Roll eyes

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ironically (and I'm not naming names!), there are at least a couple people right on this thread alone that (I peeked!) have doubled their mileage in a month or two and are busy chasing more mileage, just so that they too can learn the lesson the hard way. Tongue
                        Hah! You could probably count me in that group, or at least close to it! Fortunately, I'm pretty close to the long-term goal I have of milage I'm thinking I should be doing. Things should level out in a few weeks and I'm hoping to hold that for a good while... like half a year or more. And I've had one... okay, two counting the shoes... self-inflicted injuries to help remind me to be cautious in my training... Big grin

Hi All, just thought I'd throw in that if you're increasing miles at 10% a week (which seems to be the "safe" increase number), your monthly miles add up pretty fast. The montly milage increase ends up being about 46% (for a 4 week month), so if you start with 40 miles a month: Month 1: 40 miles Month 2: 85 miles Month 3: 125 miles Month 4: 183 miles Month 5: 269 miles This is of course assuming you stay on track of 10% a week Big grin. Starting at 50 mile weeks gets you to 100 by month 2. Congrats to all, though! I'm topping out at 47 this month, which is a feat for me Shy!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi All, just thought I'd throw in that if you're increasing miles at 10% a week (which seems to be the "safe" increase number), your monthly miles add up pretty fast.
                            Very true--it's that old exponential thing. Although I think I will probably max out at 125 miles/month or so now that Winter is around the corner. I will be making up for it with indoor cross/strength training, though. k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

101.2 miles this AM...i actually would have been short 1.5 mile since I thought my wife was gonna leave the car at one place, but she ended up leaving the car at home so had to run the extra 1.5 mile and thus allowing me to join the Century Month Club. Now, can we get medals for this milestone ?
                              Wingz

Professional Noob