Evening Runs (hard) followed with Morning Run (Long) (Read 130 times)

tomatolover

Gotta physiology question for those of you who know these things…while i prefer to run in the AM, I have to be at work to early to get my runs in and thus, during the week, my runs are all evening based. As per running wizard, my friday (pm) use is my out and back or hills, followed by my saturday (am) long run.  I feel very worn out at the end of saturday's run and really look forward to rest and i'm wondering  if the relatively short lag period between workouts (12 hours generally) is really a dumb ass idea.  Any thoughts?

an amazing likeness

"Dumb"?  No.

Have an impact? Probably.

Have a positive impact? Probably.

You have 12 hours less recovery when starting your long run on Sat AM versus your other runs. So, you are starting on less fresh legs. It does have an impact -- but, actually, starting your long run on less refreshed legs can be good in terms of making your long run better training for late in the race when you may be faltering. But it can be bad if it impacts how well you execute the long run.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

I can't say its a dumb idea. But you're running 55% of your weekly mileage in about an 18 hour span Friday evening to Sunday morning. So yeah I'd expect you yo be a bit pooped at the end of your long run.

Runners run

tomatolover

I can't say its a dumb idea. But you're running 55% of your weekly mileage in about an 18 hour span Friday evening to Sunday morning. So yeah I'd expect you yo be a bit pooped at the end of your long run.

my thoughts---i'm injury prone as hell and thus uberprone to fears of youshouldknownbetta… next question: does my body count this as a double?

mikeymike

does my body count this as a double?

Your body doesn't know what doubles are. It knows stress and recovery.

Runners run