Why do we make it so complicated? (Read 1732 times)

Feeling the growl again

Remember the old days when we had freedom of choice. Just think of how boring this thread would be if people could train the way that they wanted and used whatever "gadgets" or "programs" they wanted. Imagine if people actually posted new training ideas, if people posted little tips that helped them in their training without being told that they were wrong. Perhaps the "Running Taliban" will get over the fact that the use of technology is not the mother of all evil because it is different from their chosen workout plan.
    Imagine if some people didn't stop maturing at age 12. Is there an "ignore" feature on this site? I don't come here for this kind of crap. So someone doesn't agree with you, so you equate them to a regime that kills girls who soil the family reputation and oppress a whole country? Talk about chuckin' rocks in a glass house...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Lane

Imagine if some people didn't stop maturing at age 12. Is there an "ignore" feature on this site? I don't come here for this kind of crap. So someone doesn't agree with you, so you equate them to a regime that kills girls who soil the family reputation and oppress a whole country? Talk about chuckin' rocks in a glass house...
      I'm insulted by the fact that you lump people like me in with people who compare other people to the Taliban. Remaining at the maturity level of a 12-year old has made college much more enjoyable. For example, it allowed me and my friends to snicker all through an advanced physics class while the professor was talking about air resistance. Not that that's funny, but it cracks me up when he keeps comparing the way two balls drop. I guess I'll take it seriously and be sensitive to that fact that I took it seriously. In any case, I think that if it makes you feel happy (and geeky) to run with gadgets, do it. If it makes you happy (and smug) to run without gadgets, more power to you. Run in a way that makes you feel the best. Finally, I need a troll-score card to determine who has called who a troll, who is a troll, and who has been declared a troll. I can't follow this converation, especially reading it as fast as I can for 30 seconds at a time and then at a leisurely pace for 60 seconds. MTA: I like logging my runs and my watch and all of the complicated stuff. But I also enjoy integration by parts, so I guess I'm far from normal.

Feeling the growl again

I'm insulted by the fact that you lump people like me in with people who compare other people to the Taliban. Remaining at the maturity level of a 12-year old has made college much more enjoyable. For example, it allowed me and my friends to snicker all through an advanced physics class while the professor was talking about air resistance. Not that that's funny, but it cracks me up when he keeps comparing the way two balls drop. I guess I'll take it seriously and be sensitive to that fact that I took it seriously. In any case, I think that if it makes you feel happy (and geeky) to run with gadgets, do it. If it makes you happy (and smug) to run without gadgets, more power to you. Run in a way that makes you feel the best. Finally, I need a troll-score card to determine who has called who a troll, who is a troll, and who has been declared a troll. I can't follow this converation, especially reading it as fast as I can for 30 seconds at a time and then at a leisurely pace for 60 seconds. MTA: I like logging my runs and my watch and all of the complicated stuff. But I also enjoy integration by parts, so I guess I'm far from normal.
        Nobody lumped you with anybody, buddy....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

A Saucy Wench

Nobody lumped you with anybody, buddy....
          ...he was making a funny

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

My Hero

Imagine... Whirled peas.

Feeling the growl again

...he was making a funny
              Then hehe....excuse me, I'm just sick and crotchety i guess.

jfa

Then hehe....excuse me, I'm just sick and crotchety i guess.
                Could be you're just a little tired from the very fast running that you're doing Cool

Could be you're tired from the very fast running that you're doing
                  And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

my couch does has some serious hills. Here's a HR chart of me laying on the couch when my Garmin was still a shiny new toy.
                      Very nice...
                      I'm not into all the Garmin-type things mainly because they're so pricey, but if someone else want to use them, it's no business of mine.
                      Obviously we need a forum for people who like gadgets a lot, and want to buy even more than they can use, to hook up with people who want to be given extra gadgets without outlaying cash -- Gadget Reallocation Forum. Sign me up, I want to be given someone else's fancy extra toys.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros, I tried to write some witty reply that ended up sounding stupid. I don't like writing nasty things about people. This was started over a misunderstanding. We should be kind and respectful to each other. That's all that I meant.

I know I'm joining this one late. Over on some hiking forums I frequent (my other passion) they have a saying "HYOH" -- Hike Your Own Hike (usually followed by ", man"). Sometimes HYOFH if dicussion gets heated. For some, the beauty of the sport is its simplicity. For others the beauty of the simpicity is revealed in the (allegedly complex) numbers and stats, as quantified with gadgets. I for one would probably not be running today if I had continued the path I was on without discovering through HRM and lots of reading that I was running way too fast. Even though I thought I was at a "'comfortable" pace, I was always on the verge of injury. Now that I have learned more, I have abandoned the gadgets and run more by feel, and time. But I would have been running at 90% race pace on my easy runs had I not gone through the complicated gadget phase. To each their own. Today I mainly use a Gamin 305 so I don't have to obsess over distance using maps or odometers. Near impossible to do on trails, besides. I see it as simplification. So to paraphrase, RYOR, man.
                          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I know I'm joining this one late. Over on some hiking forums I frequent (my other passion) they have a saying "HYOH" -- Hike Your Own Hike (usually followed by ", man"). Sometimes HYOFH if dicussion gets heated. .
                            Seriously? Hiking (I don't do it much - don't engage in hiking forums) to me embodies getting out there and doing your own thing. It surprises me on the surface (although a little deeper down, people are people) that there would be much bickering at all in that sport.