Strained lower abs from too much LSD? (Read 293 times)

Feeling the growl again

Not sure where you're going with this; to my way of thinking, if any given part of the body is needing to be stronger to support running, then running will exercise that part of the body to the point where it will get stronger.

Just the other day, you told someone to stop running until their shin splints resolved.  But by your own logic, if their shins needed to be stronger to handle running then the running would strengthen them and they wouldn't get shin splints to begin with.

Plyometrics, weight training, and core work are done to varying extents by virtually all professional runners with whom I am familiar.  What do you know that they don't?

Muscles need a certain level of stimulus in order to get a strengthening response.  The act of running does not necessarily reach the needed level of stimulus needed to create a response robust enough to generate core strength sufficient to prevent imbalance and injury.

MTA:  Don't you run on trails because you get injured if you run on paved surfaces?  If running provides all the stimulus you need to strengthen your body, and you have perfect running form, how could this be?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Has anyone seen sprinters' legs?  They must run a kajillion miles a week!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

if any given part of the body is needing to be stronger to support running, then running will exercise that part of the body to the point where it will get stronger.

Mind = blown.

You should write a training book. Sport jester can write the prologue. You guys will be rich.

Runners run

Latent Runner

Mind = blown.

You should write a training book. Sport jester can write the prologue. You guys will be rich.

Sorry of my years of observations don't line up with your gospel of running.  Actually, no I'm not, I could care less whether you agree or not, I do and coach what works.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Feeling the growl again

Sorry of my years of observations don't line up with your gospel of running.  Actually, no I'm not, I could care less whether you agree or not, I do and coach what works.

You have not explained the inconsistencies in your logic, your issues with pavement and your body strengthening in response to running on it, and the recommendations you have coached to others regarding shin splints.  Please clarify.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Sport jester can write the prologue.

Oh Princess. 

There. That's done.

Not at it at all. 

Latent Runner

You have not explained the inconsistencies in your logic, your issues with pavement and your body strengthening in response to running on it, and the recommendations you have coached to others regarding shin splints.  Please clarify.

And continue to expose myself to a peanut gallery of snide comments; thanks, I pass.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

I could care less whether you agree or not,

So, then, you DO care (at least a little) whether mikey agrees or not?

Kalsarikännit

expose myself to a peanut gallery of snide comments

I always thought that was in the terms of agreement.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

And continue to expose myself to a peanut gallery of snide comments; thanks, I pass.

So I ask an honest question, and your response is essentially to insult my intentions and dodge it?

Look, there is little real science in running for a lot of good reasons so we can have intelligent debates and conversations based on different experiences.  But if your response to a couple simple, honest questions is to insult my intentions, I guess that sort of tells me what is there to support the position.  If you're going to take a position that stands in stark contrast to a large body of experience practiced by runners of all levels, you should not be insulted when you are asked to provide some context on what supports that position.

rlopez

I suppose it could be said with my absence that the peanut gallery of snide comments was not as big.

Do your core work.  You will be much happier as a runner.

And you will look good naked.

Bonus.

Not trying to hijack the thread... but a question please?

You're saying, if I understand this correctly, that if my core muscles are weak then other muscles will have to work harder to compensate for that weakness.

The problem with other muscles over-compensating is that

a) this will affect running form and impact performance?

b) this will result in injury?

c) some combination of a & b?

d) none of the above?

I'm curious because I'm fairly certain I have impaired core muscle tone as a result of multiple pregnancies. I love running & detest crunches.

I generally run very slowly, but am pain free.

Just wondering how those crunches will help me. Besides looking better sans clothing.

Thanks

bhearn

The problem with other muscles over-compensating is that

a) this will affect running form and impact performance?

b) this will result in injury?

c) some combination of a & b?

Yes

I love running & detest crunches.

I generally run very slowly, but am pain free.

Just wondering how those crunches will help me. Besides looking better sans clothing.

They won't. Your rectus abdominis (six-pack muscles) are basically good for sitting up (and looking good naked). It's the deeper abdominals that are useful for running. You can skip the crunches.

You can skip the crunches.

Thanks, I do believe I will.

If you doubt that core work is important for runners, simply type "core work and running" into a search engine and see what pops up!

While I was waiting for an answer I did a search "core for runners" and bhearn was right, I don't have to do crunches.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/training/the-crunchless-core-workout-for-runners_78042

It appears that doing core work is not for our abs, but for pelvic stability. The exercises are really easy. Yes, I tried them. Perhaps I'm not as core challenged as I thought.