Google Earth (Read 1291 times)

Okay, so my technique needs a little work as evidenced by this video, but here is the idea...

1) Go out for a run with my Garmin watch

2) Export a GPX file

3) Import the same file into google earth and record the 3D flyover

4) Add a little music and some editing

5) Post to Youtube

This was a run I did in Paris the other day (vacation).  The GPS points are a little out (I am not spiderman flying over buildings) and I need to do a better job of encircling the landmarks (Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc.) so they are more visible but other than that I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcwauI_NSJM

2014 Goals

Weight - 200 lbs (currently 211)

2000 miles?

Work on stretching and flexibility an stay healthy for Boston 2014 (have a BQ -9:00 time)

Marathon - 3:10 

HM 1:29:59

10k - 40:00

5k - 19:00

A Dance with Monkeys

Nice!

You can also slow down a touch and pan a bit wider to get the monuments.

Thanks

Will try that tomorrow.  Plan to hit the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, Champs D'Elysees and a few others tomorrow.

2014 Goals

2000 miles?

Work on stretching and flexibility an stay healthy for Boston 2014 (have a BQ -9:00 time)

That is cool! Makes me want to try Google earth now... How do you record the 3D flyover? Is that function built into Google earth? Or is that sort of a screen cap from a video editor?

They flyover is google earth and I captured it using quicktime video capture (screen capture)

Not sure if GoogleEarth has a built in video exported but I don't think so

2014 Goals

2000 miles?

Loved it!!

day after day sameness

3) Import the same file into google earth and record the 3D flyover

After I import the GPX (which works as expected)...can anyone give me some pointers on how to have Google Earth start the 3D flyover of the course I just imported? 

Update: Found it, all set.  Off to figure how to adjust the flyover altitude.....

I've done my best to live the right way; I get up every morning and go to work each day...

vegefrog

Cool!

Cool Jump Suit

Awesome!  I feel more cultured just having watched that.  How far was your run?  Were there a lot of runner's in Paris?

So bittersweet
                    This tragedy
                    Won't ask for absolution;
                    This melody
                    Inside of me
                    Still searches for solution;
                    A twist of faith
                    A change of heart 
                    Cures my infatuation;
                    A broken heart 
                    Provides the spark 
                    For my determination.

My first attempt, the San Francisco Marathon flyover. I exported to Google Earth from GTC, then somehow, found a way to play the tour and record it with Quicktime Player New Screen Recording.

Running in Paris was pretty cool.  So much to look at.

I didn't see all that many runners out when I was out but did see them at various other times of the day.

2014 Goals

2000 miles?

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

After I import the GPX (which works as expected)...can anyone give me some pointers on how to have Google Earth start the 3D flyover of the course I just imported? 

Update: Found it, all set.  Off to figure how to adjust the flyover altitude.....

Well, I give up.  I can't figure out how to get Google Earth to start the 3D flyover of the course I just imported.

And I'm not even hungover...

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Maniac

Can somebody tell me how to do this?  Be really specific....When you say "export" the file....How do you do that?  I upload my runs from my Garmin directly to RA....Not sure how I export them.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2013:

Run 3 Marathons in less than 6 weeks

•  PF Chang's Rock N Roll Arizona Marathon (1/20/2013--4:13:19)
                            •  Lost Dutchman Marathon (2/17/2013--4:34:27)
                            •  Phoenix Marathon (03/02/2013--4:17:31)

Run 1,500+ miles

Coastal

Too cool!