Marathon Training (Read 836 times)

gregallon

Hi everyone, I've been using this fantastic website for the past few months, but have not posted on the forum until now. I have entered my first marathon (in Edinburgh, Scotland) which takes place at the end of May. Although it is my first marathon, I'm targeting a sub-3'30 finish time, which feels realistic, based on my pace and the amount of training that I do. I have been looking at putting a 16 or 18 week programme training together, and have found plenty by way of google search, but I'd really appreciate it if any of you could recommend websites which you have used which provide a good, sensible training schedule. All thoughts much appreciated. Cheers Greg
    chriswood

Hi everyone and Greg!, I am new and decided to go looking for advice just like you! I am doing the Paris Marathon in April and like you I am looking to beat 3:30 - my current record is 3:40. Like you I would appreciate a good schedule to get me there. I read one schedule in "Mens Fitness" that implies running the marathon distance about 5 weeks before the big day - has anyone ever done that before? I thought it was always best to hold back not do the full distance - a steady build up to the big day? Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks Chris
        Hal Higdon offers plenty of training schedules built to your fitness level. www.halhigdon.com Pfitzinger also has some programs.
          I've never run a marathon, but have read several of the books. I'd recommend Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning (or his road racing also has a marathon section), Jack Daniel's Running Formula is a great book on running with a section on marathons (he uses 24 weeks though). I believe Jeff Galloway advocates running the full distance in practice, but as far as I know most others do not. Higdon's plans are all online and seem good but I like having a book with the physiological background behind everything that is being written. Just curious where you get the 3:30 number? As I contemplate a move up that seems to be the number that I think of as a somewhat conservative estimate. (edited to add: if you make your training log public, it helps people better answer questions and is also just simply interesting, unless you have reason not to do so)
          runninginmemphis

I'm a big fan of Pfitzinger's plans- I'm currently using his 18 week 55 mile plan. They can be found in his book, Advanced Marathoning, which I would highly recommend- not only for the training plans, but also for the information contained in the text. It provides a good physiology background and rationale as to why the training plans are setup as they are. Good luck! Laura Hey Makers- It looks like we have the same goal- I'm looking for a sub 4 hour marathon in Nashville as well! Good luck with your training.
            Laura
              I believe Jeff Galloway advocates running the full distance in practice, but as far as I know most others do not.
              I used the Galloway "To Finish" run/walk plan, and covered the Manchester City Marathon course at a very slow pace three weeks before the race. I missed a turn which resulted in a run of 27.8 miles, but I lived to tell the tale. His plans allow for a range of final long runs, anywhere from 24 to 30 miles. If you wind up on the lower end of the range, he recommends more walk breaks in the early part of the marathon. Even if you don't do it all at once, I would recommend running the course if possible so that you are familiar with it.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

gregallon

Thank you all for your replies - I'll have a look at your recommendations and see which feels right for me. Redrunner, Ive made my log public (I didn't realise that I'd made it private), although I'm not sure how much it will convey, as I've only been logging on here for a few months. 3.30 seems like a realistic target, although as my training progresses I guess I'll get a clearer picture of what is attainable. I can run 10k in about 43 minutes, so 3.30 definitely seems doable.
                  You might want to check out http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MMM/Forum I've run only four marathons so don't consider myself an expert. Cracking 3:30 is tough I think. There's a lot that can happen in 26 miles. I'm struggling to break 3:30 myself -- best 5K is 20:28, best 10K is 44:00, so I should be able to do it per the calculators. My times were 3:42, 3:31, 3:34, 3:34. I think I went out too fast in the last two (or improper hydration is also a possibility). 3:31 was on a very flat course (Chicago). First three marathons I used Pfitz 18/55. This one I'm using a home grown plan conceived by a friend of mine. I don't know what works yet. Best of luck.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

gregallon

Thanks for the info, WillRun. Possibly I'm being a little naive in the target that I've set, its all a bit of an unknown, and I'm aware that I'll only have a clear picture of what is realistic a lot nearer the date. But I'm happy to set an ambitious target as long as it is not completely unrealistic.
                      What I did to guage my first marathon was run a half about 5-6 weeks prior to the marathon. I plugged into the calculators, then gave myself some breathing room to assure I'd finish. E.g., I ran the Shamrock half marathon in VA Beach, VA (flat) before running my first marathon in Frederick, MD (rolling). My time was 1:38:45, which, per McMillan Running predicts a 3:28 or so full. I paced myself to run 3:40, and ended up with my 3:42 due to late race cramping and general slowing you'd expect at the end of a marathon. Could I have run it faster? Maybe. I had a little bit of kick at the end. But maybe not.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

seifert1427

I'm running my first marathon in about 10 days (Disney). I've been using the Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (FIRST) program. http://www.furman.edu/FIRST/fmtp.htm We'll see how I do on my first marathon and whether this program pays off. Runner's World profiled it several months. The thing I like about this program is it only requires 3 days/week of running (which allows for some rest/recovery). I still do cross-training/strength training on the other days, but I think this program has helped me prepare. Worth a look.
                          Be careful of relying too miuch on the marathon time projected by running calculators. Unless you have trained "adequately" for the marathon distance, which usually means very high mileage (70 miles/week or more), the projection is likely to be optimistic, which can result in trying to run a pace that is too fast and lead to late race problems, such as a crash or cramps. For more detailed comments, see http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id70.html.
                            Most beginner training programs suggest at least six months of 25 mile weeks as a prerequisite so unless you've been running more than your log shows, you don't have near enough base for the kind of training you'll need for a 3:30 finish. As Jim2 pointed out, that kind of time will require some high mileage training, something that will be out of reach with only three months of running under your belt. You should also realize that most training programs are 20 weeks long which means you should be actively training now for a May marathon. I used the Cool Running beginners training program for my first marathon and had been running 20-25 mile weeks for a full year before. That program peaked at 45 miles a week and it wasn't enough. I still ran into trouble in the last few miles. I would suggest that you back off on the 3:30 finish for your first marathon and concentrate on getting through the training in one piece. It's going to be a lot tougher than you think. Tom
                            gregallon

Jim and Figbash, many thanks for your cautionary words. I mentioned a bit earlier in the discussion that my running log that appears on hear is not very representative of the running that I have under my belt because I've been running for many years, and have been doing a solid 25 - 30 miles a week for the past year and a half - I only recently started using Running Ahead, and I've had a few injuries recently, but I'm now comfortably back to over 30 miles a week. So I totally take on board what you are saying about the need to be realistic, and as discussed, my intention is to assess what I am capable of much nearer the time, but I'm reasonably confident that I will be able to complete the course provided that I don't push it too much, and I would like to set an attainable target time. Thanks all for youe feedback, I'm going to have a closer look at the Pfitzinger plans.