Getting back into running shape (Read 283 times)

Dream Maker

I've been a runner since I was 13.  (almost 32 now.)  
    I am currently at such a low level of fitness I haven't seen since shortly after I started running as a teenager.   

How do you handle it - especially mentally - when you're trying to rebuild back into being a runner?  People who have BTDT, what things did you do?

I know I should celebrate improvements - and I'm trying - but it feels a little silly when it's just so much worse than that which you have done.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've been there many times, including right now (just resumed running after a long period of almost nothing).  You need to let go of the runner you were and focus on what you can do now.  Be patient, and persistent.  And I always tell myself, "you can't get it all back in one day."  That means avoid pushing yourself too hard, especially at first -- it's so much easier to get injured when you're older and out of shape.   Start very slow, and build up slow miles.  At the beginning, quantity is quality.  That is, at first you're better off building up with a lot of slow miles than a few fast ones.  Good Luck!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

If I go several months without running I basically have to start from scratch. Consistency is the first step with at least 3 runs each week of 20 minutes or more duration. It seems to take several weeks to get in a good base to build on and then I start increasing my run distance. I have made a lot of mapped courses starting from just a mile run to plus 20 miles. The increase between each successive course may be a quarter mile or less. I have also gotten back in shape by running each day one of my courses in distance order until I get up to a six mile run. At a certain point in becomes wise to take at least one rest day each week. I think if you have been in shape before it is easier to get back into it, at least you know what to expect. And looking at your running log you look like you are off to a good start with a string of 3 mile runs and losing weight. Don't be discouraged, don't overdo it, be patient and you will get back to where you were.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

louandjeff

I'm in a similar spot.  I took the last 18 months off due to injury and apathy and kept eating like I was still running 25 miles a week.  I knew it was time to get back when I started envying runners I saw as on the road and I dreaded having to wear a tie and use that top button.  I'm shooting for going slow, being consistent, and building a base.  Nothing fast just 30-40 minutes every day and making sure I find the time regardless of how busy my day is.  I'm trying to minimize walking, but I'm not killing myself.  I don't really even care about miles right now.  I also recommend you tell people what you are doing and set a goal - say a 10K this summer or a 1/2 in the fall.  It keeps you focused because people will ask you how your training is going for the 1/2 marathon.  Good luck and don't get frustrated or impatient.

I've been there many times, including right now (just resumed running after a long period of almost nothing).  You need to let go of the runner you were and focus on what you can do now.  Be patient, and persistent.  And I always tell myself, "you can't get it all back in one day."  That means avoid pushing yourself too hard, especially at first -- it's so much easier to get injured when you're older and out of shape.   Start very slow, and build up slow miles.  At the beginning, quantity is quality.  That is, at first you're better off building up with a lot of slow miles than a few fast ones.  Good Luck!

Heatherruns:

Perfectly worded.    believe me I know exactly what you are feeling. but its  time to let go, move on, & look  ahead!

jfa

Good advice here.

You're log looks good Heather. Don't be afraid to take rest days but you're being consistent.

That's the key. You've been there. You know what to do. Just be patient.

DoppleBock

I have not done it ... But I am in the start of my journey (week #8)  I have basically been in a spiral of not caring, nor training and putting on weight since a back / hip injury from skiing March 2, 2013.

I am currently 3 to 4 minutes a mile slower than 4 years ago ... 70 pounds heavier.  I am 8 weeks into "caring" again.

I started out by doing a 3 minute run to 2 minute walk ... repeat.  I now am doing 6 minute run to 1 minute walk ... repeat.  It might be the end of February before all I do is run.

Even at 3/2 - I still "train".  I set a plan and goals for each week.

*  Each week I am doing a 15-20 minute tempo (Running all 15-20 minutes)

*  Each week I do 6-10 reps x 1 minute faster (1.5 to 2 minutes faster per mile than Tempo)

*  Each week I do a long run

This is the same thing I would have done in "base building" for 4-6 weeks.  It is just that this period of base building will last 2-3 months or maybe 4-6 months?

The speed work allows me to feel like a runner ... to feel the moderate effort ... to feel accomplished after the run.  Each week I can do the workouts a little faster - That feels good.

I could run faster right now in my "every day" runs, but I am opting for distance and not speed.  This is mainly because my biggest asset to gain speed is to lose weight.

I signed up for a race in May to keep me focussed ... a long race (Ice Age 50 mile) ... one I cannot "participate" and still finish.

I will run my 1st shorter race (5k - 10k) in March.  I am hoping after the 1st one to feel motivation to race a couple time a month ... so see the improvement, even if I am slower.

I am committed that I will go from the 3/2 run / walk avg. of 12:00 -12:30 pace I started @ Thanksgiving to a sub 20 minite 5k in August, with a goal of breaking 19.

1) Have a plan

2) Have a goal

3) Figure out how to absolutely commit

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

HermosaBoy

1) Have a plan

2) Have a goal

Good stuff...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Joann Y

runnershawn

I've been a runner since I was 13.  (almost 32 now.)  
                      I am currently at such a low level of fitness I haven't seen since shortly after I started running as a teenager.   

How do you handle it - especially mentally - when you're trying to rebuild back into being a runner?  People who have BTDT, what things did you do?

I know I should celebrate improvements - and I'm trying - but it feels a little silly when it's just so much worse than that which you have done.

I returned to running 10 years ago and it was a battle of will along with physical injuries along the way.

The good thing is you will see huge improvements right away.  You do not want to compare to when you were in high school YET or ever depending on your ultimate goal.  Try to do every run\walk by time and do not focus on any miles as of yet.  Changing speeds is a good thing and may keep you away from overuse injuries. Just banging away at same pace , even coming back, is not good and will be hard to get improvements.  try doing some brisk telephone pickup\sprints after your walks\runs (nothing that will pull a muscle).  Keep the walks in your runs for a month or so before going into steady runs.  those in-between walk breaks will ultimately help your running

Here is an example of a week on your way back maybe:

Week 1:

Monday - OFF

Tuesday - 25 minutes total - alternate 5 minutes brisk walking and 5 minutes jogging

Wednesday - 25 minutes total - alternate 5 minutes brisk walking and 5 minutes jogging

Thursday - 25 minutes total - alternate 5 minutes brisk walking and 5 minutes jogging

Friday - OFF

Saturday - Feel free to alternate Saturday and Sunday

• 40 minutes total  - 5 minutes brisk walk
                      •                            - 10 minute jogging
                      •                            - 5 minutes brisk walking
                      •                             - 10 minutes jogging
                      •                              - 5 minutes brisk walking
                      •                              - 5 minutes jogging

Sunday - 25 minutes total - alternate 5 minutes brisk walking and 5 minutes jogging

Here might be 2-3 months out:

Monday - OFF

Tuesday - 20 minutes - jog 20 minutes

Wednesday - 35 minutes total - this is going to be a little intense.  We want to change speed through this.

Slowly jog 10 minutes then the next 15 minutes run faster for 2 minutes then slow walk/jog for 2 minutes till you are at 15 minutes

Then slow 10 minute jog

Thursday - 25 minutes jogging

Friday - OFF

Saturday - Feel free to alternate With Sunday

5 minutes very slow warm up

Run 10 minutes at your 5k pace

Slow walk jog for 5 minute

10 minutes at your 5 k pace

10 minutes slow cool down

Sunday - 20 minutes slow jog

Good Luck!!

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

If you find out the key let me know. I'm struggling to find my mojo. Too many cumulative injuries, very few running related, make it difficult. Just trying to put one foot in front of the other on a consistent basis is all I can currently shoot for.

Good luck

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

DoppleBock

When I think about it ... having that unwavering committment to a stretch goal has allowed me to do #4) very well in the past.  I have not had that since 2012 and what do you know - I have been on a down ward spiral since 2012.  Now I have committed to something big and bodacious.

1) Have a plan

2) Have a goal

4)  When you enter a doldrum or lose you mojo - Fake it until you find the wind behind your sails again.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I'm committing to it fully as well. I was never a great runner..but could sign up for and finish a marathon on a whim. I'm older, so that's probably not the case now. I am forgetting my past, and starting from scratch. Will run the Columbus Marathon in October. That was my first - and I signed up without having run more than a mile. So I think it's fitting that I return to a marathon in Columbus.

Good luck..and follow DBs advice, always.

Dream Maker

When I think about it ... having that unwavering committment to a stretch goal has allowed me to do #4) very well in the past.  I have not had that since 2012 and what do you know - I have been on a down ward spiral since 2012.  Now I have committed to something big and bodacious.

I've been avoiding a big commitment scared how far down I've gone, but I did schedule half marathons for March, and for April.

After my last baby, I was able to be back to a marathon by 3 months, but I lost more this time... but maybe I should go ahead and at least PICK the first postpartum marathon even though it seems so far from where I'm at right now.

Dream Maker

I returned to running 10 years ago and it was a battle of will along with physical injuries along the way.

The good thing is you will see huge improvements right away.  You do not want to compare to when you were in high school YET or ever depending on your ultimate goal.  Try to do every run\walk by time and do not focus on any miles as of yet.  Changing speeds is a good thing and may keep you away from overuse injuries. Just banging away at same pace , even coming back, is not good and will be hard to get improvements.  try doing some brisk telephone pickup\sprints after your walks\runs (nothing that will pull a muscle).  Keep the walks in your runs for a month or so before going into steady runs.  those in-between walk breaks will ultimately help your running

Thanks.
                                Thankfully, comparing to high school wouldn't be so hard for me. lol My best running was in 2009.  I got my first running injury in mid 2012, and it was downhill from then even though the biggest loss was this pregnancy this last year.    I was hoping if I did exercises to keep me balanced while rebuilding maybe this was my chance to shake the one injury after another progression I was in for years... am actually completely injury free right now.  Silver lining. haha