Almost needed my pepper spray! (Read 823 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good thing I didn't, though, since I didn't bring it on today's run. No...not a dog or a human with less-than-honest intent. 2 large, gray geese. Someone dumped a loaf of sliced bread on the side of the road and two huge geese were snacking on it. As I got closer to them I figured they would get frightened and run off--no such luck. The hungry bastards held their ground and started hissing at me and coming towards me. They were big...I was a bit nervous, since I know geese can be very aggressive and dangerous when they believe they are threatened. So I ran wide and gave them plenty of room and they went back to eating their bread. Dummies. I don't even like white bread. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bas

There are dozens of geese on a small dike near where I live. I pass them sometimes during my runs. They can act menacing but when I keep going as if they are not there they waddle out of my way. Michigan geese may be much fiercer, of course Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

And come spring time when they start nesting they become very, very nervous and extremely aggressive. There is one park in the area I actually avoid in the spring. They attack form the ground and from the air so I figure for a few weeks each year they can keep the park to themselves. Ewa
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
        vicentefrijole

Ugh! I hate geese! They always flock on the running paths along Lake Mich (in Chicago) and, since they see people all the time, they are not the least bit afraid... if they've got their young nearby, stay clear... they get very nasty! Tongue
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Canada geese, right? We have a lot of them around here, but they mostly stay clear of the paths. Now they are pretty much gone for Winter, which is nice. I think the ones I encountered were some sort of farm geese...about the size of Canada geese, but mostly light gray. Weird thing was that I was nowhere near any farms.... k

~ Sarah Kay

And I thought Florida 'gators were scary.
                They never bother me but the crap they leave ALL over the bike path does!
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And I thought Florida 'gators were scary.
                  Ooh, would pepper spray even work on them? Yikes!!!

~ Sarah Kay

Ooh, would pepper spray even work on them? Yikes!!!
                    Probably not, they've got a brain about the size of a walnut. I've seen reports on the news where nuisance gators have been shot during capture and they pretty much shake it off. There was a runner down around Ft Lauderdale earlier this year that met a sad end at the business end of a 10 or 12 footer.
                    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                    http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that's so sad. At least I know our wildlife wouldn't cause any sort of fatal injuries. Up north there are some black bear, but they are pretty shy and benign. Getting sprayed by a skunk is probably the most dangerous situation I would likely encounter. k

~ Sarah Kay

derek

There was a runner down around Ft Lauderdale earlier this year that met a sad end at the business end of a 10 or 12 footer.
                        http://www.local6.com/news/9204051/detail.html

Derek