Mask for running in age of COVID-19 (Read 118 times)

Ghyndui

I am looking for looking for a brand or type of mask that I could wear while running in this age of COVID-19.

I am of a higher age demographic and probably slightly more for susceptible to the virus due to a lifetime of respiratory allergies.

I've seen pictures of elite runners wearing mask because of asthma, etc.  However, I have no idea what brand or type they're wearing.

Any recommendations?

I am looking for looking for a brand or type of mask that I could wear while running in this age of COVID-19.

I am of a higher age demographic and probably slightly more for susceptible to the virus due to a lifetime of respiratory allergies.

I've seen pictures of elite runners wearing mask because of asthma, etc.  However, I have no idea what brand or type they're wearing.

Any recommendations?

The consensus is that a mask doesn't help YOU much from contracting the virus, but it prevents others from spreading it a lot. It catches all those dirty bits before they get out into the air.

The best advice I would give is to run in places where there aren't any other people. I found a "secret" spot that's worked out great.

What in the world is Galen Rupp wearing? (photo, video) - oregonlive.com

But if you feel like you need to wear a mask because of your location and situation, the one Rupp wore for allergies is a reusable neoprene mask with replaceable filters. I have one like it I bought at Harbor Freight as a dust mask years ago, but they don't sell them anymore. There is a version on Amazon. Be aware that a mask is non-compliant for CV19 if it does not filter your exhalations. Any mask with one-way vents to let air out is non-compliant to wear in stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Anti-Pollution-Windproof-Breathing-Motorcycling/dp/B086QZ5LR8/ref=sr_1_34?dchild=1&keywords=Neoprene+Face+Mask&qid=1593400915&sr=8-34

Naroo mask makes them for sports:

https://naroomask.com/lineup/

55-59 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Ghyndui

Thanks for the info

Will you be running with a group of people in close quarters? If running solo your risk is "extremely" low. Much much much lower than walkiing in any store with a mask.

SMART Approach Training - Run Injury Free. www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ghyndui

Regretfully I run in town, sometimes in areas near a lot of people such as open air cafés.  As my city reopens this is becoming more common.  Unfortunately, most of the people in these areas are younger and not wearing masks.  As I'm an older person with occasional breathing problems from allergies, I worry every time I pass such an area or any group.

I'll keep looking.

It is nice to be cautious and it is difficult to have zero risk if running around a lot of people. Also realize that not only do you require exposure but also a large enough dose. Susceptibility would be greater standing around people or in a room with people who have it where you get repeated exposures. If running by someone, (assuming they have it), it would likely take a cough at you while you run by to get a significant exposure.

SMART Approach Training - Run Injury Free. www.smartapproachtraining.com