My Best Bet... (Read 720 times)

Well, I feel like a thread whore because I have started more threads in the past week that I think I have since CR changed and I became an RA'er. Anyways, found here: This is my recent thread where there was a consensus that I am capable of doing much better in a marathon by ramping up my miles. My spring marathon is the Country Music on April 25, giving me approximately 26 weeks from Saturday. Meaning, for a standard training program of 18 weeks, I have 8 weeks to base build to 50 mpw to make sure I hit out a good marathon program. So, my question: Is my best bet to up my mileage to 50 mpw in the next eight weeks, and then do an 18 week training program that runs 45+ mpw and peaks around 60 mpw? or... Is my best bet to up my mileage to 50 mpw in the next fourteen weeks, run 50-60 mpw consistently, occasionally doing some light speedwork at MP, and then hitting out a 12 week program after I have a guaranteed solid base in order to perform? My rookie running ability hinders me in the decision making scheme; thus, I find myself with RA'ers who are faster and smarter than I am.
      Whew! Somebody answer this quick! I'm in the same situation. But first a question: What is your current mileage base?
        Ive been sitting at 30 mpw w/out a long run each week.
          If you have the discipline to do an 18 week problem, then do an 18 week program. Most of the programs I've seen include a base building phase at the beginning anyway, so the difference is likely to be minimal. But if you do an 18 week program you'll have more opportunity to adjust it (or find an alternative) if you find it too easy or too hard.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I averaged 31.0 mpw prior to tapering for my Oct 11th marathon, so I'm at pretty much the same base. Ramp up to 50 in 8 weeks? Surprised ok
            mikeymike

It's basically 6 and one half dozen. But in general I'd vote for ramping to 50 mpw as quickly as you can without burnout or injury, that way having as many weeks at 50+ as possible before the marathon. I couldn't tell you when I officially began my marathon training "program" for last Sunday's marathon. Was it in May? Or was it in August? September 1st? Whenever it was, it wasn't all that different from what I'd been doing already--and that's the key.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

I'm kind of with mikey in that when my training program "started" is a bit nebulous. I called my start date for portland June 16th only because I had a goal HM that weekend so that seemed like a good time to refocus. I like to ramp early and hold it for a longer time. Or ramp very slowly over a very long time. Ramp up comfortably fast, pay attention to your body as you do so, curtail speedwork if need be, do what you need to do to get to ~ 50 injury free. Then adjust your marathon training program accordingly. I dont usually drop my mileage back down at the beginning of an official training period just because some program starts lower than where I have been. I'll just merge in to the program. I might drop my mileage 10% or so if I am incorporating more pace specific work .

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It's basically 6 and one half dozen. But in general I'd vote for ramping to 50 mpw as quickly as you can without burnout or injury, that way having as many weeks at 50+ as possible before the marathon. I couldn't tell you when I officially began my marathon training "program" for last Sunday's marathon. Was it in May? Or was it in August? September 1st? Whenever it was, it wasn't all that different from what I'd been doing already--and that's the key.
                  Did you follow any specific program or did you just keep the miles 50+ for 18 weeks and fit plenty of MP runs during long runs...etc?
                  mikeymike

Did you follow any specific program or did you just keep the miles 50+ for 18 weeks and fit plenty of MP runs during long runs...etc?
                    I didn't follow a specific program per se but I don't think it's a bad idea if you're new to the marathon game to read Pfitzinger or Daniels etc and get an idea how they structure a plan. In my case I've done it enough times that I understand the basic concepts and also my own strengths and weaknesses, how I respond to training, what my non-running life looks like etc and so I'm always able to plan out a rough outline of the next several months. A lot of my weeks look very similar. I ran Boston in April, then after taking May to recover and get my mileage back up to 70, I focussed on shorter stuff, a lot of 300s and 1000s early in the summer, culminating in a pretty good 4-mile race on July 4th. Then I started to do more longer stuff and add some longer long runs as the summer went along. In August and September I added a few long MP runs and a couple of tune up races at Half Marathon and 30K. The differences were not that major. My highest mileage week during my marathon buildup was 81 and I had been running 70's since the 2nd week of May so it didn't really feel that different.

Runners run

Dave

I know the question is for Mikey but I'll add a few words from a mere mortal. Wink I tried the 18 week plan thing and wasn't able to stick too closely to it. Too much intensity caused me to end up with too many nagging injuries. Too many middle fast miles left me unable to either run the easy stuff easy or the hard stuff hard. I can't imagine how much faster I would be right now if I had 18x50 mile weeks under my belt. If you can pull that off, I'm not sure why you'd want to do anything else.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

another mere mortal here. I'm with dgb2n on this one..If your mileage is around 30 now and this will be your first time with an extended stretch of 50 mile weeks, use caution with the speedwork load of a canned program. While some people can ramp mileage and add speedwork at the same time, many of us find ourselves benched. Do the mileage and look at the different programs for speedwork ideas, but if the mileage is taxing, cut back the targeted work. I think in order of importance I would say (?) 1) miles 2) race pace work 3) hills (depending on your race this could be #2 - and maybe it should be #2 anyway) 4) long tempos 5) long intervals/fartleks or other speedwork

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Looks like next week we make the jump from 30 mpw to 38 or so, just by adding a long run and a sixth day. Will obviously slow down my runs to a good, easy, pace. Will also listen to my body. Of course, I don't anticipate 38 being too much of a jump, because I've hit 34 miles recently one week, and again, that's lacking a good long run and did speed work. Jumping to 50 mpw will be good for me. I did start Pfitz's program this summer, but I figured out quickly I wasn't cut out for the work load that was demanded of it by mixing in tempos, strides, and long running on fewer days on the base that I have. Have eight weeks to make my jump and looking forward to it. Thanks guys.
                            Looks like next week we make the jump from 30 mpw to 38 or so, just by adding a long run and a sixth day. Will obviously slow down my runs to a good, easy, pace. Will also listen to my body. Of course, I don't anticipate 38 being too much of a jump, because I've hit 34 miles recently one week, and again, that's lacking a good long run and did speed work.
                            You have alot of time, don't try to jump to fast. I'm sure you can handle 38 miles next week but then you have to keep repeating that 38 mile week. It's the cumulative thing that could bite you 8, 10 16 weeks down the road. how many weeks until the Maratrhon? Sort of like a marathon sure you can run an 8 min mile but can you string 26 together? Same thing with weekly mileage increase slowly.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I am stuck on my idea of how to ramp up my mileage as how to increase safely, but not overdoing it. I like the idea of going five days a week, but that's kind of demanding, so I thought maybe going six days would be good, and throwing in a shorter run (3-5 miles) each Wednesday in order to still have my mileage up, but also as a way to keep my legs moving and getting used to running more possible. Plus, if I were to spread it out, I feel it wouldn't be as stressful on my body. So, with all of that said, with my first couple of weeks I look like this: 27-Oct - 5 miles 28-Oct - 7 miles 29-Oct - 3 miles 30-Oct - 8 miles 31-Oct - 5 miles 1-Nov - 10 miles Total of 38 miles 2-Nov - Rest 3-Nov - 6 miles 4-Nov - 7 miles 5-Nov - 4 miles 6-Nov - 8 miles 7-Nov - 6 miles 8-Nov - 11 miles Total of 42 miles 9-Nov Rest If this looks acceptable and a good way to increase my mileage, then great. if not, what would be better?
                                So, put it into a spreadsheet, my projected "ramping up" of the miles. Would greatly appreciate some feedback so I don't look dumb or hurt myself. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p1CsMqVRpvevhUREFn3EISA