Zero Runner (Read 220 times)

runmichigan

It's that part we have a problem with. No studies show anything about differences between treadmill running and road running that are due to the fact that the belt is "moving" rather than the runner. That's all. Of course the fact that the surface is different, that there is no wind, and that the runner perceives himself as stationary may well change things. Nobody disputes that. Your wording suggests that you think the fundamental physics of running is different in a moving reference frame, and spaniel and I called you out on that. That's it. If we misunderstood your implication, then apologies. But please be more careful!

Go back and read my post.  The second study did show what you are saying no scientific study has shown.

bhearn

This one?

Two years later a similar study by Wank, Frick, and Schmidtbleicher in Germany extended their research by using electromyography equipment, sensors that can identify when your body activates your leg muscles and how strongly. Like Nigg, De Boer, and Fischer, this study found flatter foot placement at footstrike. But, perhaps explaining the cause, they also found that runners have a more pronounced forward body lean, shorter stride length, and a higher stride frequency. They also spent less time on the ground.

Please show me where they attribute these differences to the fact that the belt is moving rather than the runner. Any successful such attribution would be worthy of a Nobel prize, as it would refute accepted fundamental physics.

Again -- nobody is saying there aren't differences running on a treadmill. Just, please stop saying it's because the runner is "not moving". You lose all credibility for anything else you say once you say that.

Apologies to the rest of the thread participants for this train wreck. Really, I am somewhat curious about the ZeroRunner.

Feeling the growl again

I did not include your entire original post in my response, so I do not have proof as to whether you had it there originally or not.  I do not recall seeing it there.  I do know that people will sometimes add the word respectfully when they mean the exact opposite.  I have also seen people go back and alter their posts to put themselves in a more favorable light with others.

As bhearn pointed out, this site records if and when a post was modified, so with a modicum of effort you could tell whether or not it was there (and clearly it was).  I was being very careful to call out your factual error without attacking the person.

Based on your behavior since, it appears I was too kind. 

So I'm out, back to your regularly scheduled miracles of physics.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

John Weigel

For what it's worth, the following video sold me for those interested.  It shows a runner on a zero runner split screened with the same runner on a traditional elliptical machine.  It then shows the same runner (on the ZR) split screened with the same runner running on a treadmill. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGL5TIJ7Ac

I recognize and I'm sure the folks at Octane recognize that running on a Zero Runner is not the same thing as running.  I think that is actually how they are marketing it (Zero Impact Running).  I know that I am not going to reap the same benefits using it as I can pounding out the miles on the road or treadmill.  Being as my former competitive/faster days are way behind me....I'm personally ok with that.  I used to be in this sport for the sole purpose of covering ground faster than I did before.  I'm in it more now because I just want to be healthy and fit and continue running as long as I can.  It suits my needs but it probably is not for everyone.

I guess I could see a few different types of people that this type of machine is suited for:

1)  The aging runner or just injury prone runner who still wants to put in a larger workload than he/she can actually running.  In other words it could be a good supplement in addition to running miles.  (assuming you are ok with cross training)

2)  The runner who is not as concerned about how much faster he/she is getting but enjoys feeling like they are running without the impact running demands.

My opinion and I'm sure it has been said many times before by people around here....If you want to be a better runner.....run as much as you can whether it be outside or on a treadmill.  If you are doing as much of that as you can, but want to do more.....pool running is probably  the next best thing.  The ZR seems to be the best option I have seen after that.  I guess I'm my own scientific experiment on this one......so we will see.

Hip Redux

Note the clear use of the word respectfully in my post.  If you intend to insult someone, do you go to the trouble of inserting said word?   My guess is not.

Well, bless your heart is frequently followed up by something snarky, so.... lol

I don't own the zero runner but I do own the ElliptiGo.  I love it, lots of fun to ride and it kicks my ass on hills.   And hey, maybe it'll make me as fast as Meb.

Feeling the growl again

Well, bless your heart is frequently followed up by something snarky, so.... lol

Well, I think I've made my intent quite clear.  If you still feel the need to make such a comment, given the totality of the context, I can lump you into a certain bucket of folks.

lol, 'cause apparently that makes it okay.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hip Redux

Well, I think I've made my intent quite clear.  If you still feel the need to make such a comment, given the totality of the context, I can lump you into a certain bucket of folks.

lol, 'cause apparently that makes it okay.

Yikes.  Chill, I was just making a joke.

Cryptic

Keep it light people. This is a place of learning, camaraderie and ....

Back off

humor Smile