Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

LOL Jmac’s jabs on the Kiwis have been excellent!!

Mark - awesome job in the 3k and right around the predicted time.

How did it feel? I personally love the 3ks, maybe my 2nd favorite distance after the 1500.

They’re excellent for aerobic fitness measurement as well, like you said.

Watson - here’s to a quick recovery and no longer term effects.

Steve - your training is looking good lately!

me - some niggles on the left calf. I'm trying to roll them out! Overall a good week, not too straining, allowing for some overall recovery.

Weekly for period: From: 09/11/2020 To 15/11/2020

Date Name Distance
    in km
    Duration Avg Pace
    per km
    Elevation Gain
    in m
    09/11/2020 Morning Run 7.73 00:40:00 05:10 42
    10/11/2020 12x (1'30I + 2'E) avg pace 3:34/km 13.90 01:07:03 04:49 38
    12/11/2020 12' T 10.40 00:50:00 04:48 66
    13/11/2020 Morning Run 7.99 00:40:00 05:00 50
    14/11/2020 Morning Run 7.92 00:40:00 05:03 47
    15/11/2020 Morning Run 12.08 01:00:04 04:58 34

Total distance: 60.01km

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Good work Flavio. Whats your next goal ?

Mark im not putting much importance on the 10k either. Its likely to be hot so fast times will be tough.

You should be near the front depending on who shows up. You have a good shot of winning it too.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - really depends who shows up.  I'm pretty undertrained at the moment, and given it'll probably be hot I think probably something around the 1:18 mark would be OK.  I'm just going to go out and have fun, it will really be a good chance see where things are at before working towards Southern Lakes Half Marathon next year.  Will be nice to get some runs in a different area too.

Flavio - the first 5 laps were OK.  The 6th started to hurt.  The 7th sucked big time.  I could see the two guys in front of me really kick on the last lap, that distance would definitely be a lot of fun with a bit more training and practice at that distance.  Also I like how you had a number of runs this week that were EXACTLY 40 or 50 minutes.

Steve - IT'S RACE WEEK!!!! Yussss!!!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Hi all, I am really sorry i haven't been around and I didn't even say anything. I'm busy at the moment I'm struggling with training properly and have very little time outside work and house.

I'll aim to be back at the beginning of next year posting regularly. First now I'll read the forum and try not to disappear from strava etc

All the best

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi all, I am really sorry i haven't been around and I didn't even say anything. I'm busy at the moment I'm struggling with training properly and have very little time outside work and house.

I'll aim to be back at the beginning of next year posting regularly. First now I'll read the forum and try not to disappear from strava etc

All the best

Marco

Good to hear from you!

Marky_Mark - your references to laps reminds me of why I so despise track races.

James - your experience with HR in swimming v. pool-running is similar to mine.  Pool-running will always have a lower HR than running outside because of the cooling and the compression of the water.  Swimming partially overcomes that because you use arms as well as legs.

45 miles and 2:30 hours of pool-running
            M: 9 miles (8:55) plus an easy mile on the track to calibrate foodpod, followed by upper body weights/core.
            T: 12 miles easy (8:53), including a track workout of 2x800, 1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:07, 3:08, 6:23, 3:05, 3:02, 43, and 42. ~2:30 recoveries after the 800s, 4:50 recovery after the 1600, full recovery for the 200s. Followed with leg strengthwork and yoga. PRP injections in afternoon.
            W: Off
            Th: Off
            F: 45 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
            Sa: 9 miles easy (8:54), drills and two strides, yoga, and 50 minutes of pool-running.
            Su: 14 miles, with the first 12 easy to moderate (progressing from 9:52 down to 7:12), followed by 2 miles cooldown (stopped my watch at 13.12 and reset it so that I had an official "half-marathon" time). Followed with streaming yoga and 55 minutes of pool-running.

I did my second round of PRP injections in my right ankle on Tuesday, so that meant two days on the couch and then easing back into things. The ankle feels fine. However, I belatedly realized that...when you do PRP, they take a lot of blood. (they pulled about 180 ml - 20 vials of blood; 450-500ml is standard for a blood donation). No surprise that I've felt tired with a slightly elevated heart rate when running for several days after each PRP session. With that knowledge, I decided to keep Sunday's run easy to moderate.

As an aside, I ended up unintentionally registered for two virtual half-marathons (Mankato and New Jersey). I totally forgot about them until medals and other schwag showed up in the mail. Since I was pulling back on stuff this weekend anyway, I decided just to pause my watch at 13.12 miles today and submit that as my "race" to each, so that I could keep the medals.

(I'm normally NOT a medal person. Promise.)

Footpod is now correctly calibrated again (according to the track) so I'll stop my whining about that for a while.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - IT'S RACE WEEK!!!! Yussss!!!!

I'm feeling quite excited and not overly anxious (yet).  I'm really looking forward to a "proper" race with lots of people, and no laps!

Weather forecast is consistent with rain and light wind, high of 19, low of 9.  It is what it is and rain is better than heat.

Anyone wanting some real time tracking can download the Runaway app and go to Athletes and follow my progress there.  You just need to know my full name which I think everyone probably does, or use my race number which is 3300.  I think it only gives splits at 11km, 16km and the finish though.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

zebano

I started the week feeling sick, got better, ran hard, got sore and just did some recovery running. I gotta get a long run in next week.

Mon 50 min Tried to run steady and progress toward tempo but the HR started high and I didn't progress, just held on.

Tue 40 min ez, 25 min spin, 10 min swimming, getting my form videotaped, 25 min strength

Wed 30 min ez, 6 strides

Thur 20 min strength, 20 min spin, 11.5 mi w/ 3x ~1400m uphill @ threshold effort, float down - felt  much better than Monday.

Fri   45 min spin w/ 9 short surges + 20 min spin

Sat  40 min ez, 25 min spin

Sun  40 min ez.

6 hr running

1:40 cycling

45 min strength

10 min swim

Really happy with how Thursaday went, hopefully I can build on this next week. I'm contemplating a time trial to see where I'm at.

James - that's a tough situation. At least you're not missing any races right now.

Mark - Stellar race, especially with no speed work.

Steve - Good luck. and best weather to you

DarkWave - ohh blood loss is hard to deal with. I stopped donating while running because I feel so sluggish for about a week after.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Next goal would be a half marathon in the beginning of March. That's the plan anyway, we both know how plans go these days.

Mark - that sounds exactly as a 3000 is supposed to feel. You probably didn’t have a kick due to not having trained as much speed lately.

Now that you've warmed up for the 3000, I have faith you will try the 1500 some time 

Also, yeah, I’ve been training by time for a while now, it seems to suit me well.

Marco - hey, good to hear from you. Did your lungs eventually recover from that funk you were a couple of months ago?

Darkwave - LOL, now I understand why you were holding the 2 medals in Strava.

20 vials of blood, UGH, I’ve passed out in the past when drawing blood, so lately when I do my checkup I ask the doctor to prescribe the minimum amount of tests necessary so that 3 vials are enough. And I have to lay in a bed while she draws my blood, so that if I pass out I'm already down heh. It's an annoying condition to be honest.

Steve - Best of luck in your race, you know what to do!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Way to pip the Kiwis!

Zebano - I'm not ignoring that game, just have been busy and haven't been able to review it myself. Our current one seems like it's all over but the crying - I'll likely send you another challenge soon.

Piwi - Feeling better?

Mark - Nice week, and good race. Especially being "undertrained".

DWave - Recovered from the PRP and feeling well, yet?
                    I'm curious: do you get different distance/pace readings from Stryd if you switch make/models of shoes?

Decen-ish week from me, apart from the piddly weekend. I'm going to try fixing that this week, as well as still getting in a session or two of hill sprints.

I think I've formally decided to try for a big 5k and/or 10k PR coming up. There's one in Tulsa in two months (likely a rust buster if I do it, I doubt I could be in that shape by then), but then I should be able to find one another month or two later. Then I'm wanting to do the Okie Relays in early May solo (~42.2 miles, if they don't postpone/cancel it again next year).

Weekly for period: From: 11/09/2020 To 11/15/2020

Date Name Distance
                    in mi
                    Duration Avg Pace
                    per mi
                    Elevation Gain
                    in ft
                    11/09/2020 Working on the tall side of the PDC. 4x hill sprints 7.65 01:05:08 08:31 344
                    11/10/2020 4 deer (4 strides) & 3 hawks 7.25 01:02:42 08:39 371
                    11/11/2020 A few dozen ducks, 5 owls, & 3 hawks 7.25 01:01:51 08:32 374
                    11/12/2020 5 hill sprints (5 deer) 9.05 01:17:09 08:31 495
                    11/13/2020 13 ducks, 5 deer (5 strides), 3 hawks, & 1 owl 7.25 01:04:16 08:52 384
                    11/14/2020 1 deer slipping on the road (1 stride) 4.50 00:37:49 08:24 177
                    11/15/2020 3 hawks 4.75 00:39:50 08:23 144

Total distance: 47.72mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - Recovered from the PRP and feeling well, yet?
                      I'm curious: do you get different distance/pace readings from Stryd if you switch make/models of shoes?

Ankle feels fine in terms of no pain - I think it will be another week before I start seeing another improvement in balance.

Re: Stryd and shoes - I normally rotate between three types of shoes - the Adidas Adios Boost 2; the Adidas Adios Boost 4, and the Nike Streak 6.  All of which are quite similar.  I haven't noted any difference in Stryd readings between them, but again, they are all pretty similar.  I guess I should pull out the Endorphins or the Nexts at some point and see if there's a difference.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

How steady is your pacing on your longer efforts? I personally manually lap my watch every 5 minutes just to get feedback on that however, I also check my watch roughly every 100 breaths (roughly 2:15-2:20 at tempo effort). My 20 minute tempo WO went like this

100 breath pace = 6:50 (I feel that's a touch too hot)

5 min lap pace = 6:59 (i.e. 2nd half of the lap was at ~7:10)

100 breath pace = 7:10 (mentally refocus on finding the right pace)

5 min pace = 6:56

100 breath pace = 7:10 (refocus)

5 min pace = 6:59

100 breath pace = 7:15 (refocus, but caveat I had small rolling hills here, the rest was almost flat)

5 min pace = 6:58

In short I seem to be running 2.5 minute "switchblade" workouts alternating between 6:50ish and 7:10 instead of just holding 7 flat. Should I obsessively check the watch more often? Maybe autolap every minute? Is running similar to horseshoes and hand grenades?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

CK - Nice week. Interesting that when you're in a slight down time you still match my mileage.

dw - Good to see some progress and nice work on the 2 medals.

zebano - That's interesting.  Are you trying to hold steady?  I definitely look at my watch too often.

me - 3 days to go.  The weather forecast has changed to:

Early rain, clearing. A possible late shower as northerlies change southerly.

So possible rain during race and possible moderate winds although the northerly would mean at worst 4-5km of headwind with the rest cross wind and tailwind.  I'm feeling reasonably positive with fresh legs.  There will be nerves but hopefully not enough to send my heartrate through the roof early on.

2024 Races:

Keen good to see nearly 50 miles from you. Let's hope next year gets back to normal. I have a feeling it could be one more year before vaccines help out etc and there's still so many who haven't caught covid yet.

Darkwave you have quite the shoe collection. I love Streak 6 and Adios. I haven't quite been able to bring myself to buy next % etc. Mostly due to cost.

Steve excited for you. Just enjoy it and see what happens.

Zebano I don't understand much of your post 

Counting your breaths etc seems like a chore.

What is the reason behind it ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

Zebano I don't understand much of your post 

Counting your breaths etc seems like a chore.

What is the reason behind it ?

umm yeah no idea why I started doing that but it probably has to do with my obsessive personality.  I quickly found out that 3 steps in - 3 steps out is a nice comfortable run, 2-2 is a good pace, 2-1 is really hard work, and 1-1 is reserved for finishing kicks. Furthermore counting when running hard is a good way to distract myseflf from the legs feeling heavy/hurting or anything like that.

At some point in my running career I was watching my watch more than I was looking around when running so I told myself not to do that and my compromise is that I have to count to 100 before I can "peek". Regardless the gist of my post was that instead of running 7 min/mile for 20 minutes I ran 6:50/mi for 2.5 minutes then 7:10/mi for 2 minutes and repeated that 3 times to get to 20 minutes so I'm second guessing my decision to not look at the watch all the time.

Steve - how the temps to go along with those winds? Rain really doesn't bother me unless it's rather cold and I often find it pleasant.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - how the temps to go along with those winds? Rain really doesn't bother me unless it's rather cold and I often find it pleasant.

Woops, I didn't mention the most important thing...the range for the day is 6-20C (43-68F) so with the 8am start the temperature should be in my happy zone.  It's been pretty warm in Christchurch lately so hopefully the cooler weather down in Queenstown will give me a boost.  This is the first time I will get on a plane since January 3 in this strange year.

2024 Races: