GA cop murders jogger (Read 302 times)

onemile

former police officer

zebano

My understanding is this is an ex-cop, not that it makes any difference.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

another bad cop people story...

fyp. Horrible story.

Dave

It was a horrendous act committed by a couple jackasses.

That said, the entire story seems to be getting spun as "Cops drove around looking for Black man to kill" when that isn't what happened. There had been burglaries in the neighborhood, and these jackasses saw a Black man jogging and chased after him with guns and accosted him, then shot him when he was defending himself.

By the looks of these bloated "sportsmen" I have to assume they don't know it's normal for people to go running for exercise. In their mind, you only run if you're fleeing or chasing.

And I repeat, what they did was WRONG on MANY levels and I hope they get locked up for a very long time. There's even video to show that they instigated the entire thing.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Julia1971

fyp. Horrible story.

I don't know.  I'm not picking on you but in this case, I think the fact that a former police officer was involved is relevant.  If anyone should know that citizens should play judge, jury, and executioner if they suspect someone of theft, it's a police officer.  I think it's also relevant because black people are repeatedly told variations of "it's not all cops", "they should have just complied", and other ways of making us feel like we're making this up. Not to mention the entire slew of #whileblack hashtags confirming that doing ordinary behaviors while black increases the chance that you'll have an encounter with authorities.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Although only tangentially related to this story as the "reason" they went after the guy, how is a citizen's arrest still a thing?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

marisascott

From what I've read... today would have been his 26th birthday. Join me in run/walk/job/stumbling 2.23 miles for him. #irunwithmaud

From what I've read... today would have been his 26th birthday. Join me in run/walk/job/stumbling 2.23 miles for him. #irunwithmaud

I did.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

mikeymike

Although only tangentially related to this story as the "reason" they went after the guy, how is a citizen's arrest still a thing?

These two white supremacists felt so confident the law wouldn't apply to them because they were white and the victim was black that they didn't even bother to concoct a defense that made any sense.

Runners run

MoBramExam

Or they were just two dumbasses being vigilante dumbasses and skated for a couple of months from a couple of small town crony DAs. As if they would not have done the same thing to some poor white or brown kid under the exact same set of circumstances?

Now we get to endure a majority of the national press neglecting the part of the story which takes some of the randomness out of the chain of events that led up to what is on the video. Hey, why not inflame racial tensions on top of the power keg we’re already sitting on for some ratings and a couple of clicks??

Tragic and disgusting this kid had to die this way. Tragic the charges only warrant life instead of the possibility of the death penalty (if the people of GA feel that is not cruel and unusual.)  Tragic opportunist have another event to use to drive a wider wedge between people with otherwise common interests.

These two white supremacists felt so confident the law wouldn't apply to them because they were white and the victim was black that they didn't even bother to concoct a defense that made any sense.

undue monkey

Local PD shared that there had not been a string of burglaries in that area. In fact there hasn’t been any. In fairness, the police don’t track vigilante fever dreams though.

There had been burglaries in the neighborhood

mikeymike

Or they were just two dumbasses being vigilante dumbasses and skated for a couple of months from a couple of small town crony DAs. As if they would not have done the same thing to some poor white or brown kid under the exact same set of circumstances?

Now we get to endure a majority of the national press neglecting the part of the story which takes some of the randomness out of the chain of events that led up to what is on the video. Hey, why not inflame racial tensions on top of the power keg we’re already sitting on for some ratings and a couple of clicks??

Tragic and disgusting this kid had to die this way. Tragic the charges only warrant life instead of the possibility of the death penalty (if the people of GA feel that is not cruel and unusual.)  Tragic opportunist have another event to use to drive a wider wedge between people with otherwise common interests.

Bad take. Many white people will bend themselves into pretzels to avoid acknowledging the prominent role that racism plays in almost all aspects of American life. Making white people uncomfortable by calling racism racism isn't driving a wedge--the wedge (racism) is there whether we acknowledge it or not.

Runners run

As if they would not have done the same thing to some poor white kid under the exact same set of circumstances?

I am very doubtful.

Dave