SI joint: Let's discuss (Read 906 times)

finney

Resident pinniped

In my experience, the tightness can cause the problem, and/or the problem can cause the tightness. That's why it's so hard to get ahead of and treat. Avoiding tightness is the main reason you want to stay moving, even just walking or swimming if it hurts too much to run. I also believe that's why mine flares up again if I don't exercise...the muscles get tight again and pull the whole thing out of alignment.
    Tyler S

Since this has just recently happened to me, I would like someone to clarify that this does go away within about a week. It has been exactly a week since the injury occurred and I want to run tomorrow. Yet I still feel a slight sensation. After going to an orthopedist and chiropractor I'm sure it is an SI join injury. I believe the injury came from a soccer game from last Sunday. Anyway if anyone could help me out, that would be great. I just want get back to track practice -_-
      finney

Resident pinniped

It's different for everyone. I fought mine for over two years. Since yours was treated early it should clear up pretty fast, where I have permanent scarring in the muscles and connective tissues from mine. Your best bet would be to check with your doctor and see what he/she says it's OK for you to do.

Member Since 2008

I have battled this problem since the first of January. My pain was deep in the butt, as you described, and into the lower back. I went to a Chiropractor and spent 800.00 with minimal relief. What helped me the most was Yoga stretches for the hip, (go to youtube and search for sciatic nerve relief). I am almost back to where I was before the pain but I can still tell things aren't quite right.
            i have a new injury like this as well - started almost 2 weeks ago when i was out for a run - just out of the blue i had this sharp digging pain in the middle of my left butt -- felt like sciatic nerve pain but different --- i've been going to the chiropractor who thinks it's SI joint inflammation, have had several adjustments and have had 2 sports focused massages - still lot of pain - tomorrow going to my primary care MD and hoping to push for an MRI - i work nights as a labor and delivery nurse and just working has been painful - haven't even tried to run since it happened - it hurts just to walk........i really hope this is treatable and not going to be something chronic - i can't imagine not running and am so frustrated after being so good all winter keeping up my mileage and running in the freezing cold weather now that it's finally nice outside i can't run!! Cry

denise

In my experience, the tightness can cause the problem, and/or the problem can cause the tightness. That's why it's so hard to get ahead of and treat. Avoiding tightness is the main reason you want to stay moving, even just walking or swimming if it hurts too much to run. I also believe that's why mine flares up again if I don't exercise...the muscles get tight again and pull the whole thing out of alignment.
              Agreed. It's also worth asking your physician about a leg-length discrepancy. This can be actual (one leg is actually shorter than the other) or functional (due to muscle tightness and other factors). SI dysfunction can easily be one of those issues that leads to others--for example, when it's tight it can dramatically affect stride length, which leads to a funky running gait, which can make it more sore, which can make it tighter... It's a "chicken and egg" kind of situation that can be cyclical...and frustrating. Undecided