2021 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 267 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ha! So, potentially they might cancel this Boston too (yeah, I know, I know - it's always a possibility but I was looking at the data, at the fact that very high percentage of people will be vaccinated by October - pretty sure it will be more than half, so I thought the race is a very strong 'yes'), looks like - darn - I hope not. I forgot - did they have refunds for 2020 race? Or did they just converted it automatically to Virtual Run? I don't want any virtual runs.

They refunded last year.  I remember because it was a windfall for me - I had already entered and then decided not to do it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Interesting... It has been a week since the registration closed and still no notifications or any update. I wonder why it takes so long - they have all the data, I would guess 7 days is more than enough to filter those 20,000 runners out. As I said - interesting...

In 2019, it was 10 days from my application to acceptance.

(MTA: in 2018, for the 2019 race.)

Dave

CalBears

In 2019, it was 10 days from my application to acceptance.

(MTA: in 2018, for the 2019 race.)

Right... But back then they were accepting applications in waves, so, it was definitely taking more days. This year they've got all the applications in 3 days - so, they had all the data after 3 days, not after weeks as in previous years...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Right... But back then they were accepting applications in waves, so, it was definitely taking more days. This year they've got all the applications in 3 days - so, they had all the data after 3 days, not after weeks as in previous years...

My guess is that it gets announced on Monday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

True but I was in the 5-10 min category, so later on in the process. Anyway 7-10 days does not seem like a long time to me (although of course it FELT interminable). I assume they still need to go through the race verification process for all of them.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had this crazy idea that maybe the 2018 times would have to meet their race age for the 2020 marathon so they could Reid e the number of ‘BQ-20+ minutes because I got older and you’re letting me use a three year old race’ times.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

FSBD

Looks like I have to start running again.

WooWhoo!!!

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Julia1971

Confirmations have started rolling out.  It will be interesting to see what the cut-off was...

onemile

Confirmations have started rolling out.  It will be interesting to see what the cut-off was...

7 minutes, 47 seconds

Anonymous Guest

I guess I'm in then. (8:28). We just sold our house and the new one won't be done until Sept/Oct, so not sure where I'll be living in October - this is going to make plane reservations hard.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

delicate flower

9,215 qualifiers missed the cutoff, with me among that group.  Yowsers!  They could run another entire race with that group! 

I've now qualified for four (five counting 2022) Boston Marathons and have gotten to run one.  Missed two cutoffs and the Covid one.  I'm like the 1990's Atlanta Braves.

<3

9,215 qualifiers missed the cutoff, with me among that group.  Yowsers!  They could run another entire race with that group! 

I've now qualified for four (five counting 2022) Boston Marathons and have gotten to run one.  Missed two cutoffs and the Covid one.  I'm like the 1990's Atlanta Braves.

Well at least you got one—better than being the 1990s Buffalo Bills! Plus, you’ve got two jackets, that’s the main thing. 

I did not plan to run it, but feels good to know I could have. BQ-12:44. The glories of getting old.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So you have the qualifying times on the website....then you run a BQ time...but, for some folk it isn’t actually good enough to be allowed to run the race?  A totally bizarre set up.    Make it harder to BQ and guaranteed entry.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So you have the qualifying times on the website....then you run a BQ time...but, for some folk it isn’t actually good enough to be allowed to run the race?  A totally bizarre set up.    Make it harder to BQ and guaranteed entry.

They tried that back in the '70s and '80s.  The result was even more qualifiers each year even when it took 2:50 to BQ.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.