Sub 1:30 half marathon in 2017 (Read 323 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Blair - yeah, gotta ask Brent directly or maybe Kram. Brent lives in Minnesota, as you can understand they never see the sunlight, or at least that’s what I learned from Fargo.

Mark - this late in the training cycle the best thing you can do is to have extra rest.

Arvind - awesome week! Kindly share which is your next HM and I’ll put it up on the board.

James - Next time just drink water LOL just kidding.

As for tired heart/lungs that sounds a lot like DOMS, so take it easy for a week or two, no fast running, just nice and easy.

Brosen - Garmins are ridiculously cheap in Germany, if I were you I’d pick up the garmin 235. 100 euros more expensive and 10x better.

me - talking about Garmins, the mail was on strike so my new strapbands were delayed, and as such I'm carrying my watch in hand for the last few days. I thought about upgrading, but Mark unintentionally reminded me of how much we're gouged, so I'll wait until my next vacation abroad.

In Brazil there are 3 main things that cause imported good to be crazy expensive:

- 100% import tariff if coming from the mail, 60% import tariff if bringing with you on a flight from abroad.

- Not many people can afford these products, the volume of sales is very low and as such mark up is a lot higher.

- A lot of cargo robbery which makes insurance prices go up exponentially. If you will remember Rio, the seat of the last olympics, well, quite a few nation wide retailers refuse to open shop in that state due to this very problem.

For instance, if I sell my computer and wanna ship it to my cousin in another state, I'll pay shipping, and then about 5 to 12% of the computer price in insurance.

That said, it's certainly not specific to Brazil, our hermanos in Argentina are gouged just the same, as is most of latin America.

In lighter news, I did an evaluation at a functional gym today. The guy asked me to cover one eye and follow a pen. Apparently my reflexes suck which explains why I still hit my shin against the corner of the bed LOL.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Blair - you're next up on the Legs for Literacy Half-Marathon. Go Blair!

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Arvind Balaraman

I have signed up for Bull city Race Fest Nov 22. This will not be a goal race. Will use it as my tempo run

Blair - yeah, gotta ask Brent directly or maybe Kram. Brent lives in Minnesota, as you can understand they never see the sunlight, or at least that’s what I learned from Fargo.

Mark - this late in the training cycle the best thing you can do is to have extra rest.

Arvind - awesome week! Kindly share which is your next HM and I’ll put it up on the board.

As for tired heart/lungs that sounds a lot like DOMS, so take it easy for a week or two, no fast running, just nice and easy.

Brosen - Garmins are ridiculously cheap in Germany, if I were you I’d pick up the garmin 235. 100 euros more expensive and 10x better.

me - talking about Garmins, the mail was on strike so my new strapbands were delayed, and as such I'm carrying my watch in hand for the last few days. I thought about upgrading, but Mark unintentionally reminded me of how much we're gouged, so I'll wait until my next vacation abroad.

In Brazil there are 3 main things that cause imported good to be crazy expensive:

- 100% import tariff if coming from the mail, 60% import tariff if bringing with you on a flight from abroad.

- Not many people can afford these products, the volume of sales is very low and as such mark up is a lot higher.

- A lot of cargo robbery which makes insurance prices go up exponentially. If you will remember Rio, the seat of the last olympics, well, quite a few nation wide retailers refuse to open shop in that state due to this very problem.

For instance, if I sell my computer and wanna ship it to my cousin in another state, I'll pay shipping, and then about 5 to 12% of the computer price in insurance.

That said, it's certainly not specific to Brazil, our hermanos in Argentina are gouged just the same, as is most of latin America.

In lighter news, I did an evaluation at a functional gym today. The guy asked me to cover one eye and follow a pen. Apparently my reflexes suck which explains why I still hit my shin against the corner of the bed LOL.

watsonc123

James - good race.

JMac - nice half.

Re half week taper. I like:

Mon 8km easy

Tue 16km with kms 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 circa HMP

Wed 0

Thu 11-12km with 3 * 800m at 10k-HMP and 3 * 500m at 5-10k

Fri 6.4km easy

Sat 4.8km easy with 3-4 striders

Sun Race

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Arvind - your race is on the board.

Watson - how's recovery going?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I totally second Flavio's position on Garmins: pay the extra $100, it's totally worth it. I have the 230 and I love it. Some of the other high end stuff has a lot of fancy nonsense imo, but the 230 for me is perfect. 235 is good too if you use heart rate data.

Flavio - Really interesting on the tariffs, that's crazy! Maybe you need some of us to ship you Garmin materials undercover :-)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I forgot to tell you something. During my race on Saturday, it was pretty warm so my shorts were soaked by mile 6. It caused them to ride up my leg, and I swear to you, I checked myself like every half mile based on that video you sent out!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

do you mean that one where the bird was out of the cage?

I wear underwear and my shorts have a sort of second underwear, so never run that risk LOL

watsonc123

Flavio - I am good. I was not that sore from the race. I found have started running 2 days post the race. Although I am still recovering from the sore throat. I ran a hilly 5 miles yesterday (yet to upload).

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - yep, that one!

Watson - Wow, no soreness from a full? It sounds like the race may have been a mentally challenging one instead because of the lack of competitors, which certainly can be just as hard or harder than a physically challenging one. If anything, that should make you confident that sub 3 is in the cards next year.

watsonc123

Flavio - typo. I COULD have started running two days later. But waited a week. I still have my knee issue, which I have had for a few months.

Piwi - I forgot to tell you something. During my race on Saturday, it was pretty warm so my shorts were soaked by mile 6. It caused them to ride up my leg, and I swear to you, I checked myself like every half mile based on that video you sent out!

If you are as well endowed as that guy then let it show haha. Mine gets shrinkage during running !

Flavio I dont have any races planned. Still enjoying training and keeping fit with the odd strava segment attack to satisfy my ego.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

Haha, running shrinkage and poop breaks. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one having those issues. I've had good and bad periods on the pb's, especially on afternoon runs. I usually plan to go before, and then after a mile or two, and on long runs it's always nice to have a route with plenty of options along the way. And for anything that brings me farther away from my house than a mile or a mile and a half, I always fold up a couple of pieces of paper towels and keep them in my back pocket just in case I need them . I've yet to have any issues during a race though.

Had a decent training week last week, with great intervals on Wednesday, a pretty good 7-mile tempo run on Saturday, and a tough but manageable long run on Sunday that I didn't expect much from just a day after the long tempo. Right after the tempo I wasn't sure my pace was quite where I wanted it to be (7:25/mile), but then I realized I was running in 75 (25C) degree weather. While it's not hot, it's certainly enough to affect your pace on a hard run.

On Sunday I started slow when I brought the dog for the first couple miles, then settled into an easy-ish pace, but after 3 miles at that pace I realized I was speeding up without thinking about it. So I decided to make it a progressive long run, and I ended up in the area of m-pace towards the end (7:40 pace). On the last little section up to our house on my cooldown I stumbled on a lip on the sidewalk and tumbled forward, hitting the sidewalk with my left shoulder first and rolling over. I first thought I would be in a world of hurt, but I came from it with barely a scrape on my shoulder, no injuries, and not even any soreness from the tumble . My legs were beat though with 11 miles on Saturday followed by 12.5 on Sunday, not man pf which were easy.

Ran a 12x400 interval session today and had a good feeling during the workout. I think it felt like one of those sessions Jack Daniels will describe where you revel in the fact that the workout is easier instead of increasing the pace to always make it as hard as it can be.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

So I'm in a bit of dilemma as to what to do about next week.  I have a race on my calendar that I haven't signed up for yet and I'm on the fence about doing it.   

Lately, my workouts have not gone the way I've wanted them to and I've had two consecutive races where my performances have been pretty disappointing.   I ran a bad 5K earlier this month at 19:11 and flopped a 5 mile, hilly dirt-road race with a pace of 6:40-ish.   The 5K was really tough to stomach as I thought I was in shape to at least run 18:40. 

This morning at 4:50AM I did a 4.7 mile tempo run with my training shoes (non race shoe)...averaging 6:36 pace.  I was aiming for 6:25's but couldn't pull it off.  The race I want to run is 5.7 mile race on an island...and I was hoping to run at least 6:20 pace for it...as it's essentially a 10K.   

Can anyone chime in on workout performance versus race performances?  I've done my tempo runs at comfortably hard efforts but today was a real struggle.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Bro - My general mantra is that one or two bad workouts do not signal I need to adjust my race pace. However, a few things I want to note based on what you said:

- There is a 0% chance I could run essentially race pace of a 5.7 mile race for 4.7 miles, which is what you attempted to do. The most I can do in training at any distance is about half the goal. So for a half marathon, the most I could run is about 6-7 miles at HMP.

- You've now failed a couple of races and workouts in a row, so you may be training at too hard of a pace. It's much better to train too slowly in your tempo and intervals than too quickly.

This all points to more of a problem in your training approach rather than necessarily your race ability. After two failed races, I would adjust my training. For you, that would mean your LT pace is exactly what you ran this morning: 6:36. However, I would run that at most for 3 miles.

If you want to run a good test for your 10K, I would attempt to do something like 3x2 at 6:36 with 2 minutes walking rest. If you can hit that, you're in perfect position to run your 10K at a 6:25 pace. 6:20 might be a hair aggressive, but certainly doable if you feel good in the second half.