2012 National Marathon/Half Marathon Thread (Read 952 times)

ymmv

I've dreamed of such a thing a few times while racing, but never thought a race would actually provide the service.  You know how it is, you don't want to disappoint your kids who are waiting near the finish line to see your triumphant arrival, but not sure you can make it another 6 miles.  What a perfect solution!

I love that course, but won't run it as a Rock and Roll event.  I was pretty sad when they took it over. 

What does the Starter's Medal look like this year?

I saw the previous link to see the medals, but was not curious enough to 'like' them on facebook.

MTA:

I'm just ragging on Rock and Roll as the new owners, not on the race itself. I hope everyone enjoys the race. I liked the course when I ran it. It was fun running under Dupont Circle and thru Howard University. There were several great views of the Capitol building from the course. The trip along the Anacostia River in the latter half was interesting. I see from their course map that the marathon runners do not go around the stadium and pass by the half marathon finish area (where the half marathon runners are eating all the food and drinking all the beer already) like they did in previous years. If you can stage from the armory at the start, that is a nice feature. Maybe RnR will do a good job with it. They seem to have a big turn-out this year. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Marine Corps Marathon is up . . . kinda

"The service is unavailable."

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

Marine Corps Marathon is up . . . kinda

"The service is unavailable."

I didn't get to register.  I may look into bib transfer.  Or running something else.

Julia1971

So here's something I've never seen before:

If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have a few options:

• Increase their pace to stay within the event minimum pace;
          • Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or . . .

What?  So if I get tired, you'll drive me forward 10 miles and I can jog it in like I earned it? 

Maybe they get a medal with a question mark as the distance indicator.  

"Sag wagon" sounds too much like "sad wagon".  Sad

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I didn't get to register.  I may look into bib transfer.  Or running something else.

2hrs and 41mins.  Holy smokes.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

$20 to pick up someone else's bib?  Because of traffic?   Why don't they just honestly say "$20 fee to pick up a friend's bib because we can get away with it, so bend over!"

I'm running this half because several members of my family wanted to do it, but I kind of regret running an RnR event.  On the other hand, it goes within a block of my house in Adam's Morgan, which is kind of cool, and I'm sure the race itself will be fun. 

Julia, what pace did you tell them when you registered?   From what I've seen from some of your posts, we might be in nearby corrals -- I told them 7:20.

Julia1971

$20 to pick up someone else's bib?  Because of traffic?   Why don't they just honestly say "$20 fee to pick up a friend's bib because we can get away with it, so bend over!"

I'm running this half because several members of my family wanted to do it, but I kind of regret running an RnR event.  On the other hand, it goes within a block of my house in Adam's Morgan, which is kind of cool, and I'm sure the race itself will be fun. 

Julia, what pace did you tell them when you registered?   From what I've seen from some of your posts, we might be in nearby corrals -- I told them 7:20.

My feeling is that we own this race.  RnR is just our current overlord.  Hopefully, they will become frustrated and move on like the others.  Eventually, someone will figure out how to do this race well.

I'm in Corral #2.  Are you in #1?  The website says I can ask to move up at the Expo but I don't think it says what the cutoff is for the corral. 

@Julia, I'm in 2 as well. I'll try to look out for you to say hi, but I assume the corrals are pretty big?

Feeling the growl again

Why don't they just honestly say "$20 fee to pick up a friend's bib because we can get away with it, so bend over!"

They can only get away with it if the sheep keep paying it.  I'm not a sheep.  Grrrrr.  I would never, ever run a RnR event.  I cannot fathom what RnR offers that other don't, except excessive charges.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

@Julia, I'm in 2 as well. I'll try to look out for you to say hi, but I assume the corrals are pretty big?

Sounds good.  If they set it up the same way as last year, Corrals #1 and #2 aren't really that big.  They're both the distance from the sidewalk in front of the Armory to the Start.  So, there's a good chance we could see each other.  I'll keep an eye out for you, too.  If it's cold, I'll probably hang out in the Armory until maybe 15 minutes before race time.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Julia - Are the corrals typically mixed with the half and full entrants or are they in separate corrals?  My husband who is running the 

half is in corral 7.  I am running the full and in coral 11.   Just trying to figure that one out since I am some what faster than he Wink

steph  

Julia1971

Julia - Are the corrals typically mixed with the half and full entrants or are they in separate corrals?  My husband who is running the 

half is in corral 7.  I am running the full and in coral 11.   Just trying to figure that one out since I am some what faster than he Wink

The corrals are usually mixed, so that's weird.  But, maybe they figure the people running the half (and the relay) are probably going to start out faster than the marathoners, so they factor that in somehow.  The website did say you can try to switch corrals at the expo.  Might be worth looking into if you want to start together.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks Julia.  I will be looking into it at the expo.  But It isn't that I wanted us to be together so much as wanting to

be in the best corral placement that I could beBlush  

steph  

Julia1971

Thanks Julia.  I will be looking into it at the expo.  But It isn't that I wanted us to be together so much as wanting to

be in the best corral placement that I could beBlush  

Cool.  If you can't move up, in my experience, people don't tend to line up very early so you may be able to get to the front of your corral without any problem if you're willing to stand out in the "cold".

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks!  

MTA: And luckily it doesn't look like it's going to be as cold as it could be this time of year.   

steph