Half Marathon Training (Read 226 times)

Darstanley

Hi,

I’m hoping to get some advice from you guys. I coach a number of running groups in my local area throughout the week and I now want to branch into some more 1 to 1 sessions. I’m wondering if any of you would share with me your biggest challenges and frustrations when training for something like a half marathon?

Examples might be:

- Finding the time to train
    - Knowing where to begin
    - Struggling to achieve a target time
    - Staying injury free
    - Getting your nutrition right (both during a run and generally)
    - Anything else that you’re having problems with!

I really appreciate your time

Thanks!

finding the time to train was my biggest obstacle. Primarily because running is secondary or tertiary on my list of outdoor activities, but I manage.

I started with the Hal Higdon .5 marathon training regimen and tailored it to fit me. I was already running, so I modified it a just a lil'.

I didn't/don't have a target time. Obviously I don't wanna take all day to run 13 miles, but I'm looking to break any land speed records either.

I injured my groin, or adductor muscle, tendon or some shit. Hurt like a MOFO and took 4-5 months to fully heal.

As far as nutrition goes, I drink TONS of BEER, TONS, but I eat healthy. My chick has a funky diet so I go by that. Lots of fish, chicken, roasted veggies and shit. Also, lots of GU, Cliff and Blueberry Luna Bars.

Only problem I have right now is the weather, it's melting my secret ice climbing spot.

This is prolly not exactly what your looking for, but it's a start.

an amazing likeness

Thinking of the most common discussion topics over the years from newer runners in our Half Marathon group here on RA -- there is little in common with your list.

- Most have run some races and are now looking for the new challenge of a longer distance;

- Most have a training plan in hand and have questions about how to execute it, or deal with making it fit their life reality;

- Most are focused on how to handle the challenge of the push up to longer distances from (what are typically) daily runs of 3-4 miles;

- Most are running fewer days per week than needed to build their training base mile volume;

- Most are putting the focus of their training on a few long runs instead of a steady diet of mid-distance.

Somewhere in those is the start of a needs analysis.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

I see people training at paces based on their goal rather than current fitness. Training too fast may lead to injuries. Also, over estimating your fitness and goal time leads you to starting the race at too fast of a pace and a slower time. These are common things I see. You can't short cut training. Training is year round and not just 12 - 16 weeks before an event if you want to race well vs just finish.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

For now... I need to dial it back few notches, try to kick it with just one girl for awhile. I dint see this coming, we'll see how it goes, baby steps.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

tomkim

Great advice. Over training is always too common! Smile

I see people training at paces based on their goal rather than current fitness. Training too fast may lead to injuries. Also, over estimating your fitness and goal time leads you to starting the race at too fast of a pace and a slower time. These are common things I see. You can't short cut training. Training is year round and not just 12 - 16 weeks before an event if you want to race well vs just finish.

Megan29

Link spam