Undone by a water bottle at the New Delhi Half Marathon (Read 931 times)

Man in Tights

I ran the Airtel New Delhi HM, one of South Asia larget and richest races, last Sunday .

I blasted of and hit the 10 K mark in just over 46 mins aiming for a sub 1:40 finish.

Just as I was approaching the water stop before the 11 K mark the moron running in front of me took a bottle of water and dropped it right in my path. My right foot landed on it and I wrenched my ankle. The pain was horrendous but i did not stop. I limped ahead for about 2 K and then gathered speed as the pain subsided a bit. I hit the finish line at 1:41:48, 2 seconds faster than last year. That was the only consolation for what should have been a 1:38 finish time.Angry

I'm now in a plaster and out of action for 4 weeks at the very least. My next marathon is on 15th January but it seems very unlikely that I'll be able to fully recover by then.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1WjxDtgyBJvQmheX_wc5OpZVwBvFWfHTkwvdj8JfN9Y?feat=directlink

That sucks. Sad  Congrats on a great finish, despite the painful obstacle.  Nice photo!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Man in Tights

thanks Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

That sucks. Sad  Congrats on a great finish, despite the painful obstacle.  Nice photo!

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, man...sounds like a grade 2 sprain.  I'm sorry.  I'm truly amazed that you finished as well as you did, under the circumstances.  Please baby that ankle.

As much as it sucks to do so, I think you're wise to forego the marathon in 6 weeks.  When I suffered a similar sprain a year and a half ago (during a trail relay) I was totally out for 5.5 weeks.  It was probably 12 weeks before I approached my pre-sprain fitness, but to this day my ankle is still not what it was pre-sprain...in large part because I finished out the legs of my race, then "walked" around on it the next day, didn't ice it continuously, didn't elevate, drank beer...pretty much ALL of the things that prevent a sprain from healing well.  My range of motion on my left ankle isn't nearly what it is on my right side.  I hope to get back to trail racing this next year, but I will likely always run with a brace on that ankle, for added protection from future rolls.

Do you have access to a bike or pool?  I did a TON of cycling when I couldn't run.  It helped minimize the fitness loss and loss of my sanity (sorta, heh).

I hope your ankle recovers well and you can set your sights on some races in a few months.  Sprains are no joke.  Whenever someone minimizes the severity of a grade 2 or 3 sprain vs. a fracture I assume that they've never actually suffered a serious sprain.  I wish I would have broken my ankle.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Narsi, well done man!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Narsi, well done man!

(Judging from your profile yopu may recognise my avatar photoi, Jacques Villeneuve.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Man in Tights

Ah your'e a formula 1 fan. I catch atleast 2 races a year

Great

Man in Tights

Oh, man...sounds like a grade 2 sprain.  I'm sorry.  I'm truly amazed that you finished as well as you did, under the circumstances.  Please baby that ankle.

As much as it sucks to do so, I think you're wise to forego the marathon in 6 weeks.  When I suffered a similar sprain a year and a half ago (during a trail relay) I was totally out for 5.5 weeks.  It was probably 12 weeks before I approached my pre-sprain fitness, but to this day my ankle is still not what it was pre-sprain...in large part because I finished out the legs of my race, then "walked" around on it the next day, didn't ice it continuously, didn't elevate, drank beer...pretty much ALL of the things that prevent a sprain from healing well.  My range of motion on my left ankle isn't nearly what it is on my right side.  I hope to get back to trail racing this next year, but I will likely always run with a brace on that ankle, for added protection from future rolls.

Do you have access to a bike or pool?  I did a TON of cycling when I couldn't run.  It helped minimize the fitness loss and loss of my sanity (sorta, heh).

I hope your ankle recovers well and you can set your sights on some races in a few months.  Sprains are no joke.  Whenever someone minimizes the severity of a grade 2 or 3 sprain vs. a fracture I assume that they've never actually suffered a serious sprain.  I wish I would have broken my ankle.

Hey thanks for the advice. I'm in a plaster so its pretty much protected. I'm doing an upper body workout to maintain fitness as much as i can. I'll be this way for 2 weeks more. Then go into rehab with an ankle brace and start swimming. So i should be back in action by the second week of Jan. Can't bloody wait. 

oh I'd have said something under my breath, you're much nicer than I would have been about it. 

Man in Tights

Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

I just cannot understand why people in races can't at least throw their stuff OFF TO THE SIDE, instead of right down in the road. Is it that hard? One cold day everyone was throwing down their cups right on the road and the result was...a nice big sheet of ice right past the water station. Nice thinking, idiots. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Too bad you didn't get his number.

Honestly, though, when I read the thread in the beginning, I thought you were going to say that you got the runs from the water in India.

Jeff

Man in Tights

the water here is good. no problem