2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I'm not racing Boston I'm guiding  my athlete (AWD) sub >2:40. I wear a guide bib but I'll also have my own bib as a backup to pick up some WMM points.  A few weeks ago, I paid $385 entry fee. In retrospect it was stupid but I  was thinking my time could get me into London 2020 in the age group competition on Abbots marathon majors. I've decided to add Grandmas. If I win my age group at Grandma I'm guaranteed in for London. The  leader of my age group won  CIM 2:28 had a 2:35 RnR Arizona. 2nd in AG ran 2:31 and 2:35???. If he does Berlin again then he wins overall as he has 4000 points. Berlin is the last cut off race for the competition. Funny thing is a guy who finished behind me got the same points as me.  After Boston they will say how many spots get in.

Slammin - I’ve always been impressed with your racing/training/character/humour. ❤️

You help runners less fortunate than yourself...but you will still end up being fastest Boston marathoner on this thread. 😀

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Slammin - I’ve always been impressed with your racing/training/character/humour. ❤️

You help runners less fortunate than yourself...but you will still end up being fastest Boston marathoner on this thread. 😀

Well stated Mikkey, I totally agree!

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

Let me fix that for you

If I had to guess the Boston order, this is what I think it will be (always fun to get a little competition in here!):

Weather

Finbad

JMAC

Lela

Jayluf

Sling

Jimmie Johnson

I'd put my odds of going under 3hr at maybe 30% now.  I think it would require pretty good weather and a near perfect race on a difficult to manage course.  I have an 8k in 2 weeks that should give me info.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Slammin

Weather

Finbad

Lela

JMac

Jayluf

MMC

Sling

Jimmie

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Slammin

Weather

Finbad

Lela

JMac

Jayluf

MMC

Sling

Jimmie

Always fun to speculate like this... I agree with Slammin, Weather and Finbad as the top 3. But I think you are underestimating MMC. I think he can run 2:40 something, even off of relatively low mileage. JMac is a darkhorse... despite all the injuries and on/off training, when he does a hard workout it is at the same level as when he's injury free in the middle of a cycle.  He could potentially be up there with Weather and Fin. One thing for sure: it will be a great race to track!

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I agree with MMC being a dark horse given his faster times. Regarding myself, I just don't see how I'm not going for a PR unless I have a terrible half in 2 weeks which indicates I have no chance (1:20+) Yeah my training has been complete crap (I'm averaging 46 mpw over the last 12 weeks, yikes). Of course that means either I'm running a 2:45 or a 3:05. Let's hope it's the former 

Tracking is going to be a lot of fun, assuming we get a good weather day. Hopefully Mikkey sets us off right that weekend with a sub 2:55, and JT with a sub 2:50. Let's get a bunch of PRs folks!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Thanks for the boost of confidence folks Smile  And yes Jmac I am certainly going for it - whatever time that might be we shall see Wink  I might reverse the order a bit as I think Fin has a bit more top end speed as evidenced by his fast 10K and HM times if he can marry up the endurance part!  Either way can't believe we are almost 6 weeks away from Boston though!  Also agree that someone like JMac may surprise us with a fast time!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Tracking is going to be a lot of fun, assuming we get a good weather day. Hopefully Mikkey sets us off right that weekend with a sub 2:55, and JT with a sub 2:50. Let's get a bunch of PRs folks!

I’m still taking time out because of the piriformis syndrome niggle that has been bothering me for the last 3 or so weeks and hoping 7/10 days of no running will clear it up completely. As you know I paced my local 1:30 half on Sunday which was ok, but I’m definitely not in Sub 3 shape right now...my mileage has been crap, 250 for January and 172 for February.  Anyway, I’m considering dropping down to the Brighton 10k instead of the marathon (I have until the 22nd March to decide) and focus on London as I’m running for a charity so that race is my priority and need to get to the start line in one piece!  Piwi is still coming over so he could run the Brighton 10k instead of a marathon DNS? Maybe he’ll have lost so much fitness that he’d blow up at mile 4! 😂

I put MMC down the order as a little joke....he’s the real darkhorse!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Well stated Mikkey, I totally agree!

Thanks guys. I've had so many people invest time into coaching me as a junior runner and it never cost me a thing.

So I think it is really important to do the same for others especially those less fortunate. Or those who otherwise would have no outlet.

Its amazing what running does for special needs children it opens up a whole new world and form of expression.

Cerutty had it right when he said Watch children run, and go and do likewise.”

The simplicity and message in that statement is missed by almost everyone who sees it. For those who see it, it is so profound.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I might reverse the order a bit as I think Fin has a bit more top end speed as evidenced by his fast 10K and HM times if he can marry up the endurance part!  

Refuse to admit 2:39 is a good goal for you, saying you won't come at the top...when you run a 2:38 AND finish in first, I'm giving you the silent treatment for WEEKS. Don't even bother writing a race report because I won't acknowledge it.

It would be cool though if you and Fin battle it out for first, would be fun to watch on the tracker for whoever has that duty this time around.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

If I'm battling it out with weatherboy I'll be very happy. I promise I'm going to put out an honest goal after my half next weekend.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

LOL - yes I will agree that some of my recent workouts suggest something close to a 2:40-42 (6:08'ish pace on average) so there ya go Wink Plus I've got a few more big workouts to hammer on the pace a bit.  Fin best of luck on your upcoming HM!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mikkey - I'm not racing Boston I'm guiding  my athlete (AWD) sub >2:40. I wear a guide bib but I'll also have my own bib as a backup to pick up some WMM points.  A few weeks ago, I paid $385 entry fee. In retrospect it was stupid but I  was thinking my time could get me into London 2020 in the age group competition on Abbots marathon majors. I've decided to add Grandmas. If I win my age group at Grandma I'm guaranteed in for London. The  leader of my age group won  CIM 2:28 had a 2:35 RnR Arizona. 2nd in AG ran 2:31 and 2:35???. If he does Berlin again then he wins overall as he has 4000 points. Berlin is the last cut off race for the competition. Funny thing is a guy who finished behind me got the same points as me.  After Boston they will say how many spots get in.

Darkwave you're sitting pretty too. If you do another race you could beat third place she ran 2:52 in Chicago and the 3:08 in NYC so if you want a guaranteed spot for London 2020 you can clinch. The guy from Norway in 2nd did same thing 2:31 in Berlin and 2:35 in NYC. NYC is humbling Ive never ran well at NYC. The moral don't double fist NYC  and Chicago\Berlin. NYC is a jealous witch.

Interesting - I didn't think I was anywhere in the hunt.

Thing is, I was planning on doing Boston 2020.  I've heard that some years sub-3 is enough to get a masters female into that elite start (depends on the year, but 2020 will likely be an easy year, due to the trials).

Regarding potential performances and Boston, my only comment is to remember that at Boston, more than other marathons, one's fitness does not correspond perfectly to one's performance on that course.  Experience, and in particular, experience with rolling downhill marathons (a completely different beast than either flat marathons or rolling downhill shorter races), is key for Boston.

Edited to add: anyone else catch the women's Euro Champs 3K?  Hell of a race.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Refuse to admit 2:39 is a good goal for you, saying you won't come at the top...when you run a 2:38 AND finish in first, I'm giving you the silent treatment for WEEKS. Don't even bother writing a race report because I won't acknowledge it.

It would be cool though if you and Fin battle it out for first, would be fun to watch on the tracker for whoever has that duty this time around.

Not sure if you’re reading the same thread as me...they’ll be battling it out for second place.

Weatherboy is obviously in great shape and is the only runner that never seems to get injured!....but I don’t think he’s ever run a BOTT marathon and doubt that he’ll go Sub 2:40. That’s just my humble opinion!

steve_