Is it OK to use a 10-year old rusty mountain bike in a triathlon? (Read 220 times)

jingchunyu

Is it OK to use a 10-year old rusty mountain bike (but still road worthy) in a  triathlon? or it is too embarrassing?

Doobry

Is it OK to use a 10-year old rusty mountain bike (but still road worthy) in a  triathlon?

Yes.

Religion is just a contest to see who's got the best imaginary friend.

Muebele

Yes, my first tri I used a road bike that was at least 20 years old.  I wasn't going to go out and buy a bike just to see what Tri's were all about.  I liked racing them, upgraded to a 10 year old bike, than upgraded again to a tri bike (used) for my third year.  You will not be the only person using a mountain/hybrid bike in the race

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I used a Huffy Cruiser complete with bell. And, no, I wasn't the only one on a cruiser.  And, no, I wasn't even remotely DFL on the bike portion.

So, yes, it is okay.

You people have issues 

berylrunner

Rick

Seriously?  Is the tri scene like this?

I would be the guy with floaties for the swim, unicycle for the bike, and run barefoot for the run.  Point is, I don't give a rat's a$$ what other people think I look like.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

paul2432

I agree with the others.  You will not be embarrassing to yourself, but you might embarrass a few folks on $10,000 bikes if you are faster than them.

Still kicking

I got some road tires for my mt bike, and it would work great for a tri. But I prefer using my 51 year old 10 speed (upgraded to a 12 speed).

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

sure, why not? If it's what you have, then use it. As others mentioned, you might look into putting on some skinny road tires, it will help a LOT. I used my old Kestral MXZ mt bike with some 1.25 slicks for a duathlon in the 90's and it was fine.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I agree with the others.  You will not be embarrassing to yourself, but you might embarrass a few folks on $10,000 bikes if you are faster than them.

I did pass several people in the cruiser.  I made sure to ring the bell so they knew they were being passed by a cruiser. 

Of course this was a sprint Tri so only 16 miles on the bike.

You people have issues 

snake84

DO IT!!!!

I love to see the guy with old beat to hell gear crush some dude that thinks he can just throw money at greatness.

I always enjoy passing people going up Mt Tam who are all decked out on team uniforms that match their $5000 mountain bikes; while I wear an old t-shirt astride my 1999 FSR. I give them a hearty hello and words of encouragement. In cycling you CAN buy performance, up to a point.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

jingchunyu

Then does it cause sense of inferiority to swim using other strokes rather than front crawl?

yes.

mountain bike is ok.  You will likely be slower than other options for obvious reasons.... In fact, you might buy a better bike after the race because you enjoyed it so much, and knowing that a little better equipment will get you a little faster.

Regarding other strokes in the swim.  Goal is to finish.  If you did a butterfly, and I was swimming next to you and passing me, I'd likely try to drown you Wink.  But the swim portion goal is to survive with 'decent' speed, and there are varying levels of skill within the swim portion.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

delicate flower

Every triathlon has people on mountain bikes, comfort bikes, and cruisers.  You'll be just another athlete.

<3

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Then does it cause sense of inferiority to swim using other strokes rather than front crawl?

I used to be a competitive swimmer with the breast stroke, and my crawl sucked.  I used breast for my first triathlon, but then I worked up to being able to swim farther and faster with freestyle (crawl) and switched over.  Nobody laughed at me (that I knew of!) but then again, I don't think I was ever aware enough to notice what strokes others were using back in my tri days!