Running in the Rain (Read 1232 times)

So today was my first run in the pouring rain. It was about 68 degrees out, so it wasn't too bad. I wore a capilene shirt and shorts and then a loose-fitting shell over my top half, and also a hat to keep out the rain from my eyes. It worked really well, though I think I was a little over-heated due to the shell. I guess my main concern are my running shoes. I just bought them and I don't know how much them getting wet will affect their 'life'. Do I do anything specific to dry them? Am I worrying for nothing about it? Any other cautions or advice about running in the rain? Kimmer
    My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
      Stuff them with newspaper and trun them upside down

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Hi Kimmer I found a little trick for drying your shoes. Immediately after your run scrunch up some dry newspaper and jamb it in your shoes as tightly as you can and leave it in at least 12 hours. The paper comes out wet and the shoes are like new. The paper acts like a wick. Never put on heat registers or to dry in the sun or the shoes will break down way b4 there life. Try it, I was a skeptic but it works!
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Any other cautions or advice about running in the rain?
          Don't forget cars can't see you as well... and probably won't be looking for you. Sorry, that's my mom talking there... Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Don't forget cars can't see you as well... and probably won't be looking for you. Sorry, that's my mom talking there... Smile
            If you are in a race the tendency is to take the straight line right through the puddles. Don't do it! Go around if you can as wet shoes and socks is almost a guarantee for blisters. I don't mind running in the rain in the Summer when it's warm. Not so nice in the Fall or early Spring. Most running shoes especially the high end shoes have a lot of webbing on topand are great for air circulation but terrible in the rain. If I know its going to rain I select a pair with more leather on the tops. They tend to be more rain resistant. Otherwise - Enjoy the Rain, it's Only WATER!! lol
            WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Forrest, do they make toe covers for running shoes, kind of like what cyclists can wear in the Winter to keep their feet warm? That would be a useful invention--just something to keep the water out from the tops of the shoes... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Forrest, do they make toe covers for running shoes, kind of like what cyclists can wear in the Winter to keep their feet warm? That would be a useful invention--just something to keep the water out from the tops of the shoes... k
                Like the old time spats? Only fits the entire tome of the shoe, sheds water and breaths.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Sounds like a great idea! I"ve never seen covers in any running stores up here in the great white northSome sort of curved light weight plastic that could lace onto your shoe might work well. I will do some searching and let you know if I find anything. Dave
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speaking of running in cold climates during the Winter months, how do you dress for the weather? I was thinking that I will do layers...polypro tights and shirts, fleece, wind pants, windbreakers, etc. Any specific gear that I should keep an eye out for? I'm even wondering if I might want a pair or trail shoes for Winter--perhaps in a half-size larger to accomodate a thicker sock...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Speaking of running in cold climates during the Winter months, how do you dress for the weather? I was thinking that I will do layers...polypro tights and shirts, fleece, wind pants, windbreakers, etc. Any specific gear that I should keep an eye out for? I'm even wondering if I might want a pair or trail shoes for Winter--perhaps in a half-size larger to accomodate a thicker sock...? k
                      Layers are the answer. I go with 2 or 3 thin layers depending on how cold it is and especially how windy. I get by with 2 layers on the lower body. Its hard to get a good stride with any more. You have to be very careful in winter races as you can easily overdress and over heat. If you have friends along the race route you can dump layers if you are too hot. I like a lightweight windproof jacket for the outer layer. You can run with it unzipped or tie it around your waist if you get hot. Have a warm coat ready at the finish even though you feel hot The general ruleof thumb is to dress with a little less than you feel you need when you are stretching outside b4 your run. I buy many pairs of those inexpensive stretchy kids gloves. My hands have always been cold to start but after a mile or so out they can easily be stuffed in a pocket. You can double them up on cold days. I have saved many runners who started out without gloves and found out they made a mistake in the middle of their runs. I also found windproof underware for those really cold windy runs. (a life saver - the guys will know what I mean) lol I wear ear cuffs to start and they generally end up on my wrist b4 my run is done. I generally wear an older pair of shoes with thicker socks but its surprising how your feet and hands warm up once you are running. I find that if my ears, hands and feet are warm, I'm fine. By the way I saw tons of show covers for bikers but I don't think they would work for runners. Haven"t seen anything for running shoes yet. Oh, you can buy shoes designed for winter running. I've never tried them. Maybe they could be used in rain as well. I was thinking of cutting out the shape of the top of my shoes out of a Javex type bottle (to get the curve needed) and puncture two small holes to lace it to my shoes.(maybe more holes if it flops around) It's worth a try! Sorry about the long post - I tend to get a little verbose at times.
                      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                      xhristopher

So today was my first run in the pouring rain. It was about 68 degrees out, so it wasn't too bad. I wore a capilene shirt and shorts and then a loose-fitting shell over my top half, and also a hat to keep out the rain from my eyes. It worked really well, though I think I was a little over-heated due to the shell. I guess my main concern are my running shoes. I just bought them and I don't know how much them getting wet will affect their 'life'. Do I do anything specific to dry them? the Am I worrying for nothing about it? Any other cautions or advice about running in the rain? Kimmer

Hi Kimmer. Nice to get used to running in the rain during the summer. It sucks in the winter. Hope you have gotten used to it by now.

L Train

Ziploc bags and a Brady helmet.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Body glide feet and other chafe sensitive areas before the run. Wet clothes will rub you raw.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

NHLA

I keep  pair of almost worn out shoes for rain runs. Swiftwick socks help. Hat  to keep rain out of your eyes.

You are waterproof.

BeeRunB

Another 9 year old Kimmer thread back from the dead.