So would anyone care to explain VO2... (Read 2245 times)

Lazy idiot

Perhaps "we" should learn to differentiate between what we mean (V02now) and what we say (V02max). I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Tick tock

xor

Forget VO2 or VO2Max. I go for VO5. The existence of VO5 proves that VO2 is not a max. (I now return you to the serious part of this thread)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From Wikipedia: VO2 max is properly defined by the Fick Equation: V02Max = Q ( CaO2 - Cv02) at maximal exertion
        Fixed that for you. And you may want to recheck wikipedia's entry on VO2max... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max#Fick_Equation
          Thanks for the correction, I cut and pasted that entry directly from Wikipedia and had to retype the equation line because the equation is a jpeg. What exactly did you want me to recheck?

Why is it sideways?

Thanks for the correction, I cut and pasted that entry directly from Wikipedia and had to retype the equation line because the equation is a jpeg. What exactly did you want me to recheck?
            His wikiedit.

Right on Hereford...

Clearly? Based on what?
              Based on all of the research that has been done showing that VO2max can be improved through training. Heck, you can improve your VO2max in one week simply by losing a pound of fat.
              Anyhow, your opinion is noted. Among the many places I have learned this, including Dr. Noakes' writings and medical school, the message has been fairly consistent. If you disagree, please feel free to refute this with data or references.
              Well, here's one: http://www.exercisestandards.org/vo2.htm Note the section titled, "How much can V02 max be improved?" Can you post your own references, please?
              Remember, I am talking about your true VO2max, not whatever VO2max you estimate from race results.
              Right.
              I think you missed "for the most part".
              Scout, no, I didn't miss that phrase. VO2 max can be improved by as much as 40% or more in some individuals.
              JakeKnight

(I now return you to the serious part of this thread)
                I like your part better. I just posted a brilliant metaphor comparing Trent to a plumber, and I get nothing. Tough room. But at least you've got lots of body in your hair.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, Q at maximal effort cannot be increased by increasing effort, since increasing effort implies that the original effort was not maximal. Unless you can turn the volume up to 11.

Why is it sideways?

I like your part better. I just posted a brilliant metaphor comparing Trent to a plumber, and I get nothing. Tough room. But at least you've got lots of body in your hair.
                    I thought the brilliant part was comparing VO2max discussions to a plugged toilet.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Based on all of the research that has been done showing that VO2max can be improved through training. Heck, you can improve your VO2max in one week simply by losing a pound of fat.
                      Nope. Losing a pound of fat does nothing to your VO2max. When you train or lose weight, you may improve your speed or your efficiency or your cardiac output to the point that you can approach your true VO2max with a given activity's VO2. But ultimately you will bump into your body's maximal ability, its VO2max. This does not change with weight loss or exercise. Do note, again, that your VO2 from some recent 5k may not represent your potential maximal ability. As a result, it does not represent your VO2max.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, Q at maximal effort cannot be increased by increasing effort, since increasing effort implies that the original effort was not maximal. Unless you can turn the volume up to 11.
                        The maximum stroke volume can be increased gradually through training. Up to a limit. Most trained runners have maximized their stroke volume. Then Q decreases as we age. Q = stroke volume x heart rate. Good job updating Wikipedia Trent, you did that so quick it confused me.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Exactly. That limit is your VO2max. A Q lower than your limit is NOT representative of a VO2max.
                          JakeKnight

I thought the brilliant part was comparing VO2max discussions to a plugged toilet.
                            I thought of as a broader GSP metaphor. By the way, during my epic de-Tanyafication, my VO2 max was reportedly 47. I don't know what that means, but I want it to look like I'm contributing something scientific. Did it work?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JK, that was your VO2 for the specific activity, as estimated by an imprecise formula. It was not your VO2max. If it were your true VO2max, you'd never get any better.