Is it possible to drop 1:12 off of your 5k time in two weeks? (Read 827 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I know it sounds like a stretch but I wonder if it is possible to drop 1:12 off of your 5k time in two weeks? I ran a 5K on a relatively flat course(But very windy) two weeks ago. It starts out on a mildly steep hill then goes down hill for more than 1 mile. However, it then goes up a gradual hill for more than 1.5 miles before finishing down a steep short hill. I managed a 19:12 but there were a lot of turns at the end so I couldn’t really get into my full sprint as early as I wanted to. The course I am going to run on Saturday is as flat as it gets in our area(Raleigh NC). It has a nice 1 mile flat section to start and then it goes up for about .75 miles. Then it is all downhill or flat from there. I tend to do much better when there is a flat section or a nice long downhill section to end a race. I have trouble climbing hills but the opposite is true on downhills. I can really use my 6’4” height(36” leg length) to my advantage on the downhill sections. So is it possible to shave that much time off just because the course is flatter? Here is a little about my running. My PR for the 5k is 18:26(last fall) on a course very similar to the one I will run on Saturday. I finished up with a 1:03 last quarter mile on that race. That last quarter mile made all of the difference. That shaved about 25 seconds off of my average pace in that quarter of a mile. I recently ran a 59 second .29 miles to start a race down a steep hill. Yes I know I have trouble holding back when I see the steep hills. I plan on shooting for a 5:50 first mile, a 6:20 second mile, I hope to lay the hammer down for the last mile in 5:20, and then a final 29 second last tenth+ would get it. I run these races with my kids in a double jogger. Needless to say that is why the hills have such a great affect on me. My ultimate goal was to break 18:00 with the kids before I hang up the stroller. They are getting too big now(4 and 2 years old). If I reach my goal on Saturday I think I will sell the stroller and concentrate on the marathon.
    Lane

I plan on shooting for a 5:50 first mile, a 6:20 second mile, I hope to lay the hammer down for the last mile in 5:20, and then a final 29 second last tenth+ would get it. I run these races with my kids in a double jogger. Needless to say that is why the hills have such a great affect on me. My ultimate goal was to break 18:00 with the kids before I hang up the stroller. They are getting too big now(4 and 2 years old). If I reach my goal on Saturday I think I will sell the stroller and concentrate on the marathon.
      I don't have any basis for this, but my gut tells me you can do it. My gut also tells me that you are the epitome of manliness. Good luck, I am pulling for you!
        Only one way to find out. That's going from @ 6:11 to 5:47 pace. Pretty big jump. And still 26 secs better than your PR. (Unsure of your other training: Perhaps your'e in better shape now, but the kids are heavier, too.) Comparing courses is tricky because of the variables you mention. Good luck. Here's hoping you do!
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Definitely possible, but a 5:20 third mile is a tall order after a 5:50 and 6:20, hills or not. Outstanding that you can run those times with a stroller. Time to turn in the stroller and go for sub-18! Good luck!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Go Pre!

I know it sounds like a stretch but I wonder if it is possible to drop 1:12 off of your 5k time in two weeks?
            I hope so...I will let you know on Sunday...I am shooting for a 1:06 off previous best. (Previous 21:05 - goal 19:59) Smile
              I know it sounds like a stretch but I wonder if it is possible to drop 1:12 off of your 5k time in two weeks? I ran a 5K on a relatively flat course(But very windy) two weeks ago. It starts out on a mildly steep hill then goes down hill for more than 1 mile. However, it then goes up a gradual hill for more than 1.5 miles before finishing down a steep short hill. I managed a 19:12 but there were a lot of turns at the end so I couldn’t really get into my full sprint as early as I wanted to. The course I am going to run on Saturday is as flat as it gets in our area(Raleigh NC). It has a nice 1 mile flat section to start and then it goes up for about .75 miles. Then it is all downhill or flat from there. I tend to do much better when there is a flat section or a nice long downhill section to end a race. I have trouble climbing hills but the opposite is true on downhills. I can really use my 6’4” height(36” leg length) to my advantage on the downhill sections. So is it possible to shave that much time off just because the course is flatter? Here is a little about my running. My PR for the 5k is 18:26(last fall) on a course very similar to the one I will run on Saturday. I finished up with a 1:03 last quarter mile on that race. That last quarter mile made all of the difference. That shaved about 25 seconds off of my average pace in that quarter of a mile. I recently ran a 59 second .29 miles to start a race down a steep hill. Yes I know I have trouble holding back when I see the steep hills. I plan on shooting for a 5:50 first mile, a 6:20 second mile, I hope to lay the hammer down for the last mile in 5:20, and then a final 29 second last tenth+ would get it. I run these races with my kids in a double jogger. Needless to say that is why the hills have such a great affect on me. My ultimate goal was to break 18:00 with the kids before I hang up the stroller. They are getting too big now(4 and 2 years old). If I reach my goal on Saturday I think I will sell the stroller and concentrate on the marathon.
              Jason Driving Force....wondered where you went too... This guy is crazy and will try to run a 5:20 third mile...believe it everyone. Normally I would say a normal mortal wouldl die attempting that and JDF you probably will die trying it but I also think there is a chance you can pull it off. You have some good sprint speed when you are dog tired that is very rare. Good luck.....Im still trying to break sub 20...ran 171 miles in March in anticipation of my 2008 racing season debut which starts in the next couple weeks.
              JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Mich, Good to hear from you also. You are going to get that sub 20:00. I can feel it. I haven't been doing anywhere near the training I was doing in January. I was training hard for the marathon and I got injured for the first time in a long time. I know I could have destroyed my 5K pr back then on the right course. However, the 5ks I did back then were in some extreme winds(40 mph+). If the course is right on Saturday(no wind) then I think I will have a shot at it. I still have the speed I have just lost some endurance. In the 5K the endurance doesn't matter as much. Thanks for the encouragement! See you all at the races!
                JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Only one way to find out. That's going from @ 6:11 to 5:47 pace. Pretty big jump. And still 26 secs better than your PR. (Unsure of your other training: Perhaps your'e in better shape now, but the kids are heavier, too.) Comparing courses is tricky because of the variables you mention. Good luck. Here's hoping you do!
                  The kids are a little heavier now but once the stroller gets over 100 lbs it just seems heavy no matter how much they ate that week.
                  JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Looks like my chances are dwindling. Forecast is for Thunderstorms and 20+ mph wind gusts! Not exactly PR weather now is it! Especially since the double stroller has the drag coefficient of a MACK truck!
                      Looks like my chances are dwindling. Forecast is for Thunderstorms and 20+ mph wind gusts! Not exactly PR weather now is it! Especially since the double stroller has the drag coefficient of a MACK truck!
                      right ... know your limits. I ran about 10 five-ks last year. Four were too hot, one was snowing, I was sick for two and 3 were just right.
                      JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

right ... know your limits. I ran about 10 five-ks last year. Four were too hot, one was snowing, I was sick for two and 3 were just right.
                        Unfortunately, you know how I am when it comes to my “Limits”. I am attempting to at least PR in that 5k tomorrow morning(With the kids). Then I am going to attempt to pace the Umstead 100 women’s record holder for a single 12 mile lap of the 100 miles she will be running tomorrow. She averages less than 10 minute miles for 100 miles of hilly trails(Water stops included). I will hurt on Sunday! I was able to get several people to agree to pace me down to a sub 18:00 tomorrow. If I can just finish with them I will have it. They are all good for upper 17’s. They don’t bring their kids with them though! I ended up doing about 23 races last year. From the 1 mile to the marathon! I should be able to get 30 in this year with no problem.