Martial Arts (Read 1787 times)

I tend to spend around 6 hours or more a week on martial arts. This gives me the cardio, the resistance, and the flexibility training that I like having and all while having fun. I do tend to do a lot more than that as far as cross training is concerned though. Being in the military, we have regular training days that involve a variety of calestenics(sp) and cross training. I tend to ride my bike quite a bit as well (though not recently, I need to get back in to it)

Imminent Catastrophe

When I was in martial arts, training for my black belt, I was in overall the best shape of my life. Flexibility, upper body strength, explosive power, balance...martial arts is really great. I miss those workouts.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Wingz

Professional Noob

I just started back at taekwondo tonight after being out 2 1/2 years following an ACL tear and surgery. Anyone have any good exercises or ideas on how to stabilize a knee (in addition to wearing a brace) when it's no longer used to side-to-side, jumping, and twisting? I've only done running since... and felt it slide around a bit during class tonight! Shocked

Roads were made for journeys...

I trained for a few years...I only got my brown belt though. Tongue Anyway, I was incredibly flexible...I'm almost ashamed at how I've lost so much flexibility over the last 5 years. Surprised I really loved it...really miss it. Not the sensei though. Evil grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Wingz

Professional Noob

It's not too late to go back! You don't have to go back to the same school. Some of the stuff you learned will carry over. And if you can find another school with a similar enough style they'll probably even let you keep your belt... and just take some extra time before testing...

Marathonmanleto

I also trained for several years and miss it dearly. If you can get behind the facade that the industry has perpetuated and really practice Martial Arts it can be vary rewarding. Of great interest to me is the practice of meditation which I continue daily. Running and MA share many of the same core similarities.
                I like it. I have gained so much flexibility and stamina over the time that I have been in training. I believe that helps significantly with my running. I also don't hurt as much as I used to.
                  I started running because I needed better cardio and stamina for my martial arts training. Since a lot of my arts' foundation is in having solid, strong legs I find running fills in that gap. What art is everyone training in? My school teaches six classical japanese lineages.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm currently studying taekwondo (about 2 years, back from a 2 1/2 year hiatus), though I used to study Okinawan Shuri-Ryu (about 4 years... or was it 5?) and also managed to sneak in around a half year of kempo and a spattering of ninjutsu. I started running largely because I got so out of shape after I had to stop my taekwondo due to an ACL tear and surgical repair. Now that I'm finally able to do martial arts again (truly my first love! Big grin) I find I want to continue running in order to continue to improve my CV health and weight loss. But it's all about the TKD for me! Big grin Running's a poor substitute for being able to thwack a heavy bag with all your might... Wink

I did Shito Ryu with my husband... the kiddos did some too but weren't nearly as into as we were. My dh did Shotokan for many years (13?) then did Shito Ryu with me and after I had my last, he started in Danzan Ryu (a Hawiaian style ju jitsu) for almost 4 years. I had no desire to grapple with big sweaty men so I bowed out of that. Dead

Jennifer mm#1231

Universal Kempo Karate for me.
                          When I was in martial arts, training for my black belt, I was in overall the best shape of my life. Flexibility, upper body strength, explosive power, balance...martial arts is really great. I miss those workouts.
                          My brother used to do some form of martial arts, and he was in the best shape of his life while he was doing that. Now he's too busy with work and only does kick boxing, maybe once a week. He's getting older too, but the difference is pretty obvious. He should go back to martial arts!

Michelle

Wingz

Professional Noob

I've started a Martial Arts group - Martial Artist Runners. Come join me! Big grin

Another Passion

I trained for a few years...I only got my brown belt though. Tongue Anyway, I was incredibly flexible...I'm almost ashamed at how I've lost so much flexibility over the last 5 years. Surprised I really loved it...really miss it. - Interjected: So does DH! Evil grin

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

LOL, how'd you guess? But I'm still trying to catch up with him...he has 2 more black belts than I do. Black eye oh wait..you were talking flexbility? hubba bubba. I haven't lost THAT much. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231