Running with my lab in winter (Read 106 times)

dogrunnner19

I adopted a dog - adult labrador retriever - in summer and since then been running with him on a daily basis. He loves it! It is getting cold outside (about 16 degrees right now) - it will be around 0 at the end of this week. Does my dog need a coat to go out running in this cold? Or winter boots? I know he has thick coat but still... 3 degrees is COLD!!!

Gator eye

Being a lab I'm sure the cold won't bother him just as long as your not going 20 miles. I would watch his feet if your running on the road where they spread salt.

My chessie has done 10 miles in below zero temps with no problems, he gets a white looking beard on his neck and around his mouth from panting in the cold weather.

an amazing likeness

For a big ol Lab, it's going to be all about taking care of his feet -- they need time to acclimate if he's been an indoor dog, and the road salt is killer on them.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wouldn't put a coat on him in any weather, as long as he's running.  I would be concerned about his paws, however, due mostly to slush, snow, and salt.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

A lab doesn't have an undercoat does he?  I am used to dogs with an undercoat, who never get cold unless it is truly frigid.  You will know when your dog is too cold if he begins limping and holds a paw up when you stop.

My female has the kind of fur that traps snow (probably not a problem for a lab), and we got her a fleece bodysuit from K9TopCoat (.com).  They make lighter, spandex versions too, and I think there is also a water resistant one.

My other German shepherd doesn't wear a coat, just a bright orange reflective vest for safety (RuffWear Track Jacket) and he doesn't wear shoes since they don't salt the roads out in the country (they just use sand).  He is good down to about 12 degrees F, and right now he runs with me for an hour and then I bring him home and go out and run another hour alone.

If you do run on salty roads you absolutely have to protect his paws.  I am a fan of the RuffWear product line, high quality stuff, but there are cheaper routes.  There is a kind of dog bootie that looks kind of like a rubber ballon that I have seen in pet stores.  A google search should turn up a variety of styles.  There are also products for moisturizing the foot pads, but honestly it is far better to avoid dry, cracked pads in the first place than to try to heal them.

Leah, mother of dogs

npaden

The Labrador Retriever originated in Newfoundland, Canada and is believed to have descended from the now extinct “St. John’s Water Dog”. Labs where trained to help retrieve fishing nets from the icy cold waters of the North Atlantic. Their dense, water-repellant coats, swimming skills and hard working nature made them the perfect dog for this task.

I think you'll be fine.  He will do fine in the cold.  

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Hoban-Jay

I adopted a dog - adult labrador retriever - in summer and since then been running with him on a daily basis. He loves it! It is getting cold outside (about 16 degrees right now) - it will be around 0 at the end of this week. Does my dog need a coat to go out running in this cold? Or winter boots? I know he has thick coat but still... 3 degrees is COLD!!!

Give him a loose leash, so he can run wear he's most comfortable running.  Other than that, watch him.  If's cold, miserable moving slowly, doesn't act like he normally does when out on a run...then bring him back and try again another day.  He'll let you know what he's willing and able to do...you just need to listen to him!

npaden

My labs had a great time out running with me today.  No salt on our roads.

dogs in snow

We ended up doing 6 miles.  I stopped to take the picture and it took them a second to figure out that I stopped before they came tearing back to me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)