Age graded milestone (Read 1312 times)

Prince of Fatness

I ran a great 5 mile race Saturday.  It was a 37 second PR, which I am very excited about.  Since I'm in my 40's as a habit I look up my age grade for my races.  It turns out that I came out with 70.26.  That's the first time I have ever gone over 70.

Since I didn't take running all that seriously in my younger years, all of my masters PRs are also lifetime PRs.  I think that I still have plenty of room for improvement, but there probably come a time when I look closer at age graded results to gauge performance.

Anyone else here use age graded results in this manner?

Not at it at all. 

I'm in the same boat.

I love that older me can kick younger me's ass.

Well done, MrPH!

kcam

I use age graded results.  I, like you, am setting PR's in my 40's because I didn't train or race seriously when I was younger.  I plot all of my races on an age graded basis and, really, AG result is just as if not more important to me as my actual time.  I run my races in the upper 70's range.  My last 5K was a 78.4%, my last marathon was 78.6% if I remember correctly.  I believe that I am an upper 70's runner.  My big, big goal is to run a race, any distance, at 80% or higher.  I think that may be the limit for me, I don't even know if I can get there as 78.5% has been after losing weight and training lots of miles.

And congrats on the 70% milestone - I know you've been training hard for a while now. Good to see that pay off.

And congrats on the 70% milestone - I know you've been training hard for a while now. Good to see that pay off.

no doubt .. good job on the 70 milestone and 80 goal.  I am finally on the verge of the 60 milestone with 59.53 59.91 in last two races. 

Hey its an improvement as last year goal was just to get 50.  Also in the 40+ boat as did not start running until 39 and have easily smashed my last year PRs.

Sundays 5 Mile race this 60 yr old man put up a 32:00 and that is like 82.9%,  As he was getting his award I told the guy next to me that would be my goal now ... to be able to run that fast in 20 years or just be able to run as fast as a 60 yr old!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

kcam

no doubt .. good job on the 70 milestone and 80 goal.  I am finally on the verge of the 60 milestone with 59.53 59.91 in last two races. 

Hey its an improvement as last year goal was just to get 50.  Also in the 40+ boat as did not start running until 39 and have easily smashed my last year PRs.

Sundays 5 Mile race this 60 yr old man put up a 32:00 and that is like 82.9%,  As he was getting his award I told the guy next to me that would be my goal now ... to be able to run that fast in 20 years or just be able to run as fast as a 60 yr old!

RA contributor JimHowe, regularly throws down mid 80's AG results. A 'bad' race for him is low 80's! 

Prince of Fatness

Thanks.  I'm not to the point where I am targeting an AG number per se.  I think I still have a bunch of room for improvement in actual times, at least for the next several years.  What I do is look the AG number up after the race, just for reference.  I think I can get to the point where I am consistently in the low 70's.

Good luck in your quest for 80.

Not at it at all. 

I didn't start running until 50 and for the last three years (now in year 6 of running) I keep showing improvement.  I'd like to check out my grading, can you point me to a website?

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

kcam

I didn't start running until 50 and for the last three years (now in year 6 of running) I keep showing improvement.  I'd like to check out my grading, can you point me to a website?

Larry

Here's one site.  http://www.pinebeltpacers.org/AgeGrade/newwava.html

There are a whole bunch of sites that just replicate the WAVA calculations.  I'm sure someone else can post a better link that will explain age grading as well as do the calculations.

Here's one site.  http://www.pinebeltpacers.org/AgeGrade/newwava.html

There are a whole bunch of sites that just replicate the WAVA calculations.  I'm sure someone else can post a better link that will explain age grading as well as do the calculations.

wow those are tough.  my best mile was something like 4:56 at age 16.  According to that site I'd have to run 4:58 to match it for an equivalent 40 year old time.  I only get 2 seconds head start on the 16 year old me.  I would have thought it was a lot more than that. 

The only thing better than age-graded calculators are age/gender calculators.

xor

Nah, sex and beer are two things better than wava tables.

kcam

wow those are tough.  my best mile was something like 4:56 at age 16.  According to that site I'd have to run 4:58 to match it for an equivalent 40 year old time.  I only get 2 seconds head start on the 16 year old me.  I would have thought it was a lot more than that. 

The standard for a 40year old male is 3:56!  I punched in a few numbers into that calculator and you'd have to run a 5:12 mile at 40 years old to be equivalent to a 4:56 mile at 25 years old, so ya get 16 seconds head start.  (The 25 year old you would have beaten the 16 year old you .. if you had continued to train!)

The standard for a 40year old male is 3:56!  I punched in a few numbers into that calculator and you'd have to run a 5:12 mile at 40 years old to be equivalent to a 4:56 mile at 25 years old, so ya get 16 seconds head start.  (The 25 year old you would have beaten the 16 year old you .. if you had continued to train!)

We can blame Eamonn Coghlan for that. I think he's still the only person over 40 to break the 4 minute  mark. But I'm pretty sure he only did it once after the age of 40, at age 41, so I should check exactly how those wava baseline figures are calculated - I thought they were based on world's best performances for that age. Maybe if an older runner has a faster performance it pulls up the baseline of younger ages??

I'm another big fan of age-grading. It also allows you to compare races over different distances. Like Ken I'm eyeing that 80% mark but it's still a little way off. (State Street mile excepted!)

John

MTA - okay I looked it up. This explains it. I like this quote:

'Current age-group world records do not yet meet these standards.'

Slackers.

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

I ran in a windy, hilly 5k in my town last year with <50 people in it.  and someone ran an age graded 95%.  

of course she was 78 years old.  but still... 95% on that day was something.  I think she has hit 98% in better conditions. 

Hum.  Something to look into.  I'm 70, and have been running for 11 months, improving my time all along, and would be very interested in these calculations.  I'll check them out.  Woods Lady

Doug B.  Thanks for the web site. I just went there, and think all Master  Masters  should try it.  It will make your day!

MrPHinNJ     Congratulations on the PR.   Way To Go!