Hey buddy...can I bum a smoke...... (Read 1462 times)

Donn1

Uncle Dude

.....well there are 7 words you'll never hear me utter....um....Ever again. Up until Jan 10th of this year you may have however. Ya see, having been an avid smoker for 27 years ( yes 27) I have bummed my share of butts. Smoking was THE impossible hurdle in my life. Until now. It was like a light went on...and boy was it bright. I feel stupid for not seeing it before, but whatever, I see it now. I'm 45, male, married...happily, dad to three great kids, all teens. But what I really want you to know about me that I am a runner. Except I had  forgotten that somewhere along the way. The fact that it took me 27 years to blink is either an indication of my own inner addiction tendencies and my inability to make the right choice or a testament to the addiction tendencies of nicotene and it's ability to make choices for you.  I'm sure it's varying bits of each.

So, as I said...I'm a runner and I always have been. It's not something that I feel one can "grow" to enjoy. You either are or you aren't. There is no grey area. I used to run a lot. But I was much younger, in high school. Cross Country, Track, road races etc... I never really stopped runnning...per se'. Even as a pack a day smoker, every now and then I would get up and hit the road for 3-4 mile run. Just like that. I certainly would not include those runs into the category labeled "gratifying" or "fun" but they were runs none the less. So here I am,  today,  training for a half marathon this April. I'm commited. And once your commited, only then can you have a chance at success. I've logged over 40 miles in the last 3.5 weeks and will be at or over 200 quality miles the day of the race. Short miles, long miles, tempo miles, walking miles and some cross training on the really snowy days. I will run this 13.1 miles and I will be on cloud nine every step of the way. I never thought that this was something I would ever do again in my lifetime. So take it from this old guy...this runner...it aint over till it's over.

Donn Born Again Runner 2010 Half Marathon 4-25-10 Glass City 1:55:55 5K < 23:00 Just Run

Queen of 3rd Place

WTG!  You body will rebound well from those years of smoking. My mom was a chain smoker for over 50 years, and finally quit only after a stay in the hospital and finding out that she had really messed up her body. At 78, she looks awful, and will not have an easy rest of her life.

Ex runner

Good job Donn! I smoked at least a pack a day for twenty years. I gave it up a little over three years ago after many failed attempts. I think I got it beat this time. I haven't smoked once since I gave it up and I don't have any cravings.  Every so often, a smoker will sit next to me on the bus during my commute home and smell like a chimney. I can't believe I use to stink that bad.

nextyearcubs

Congrats!  I used to smoke until  2001.  I smoked as a teenager and into my early 20s, while I didn't smoke as long as some people have, it was tough just the same and I still can't believe I was a smoker at one point.

I had some motivation, there was a girl I wanted to go out with, but she wouldn't date a smoker.  So I quit.  It didn't  work out with the girl, but a while later I met my wife and she was even moreso against smoking, so it all worked out in the end.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Outside Lane

Way to go!  Good luck with the butt-kicking and with your training for your half.

I still need to quit (I had quit once for 8 months - about 2 years ago - but started up again).  Quitting seemed easy (used the patch) - but for me , I just fell back into it one day.  I want to try again to quit for good - I want to do my first full marathon this Fall - and that's provided some new motivation again to kick the butts.

See how they run...

Donn1

Uncle Dude

Beatlemaniac....Thanks for your kind words. I know, for me, when I decided that I wanted to run this 1/2 marathon the quitting was easy. Like a light went on as I said. I guess in order for me, and maybe you, to kick the habit, we must commit fully to our choice. Unless we can fully commit, we stand little chance of success. "Decide, Commit, Succeed" . ......(Credit that last quote to Tony Horton P-90X)  It really is that simple. Good luck to you my friend, I'll be looking for your "I Quit" post in the comming days.

Donn Born Again Runner 2010 Half Marathon 4-25-10 Glass City 1:55:55 5K < 23:00 Just Run

Donn:  I love this post of yours & your honesty!!  Although never been a smoker, I do understand the addiction issue much more than I would like to because of being a "co-dependent"  to certain addictions with family members (mine & wifes"s) over last several years.  Your words really hit home in a way too real way.  But you are proof that there can be victory!   Also,  I have discovered over last 2 yrs that I am a runner, always have been, always will be, does not matter that I am not an "elite" runner.  There was a period of several years that I got away from running, working out, & being physically active.   Now at 54+  I am in better fitness condition & healthier (have got "perfect health" assessement last 2 exams from doctor) than over last 20+ yrs.   Stay strong & watch out for those "triggers".

Intentionally Blank

Good job, Donn!  I quit smoking on July 1, 1997, and it was the hardest thing I ever did.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As the daughter of 2 former smokers, can I thank you?  Nearly 3 years ago my dad suffered a stroke on Easter at the age of 62.  I was scared for his life, but also f'ing pissed.  It took a STROKE for him to quit.

My mom quit cold-turkey when I was about 10, but before then both of my parents smoked in the house and in the car.  I have asthma and pretty much continuous battles with lung issues and likely will until the day I die.  Running helps my overall lung function, but at the same time exacerbates asthma issues that I didn't have before I started running.  My mom also has asthma bordering on COPD and they both have chronic coughs.  I have a very difficult time feeling pity for them, since my own breathing issues are almost certainly the result of being exposed to their smoke for the first decade of my life.

You have done a huge favor to yourself AND to those around you.  I hope you find that your run quality improves greatly now that you've laid aside the cancer sticks.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jfa

As a former smoker I only have one little reminder for you. No matter what you may think , you will be ,for the rest of your life, one puff away from total addiction. Please don't ever forget that.

coastwalker

"to kick the habit, we must commit fully to our choice. Unless we can fully commit, we stand little chance of success"

Well-said, and I couldn't agree with you more! When I quit, a little over 20 years ago, I was ready and committed, and it was easier than I thought it would be (not that it was easy - but easier). It was one of the best decisions I ever made, and there is just no way that I will ever go back.

Enjoy being a runner and an ex-smoker. You will never, never regret having made the decision and the commitment to quit smoking.

Good luck in your April half!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Are we there yet?

I used to think it was the best decision I ever made unitl I quit drinking also. Still, there are few decisions that we can make on a daily basis that will GUARANTEED add years to your life. This has been proven.. As for the insanity of it, I can relate. I smoked for a bit and was constantly battling the internal me vs myself conflict.. empty promises..etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QN11MVwKs8 = insane

As with alcohol, I have found that we cannot simply "will" ourselves to change otherwise we would have done so long ago as the facts are clearly printed in black and white on the warning labels.

The change must come from a power greater than ourselves, and we can humbly ask for help when we are ready to surrender to our powerlessness over said addiction. It's sounds cliche but ask and you shall receive.

Gotta TRI

As a former smoker I only have one little reminder for you. No matter what you may think , you will be ,for the rest of your life, one puff away from total addiction. Please don't ever forget that.

+1 to that! I quit 3 years ago and feel great. I run everything from 5k's to marathons and all sorts of tris' but am constantly looking over my shoulder for that "monkey" that got off my back.

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon