Fantasy Football Strategy (Read 1074 times)

Also, scoring is important in who you draft. If you are rewarded 6 pts for TD's thrown  and bonuses for yardage than your thoughts on taking a few QB's isnt that bad of an idea.

Still a bad idea to get two or three QB's early.  If there is more value placed on QB than the typical league, then yes, draft one earlier than you normally would, but never 2 QB's that early.  You'll need an average QB as a backup because you'll use him for one week (bye week of starter).  You can't draft worried about injuries.  It's part of the game.  If your QB gets injured which happened to me last year with Romo, then that's when you can shine as a fantasy owner by making some good trades.  You'll have guys that draft Rodgers and Vick in the first round, but their value isn't that much greater than the next group of QB's that will be taken.  Don't get roped into grabbing a QB because the two guys drafting in front of you do.  Those are the type of guys I like in my leagues because it leaves more top RB's or WR's for me.

SMART Approach

+1.  He got me through my draft on Monday and will get me through my next next Monday.  His show on Sirius is great too if you have satellite radio.

Yep, in my car a lot and listen to Sirius all the time. I am hooked on the Fantasy Sports station. My wife thinks I am psycho! I always throw back that $10,000 and she keeps quiet Smile

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Yep, in my car a lot and listen to Sirius all the time. I am hooked on the Fantasy Sports station. My wife thinks I am psycho! I always throw back that $10,000 and she keeps quiet Smile

Your wife sounds like mine.  We bought a new car last September, right at the start of football season, that came with 3 months free of sirius.  As soon as I found the fantasy football station, I knew I'd be getting that subscription to Sirius. 

Winning money cures all.  My wife use to always complain until I won over $1,000 in my big money league two years ago.  That shut her up.  Plus, I've been in a smaller league for 4 years now that pays out $350 to first place and small winnings to second and third place.  I've placed in the top 3 all four years and first place 2 of the 4 years.  Now, my wife doesn't complain when I'm out late on the draft night or spend my Sunday morning reviewing injury reports and listening to updates.     

All you have to do is ask yourself one question... "Who would Al Davis draft?" Then, do the opposite.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

SMART Approach

Al Davis is a joke! When he retires or passes, they will have a better team. He keeps thinking everything is about "SPEED" which is why he got Pryor and is why he drafted Howard-Bey a couple years back. Speed is important but teamwork and being a "football" player is most important. Not one of the Green Bay Packer receivers are track speed burners but they are all football players and fast enough as they don't get caught. Chastin West scored on a 97 yd TD last Sat and his 40 yd dash time was 4.64 coming out yet he was not caught by the cornerback.  Football speed is more important than track speed. He really needs to let the experts make the decisions. He has no clue!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Tiefsa

All you have to do is ask yourself one question... "Who would Al Davis draft?" Then, do the opposite.

Good plan.  Kind of like Kostanza doing the opposite and then being successful.

xor

COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE

In the interest of full disclosure, or something, I should admit that I am a Raiders fan. Sigh.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Still a bad idea to get two or three QB's early.  If there is more value placed on QB than the typical league, then yes, draft one earlier than you normally would, but never 2 QB's that early.  You'll need an average QB as a backup because you'll use him for one week (bye week of starter).  You can't draft worried about injuries.  It's part of the game.  If your QB gets injured which happened to me last year with Romo, then that's when you can shine as a fantasy owner by making some good trades.  You'll have guys that draft Rodgers and Vick in the first round, but their value isn't that much greater than the next group of QB's that will be taken.  Don't get roped into grabbing a QB because the two guys drafting in front of you do.  Those are the type of guys I like in my leagues because it leaves more top RB's or WR's for me.

Like I said "scoring is important" I've played in leagues where the QB scored heavy with TD's and bonuses and you started 2 QB's.

If it isn't you can wait, but if it is..

Like I said "scoring is important" I've played in leagues where the QB scored heavy with TD's and bonuses and you started 2 QB's.

If it isn't you can wait, but if it is..

I agree with you if the league starts 2 QB's.  That changes everything.  I think I mentioned something like that in my first post.  All leagues are different and you defninitely have to know the settings before walking into a draft.  I don't think the OP ever mentioned the settings in the league.

I agree with you if the league starts 2 QB's.  That changes everything.  I think I mentioned something like that in my first post.  All leagues are different and you defninitely have to know the settings before walking into a draft.  I don't think the OP ever mentioned the settings in the league.

I don't like a league where you draft 2 QB's that just does not make much sense to me.  I know, I know it is just fantasy football but that sort of scoring system makes no sense to me. 

I think you should always mimic the Patriots.  Take the best player available at the time regardless of the position for the first three rounds.  When in doubt go with a RB!  If you see a big difference between the top tier running backs and the second tier then go with a QB or WR.  I see only possible running backs in the first tier. CJ, AP and AF.  Everyone else has question marks.  I see AJ as the only Tier 1 WR and I see Brady, Rogers, Brees (?) and Rivers as Tier 1  QB's.  Charles could be huge for KC but I actually think he has a bad year.

Where is the best place to find SOS against the run and pass for this years draft?  I know it would be based off of last year but it gives a person an idea. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

I see only possible running backs in the first tier. CJ, AP and AF.  Everyone else has question marks.  I see AJ as the only Tier 1 WR and I see Brady, Rogers, Brees (?) and Rivers as Tier 1  QB's. 

This is why fantasy football is so fun.  Again, it all depends on the scoring system.  If it's a PPR, I put Ray Rice above AP and CJ.  I even have McCoy higher in a PPR.  Not quite above the proven guys like AP and CJ, but right behind them.  CJ's stock is really falling.  Sure, he'll get the contract worked out right before the first game, but you have that hamstring pull risk since he hasn't been getting the work in preseason.  Happens every year to guys that stay away from preseason games. 

Tiefsa

I guess I'll go after mostly RB's.  I've been reading up on some stuff, but I really don't know the players well enough.  Thanks for the help.  

Time to bring this thread back to life!!!  

I HAVE DOUG MARTIN THIS YEAR.  

Now if I could only get my $100 back from the spectacular failure that was last year's team, I'd feel a little better.

SMART Approach

I drafted Doug Martin in 5th and Brandon Marshall in 3rd and got RGIII in 10th round. My sleeper pick was P. Garcon in 8th. Loved him. Unfortunately, he got hurt.

One of those wacky years for me.  I have Doug Martin and gambled on Peyton and it's paying off me.  Problem is the last three weeks I've had the 2nd highest point total in the league and unfortunately, played the team with the highest...three weeks in a row.