SAFETY - GPS / phone (Read 156 times)

CT JEFF

HI. Ive tried going on runs with my phones. They are just too big and annoying. Sure, its great for those times when a photo op presents itself, but usually my desire is to have someone be able to find me if I am lying unconscious and ideally to be able to communicate. I have found different marine devices that are about $400 and still require monthly fees.

TIMEX recently announced the IRONMAN GPS ONE+, a watch that also lets you send out GPS location and take/send calls. Cost is about $450 with a year of service by AT&T included.

I was in Verizon, and found this fairly inexpensive kids phone. It lets you call 2 numbers. and lets 2 more (pre-programmed) numbers call it. And it sends out GPS location. Design leaves something to be desired, but for $80 (outright cost) and $5 a month, its not too bad.

Today I also found this option from AT&T. $100, (lets you call 5 numbers) also has GPS.

I know there are many runners who have run without any tech at all. I also know runners who have had the police called when they dont return when they are expected. I just like the idea of being able to possibly call for help rather than to hope the idiot who hit me with their car will do the right thing.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

runmichigan

Do you do most of your running on roads or trails? Cellular coverage is often limited on the trails.

running metalhead

I carry a dogtag with my phone (it's always at home). If something happens to me they will find me by the smell of rotting roadkill, LOL.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

mikeymike

I also know runners who have had the police called when they dont return when they are expected.

Its all about setting expectations. Its best to under promise and over deliver. If you're going for a 90-minute run, tell your parole officer you'll be back in 2 hours.

Runners run

I carry a dogtag with my phone (it's always at home). If something happens to me they will find me by the smell of rotting roadkill, LOL.

Dogtag for many years, Road ID last 8 or so. Just a means to ID the body.

Get off my porch

runmichigan

I wear a dog tag - though RoadID has several versions.  This can provide the first responders information about me whether I can talk or not.  I also tell someone generally where I am going to be running, but otherwise I do not worry about it.  Running is generally a safe sport.

I wear a dog tag with wife's phone #, and I carry my phone with the road id app activated.  Can be a little annoying, but it makes my wife happy.

Intentionally Blank

I carry my phone in one of those waist belt thingies.  I don't even notice it.

One of the rare times I did not have my phone was when I was accosted by a stranger while running. I had to flag down a passing cyclist for a phone.

One other time, I got a bit spooked by a car following, so I pulled out my phone to call home and chat for a few minutes just so the car knew I had the phone.  I'm pretty sure the car was completely innocent, but after the first incident, I sometimes spook easily.

TLDR: I carry my phone as a security blanket.

along the lines of "let me google that for you", I found this little nifty device:

Of course, it wasn't intended to track "runners"

Zakizo

I used to live in Hawaii and did a lot of trail running. I had a few scares where I almost tripped over the edge of some nasty cliffs due to sore legs. After that I started carrying my phone in my hydration belt pouch.  But like someone else mentioned cell service is limited on a lot of trails, especially on Oahu once you start hitting higher elevations or go deep into certain valleys.  I'm now living in Minnesota and don't carry it anymore.  I guess I don't feel the same concern. Plus I have a bigger phone making it even more inconvenient.  I would hate to wear a separate GPS device on top of my running watch too...  I guess I enjoy my trail running enough to make any risks well worth it.

www.zakizo.com

Join the fire.

CT JEFF

Nifty. Cost is a factor for me until I win the lottery. Since this is a device for law enforcement, I dont expect 3M to charge less than $80 for the device. But depending on your needs (tracking  your kids) it could be useful.

along the lines of "let me google that for you", I found this little nifty device:

Of course, it wasn't intended to track "runners"

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!