RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

GatsbyBird

Les Mis was fantastic!! Anne Hathaway's performance was the big surprise for me...she was brilliant.

I enjoyed The Hobbit too. Despite the whole 3 movies thing, I think they did a pretty good job with the first installment.

Agree on Les Mis.  Hugh Jackman pretty much blew me away -- didn't know he had that in him.  Russell Crowe, on the other hand, was a pretty weak Javert.  At least when he had to sing.  Which was sort of the whole point, unfortunately.

3/30/24 Rattlesnake Dick 25k, Cool, CA

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

aponi

never runs the tangents

I loved The Hobbit, loved it. I have zero interest in Les Mis and don't even get me started on the notion of Tom Cruise as Reacher.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'm not big on movie musicals, but my whole family was going to Les Mis, so there I was.

I was unfamiliar with the story, so I was extremely disappointed when (minor spoiler alert) Anne Hathaway's character died.  Man alive, that girl is way too young to be that good of an actress.  And solid pipes to boot.

Hugh Jackman did as good of a job as I expected...I knew he had the chops to pull it off, and he didn't disappoint.  Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter weren't revolutionary, but did the job they were cast for just fine.

And Russell Crowe...I actually, usually, like him a lot, but wow, he really phoned it in this time.  Singing was sub-par, which might have been forgivable if he'd nailed the part - but even though I don't have anything to compare it to, never having seen anyone else perform it, he seemed disinterested and distant the whole time, not exactly the French Darth Vader that I gather Javier is supposed to be.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Cool Jump Suit

Saw This is 40.  Not really a big Paul Rudd fan, but I liked it overall.  I'm not even 40 yet either.  Pretty believable......at least from my life's point of view.  I laughed out loud several times.  The wife even shed a tear once. The lady from Mike and Molly cracked me up.

So bittersweet,
          This tragedy
          Won't ask for absolution;
          This melody,
          Inside of me,
          Still searches for solution.
          A twist of faith,
          A change of heart
          Cures my infatuation.
          A broken heart, 
          Provides the spark
          For my determination.

SheCan

I'm too cheap and hyperactive to go to the theater much, but  still have a love for movies.  Looper was one we rented this past weekend that I found surprisingly engaging and fast paced.  Even at 60 some, Bruise Willis is still charming, and quite the hero.

I can't wait until Seven Psychopaths comes out on DVD!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

watched Searching for Sugar Man earlier & it was brill (soundtrack alone is mesmerising).  gets a whopping 4.6 out of 5 badgers from me.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Oscar noms. are out.  I love that Skyfall was nominated in 5 categories.  I also love that Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were both nominated for best acting awards.  I have yet to see Silver Linings Playbook, but even before it came out I thought the casting sounded like the makings of a winner film.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm too cheap and hyperactive to go to the theater much, but  still have a love for movies.  Looper was one we rented this past weekend that I found surprisingly engaging and fast paced.  Even at 60 some, Bruise Willis is still charming, and quite the hero. 

Saw this on RedBox last night.  How they caught the first guy still haunts me.

The emotion bolts holding the ending together need to be tightened up.  Otherwise, nice movie.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

SheCan

Saw this on RedBox last night.  How they caught the first guy still haunts me.

The emotion bolts holding the ending together need to be tightened up.  Otherwise, nice movie.

Ha ha!  Not exactly sure what that even means!  It seemed a fitting ending to me, though I feel I should have seen it coming, and for some reason didn't.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hugh Jackman did as good of a job as I expected...I knew he had the chops to pull it off, and he didn't disappoint.  Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter weren't revolutionary, but did the job they were cast for just fine.

And Russell Crowe...I actually, usually, like him a lot, but wow, he really phoned it in this time.  Singing was sub-par, which might have been forgivable if he'd nailed the part - but even though I don't have anything to compare it to, never having seen anyone else perform it, he seemed disinterested and distant the whole time, not exactly the French Darth Vader that I gather Javier is supposed to be.

The two main characters were the wakest part of the movie.  Hugh Jackman cannot sing.  I'd had enough of his strained vibrato halfway through and it kept getting worse.

dog person

I can't wait until Seven Psychopaths comes out on DVD!

Bruce Willis is 57. Not that is makes a difference to me, but I'm sure it does to him.

Kristian

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Apparently I need to see this Silver Linings Playbook business.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

AjayMac

I have heard mixed reviews from my movie critic friends, but I really want to see Gangster Squad. It better live up to at least some of the hype for it to have already been deemed "The greatest gangster film of the decade." I mean, we're just two years and one month into the current decade . . . 

________________________________________________________________________________________

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." –Confucius

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

Steel Buildings

xor

Ha.  Roger Ebert borrowed that exact praise-quote to declare that this decade probably won't be a good one for gangster movies.

AjayMac

Haha! Perhaps not, but we've got a few more years before we'll be able to tell for sure. 

BUT I am super-pumped about Jurassic Park in 3D! I was obsessed with that movie when I was a kid. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." –Confucius

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.