Running while on holiday... (Read 923 times)

Currently, I run three times a week: an easy run of about 5 km, another of about the same length with intervals, and during the weekend a more or less long run (today I ran 11 km (6.8 mile), trying to increase that with 1 km (0.6 M) each week).

I've signed up to run a 1/2 marathon on October 9th (my goal is just finishing, no time goal.)

My question:

In August, we go on holiday.  We'll be in Switserland (on an altitude of 1850 m, 6000 ft) for 8 days, and then we go to Italy for a week.

I was wondering if it makes sense to skip my long run during our stay in the mountains: we hope the weather will allow us to make some rather tough hikes, and I hope that will kind of compensate for that skipped long run. Could I do that, or would that mess up my training scheme?

Running in Belgium
    Ann

an amazing likeness

Sounds like a wonderful holiday plan...a grand tour of your extended neighborhood.

It seems to me that if you don't do some running while on your holiday, you will go two weeks without any training.  The hiking in Switzerland and all the general walking will help, but you will loose those two weeks of running from your base.  Running consistently will pay off more than running less and keeping your longer run -- so if giving up the long run lets you keep running 3 or 4 times per week, that's the plan I'd go for.

Overall, were I in your shoes, I'd try to keep as many days of running in the holiday as possible, even if it means shortening the longer runs. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I think I didn't explain my plan very clear:

I wanted to skip only my 'long' run, but still do the other two trainings...
        So in the first week I should run twice, but skip my long run.  (I was in the same region in Switserland before, and I remember that although I didn't have problems while hiking, the altitude made doing long runs very hard.)

In the second week, I will try to run thrice, and indeed do that long run. 

Running in Belgium
        Ann

I wouldn't worry about it... it's only one run, and some long, hard mountain hiking is good stuff.  However, I'd consider adding some more running days to your week (not while you're on holidays; just in general) heading towards the half. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

an amazing likeness

I think I didn't explain my plan very clear:

I wanted to skip only my 'long' run, but still do the other two trainings...

Ann,

I understood. I'm advocating keeping to the same number of runs and cut back the distance if needed, rather than dropping one of the runs. You are only running 3 day per week, cutting back to 2 days means loosing 33% of your running events.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

drrbradford

I wouldn't worry about it... it's only one run, and some long, hard mountain hiking is good stuff.  However, I'd consider adding some more running days to your week (not while you're on holidays; just in general) heading towards the half. 

+1

Also, don't just 'get round' your half. Set a target and work for it! You've got months to build up to it.

Ann-V, you are in a similar situation to me - but you have a long run I need to attain and soon. I was going to try for 5 miles today but its really hot and humid so another 3 miler seemed to be my limit. Maybe tomorrow...

I am signed up for a half marathon in Oct. as well, and will be spending 2 weeks in Iceland in August which are 2 very important training weeks. I am going to take your advice and keep running through holiday, perhaps just shorter runs, but lots of hiking.

i'm just hoping they have launderettes for the moist running clothes! Good luck on training, and keep me posted as to your progress!

Thanks for all the advice!

OK, I'll add an extra day of running for the next weeks, and during my holiday I will try to run at least three (shorter) runs...

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Overall, were I in your shoes, I'd try to keep as many days of running in the holiday as possible, even if it means shortening the longer runs. 

If you were in her shoes, your feet would hurt.