Gear grab bag (Read 83 times)

waynesm

Looking for recommendations / adaptable ideas of a mesh bag for transporting gear.  I think mesh would be ideal - provide air circulation, and contents are mostly visible. zippered or drawstring. with straps or handles, or without (I can adapt). Main requirement is durability. Packable in suitcase is a plus Smile Size I'm thinking 2-4 cubic feet, but bigger is fine.

Side notes - Can't always predict trail conditions when leaving the house (or from work after a day of work). So need all season gear bag, but moreso for winter for gloves, shirt layers, water, sunglasses, vest, spibelt, etc. (not shoes) - quick throw stuff in and go. (Not looking for gym bag or knapsack/backpack - got those)

Luciplay

I wish someone answers this, I'm looking for one for the longest time already.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Grocery bag works fine. It allows air to circulate. It’s washable. Quickly stuffed. Easily storable. Fits in a suit case.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dhuffman63

Trails

Check the dive sites.  When I scuba'd I had a mesh bag used to transport any lobsters/fish I caught.  Pretty durable.

Julia1971

Not sure how these would work for a race, but I use these packing cubes for personal travel. I don't travel a lot but I've had an assortment of them for maybe 3 years now and they look good as new.  If you live near a Container Store you can check them out in person to see if they'd fit the bill.  There are also cheaper versions on Amazon.

Edited to add: for the one ultra that I did run, I used an Adidas sackpack like this one.

dhuffman63

Trails

I used the High Desert drop bags for my ultras.  They were waterproof and very durable which was a plus as a lot of my races seemed to have rain as a component.

zebano

Check the dive sites.  When I scuba'd I had a mesh bag used to transport any lobsters/fish I caught.  Pretty durable.

Seconding this but any swim site should do. My son has one of these for his swim gear.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

berylrunner

Rick

Produce bags like orange or onion bags.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

worldofsolit

spam

The compact bags that fold into their own pocket are nice, and you can get them with sort of backpack straps so you can haul it out if needed. And keep a kitchen garbage bag in it in case you need to waterproof it.

This one is $10

Travel Ultra-Compact Rucksack Waterproof 20 Liter | Decathlon

I'm pretty sure you can find a mesh version.

When I needed a drop bag, I just picked something up at a Goodwill for $2 because I didn't want anything precious, and I assumed it might be expendable. Same thing for a jacket to wear standing around in the cold waiting for the gun; I'm not going to toss some expensive, loved jacket on the side and hope to get it back later. The $5 Marmot fleece I found at a thrift store is fine if I lose it...or not; now I've come to like it!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying