"Scared" of progress! (Read 110 times)

Ferryman

I am sure many, many people have struggled with the thought-process I am about to describe...

I started running randomly last March or April... 2 times a week, for only 3-5 minutes at the gym... followed by a 30-minute walk. Gradually, without my conscious input or thinking... I got better at it. Now, I'm running about 5-8 miles a day, and last Saturday I ran 15.4 miles on my treadmill. 

Now... I am "stuck" with something I really like to do... but... at the same time, I am scared of my own progress! I set a goal to run 18 miles this Saturday... and it's been plaguing my head for the last week, causing a lot of unnecessary stress and unease. 

It seems like I am horrified of my own sudden "success" with this hobby. And, I'm also unsure about how this amount of running affects my health, and what kind of diet/lifestyle accommodations I have to make. My parents have these doubts too... and they voice them in a way that makes me even more stressed-out and uneasy. 

Can someone give me some beginner advice? I want to set clearer goals for myself, develop a more solid diet plan, see improvements in my running distance/times, and keep running off my mind... until it's time to actually run. Any recommendations (books, youtube channels, your own advice) would be immensely helpful.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Ferryman.

I'm not going to give you advice in terms of goals to set, regimens to follow, books, videos, etc.  But what I would like to do is remind you to focus not on your achievements but on how the process makes you feel.

How do you feel as you're running those 5-8 miles a day?  How do you feel about yourself?  About your health?  About the process itself?  Does this running leave you more joyful than you were before?

When you tangle up the relatively simple act of running with a slew of measurements, charts, and expectations, my experience is that the joy decreases.  There's nothing magical about running 18 miles vs 15.4... so WHY do you want to do that?

If it's worth doing, then is it also worth doing for the long haul?  It sounds like you're rapidly increasing your workload.  My best advice to you right now is to take a pause on the increases and continue focusing on what's most important to you in the process.  Keep going with your daily routine, and don't pin your happiness on hitting a specific number on the treadmill.  Focus on the joy of it.

Roads were made for journeys...

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Running can be very addictive to some people and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you maintain realistic goals and don't over train. Listen to your body and take an easy day now and then when you just rest or do a short recovery run or cross train. Also it is good to set challenges for yourself but also be willing to rethink plans if you feel you are overdoing it. "Too much too soon" can cause injuries which can set you back by months. Progressing to an 18 mile run this coming Saturday is not out of the question, I did my first half marathon with just three months of training and I've done a marathon after just a few 15 mile runs! And if you started back last in March you've had a whole 10 months of training to reach this point! Look, I'm 70 years old and due to my work situation was unable to do much running until I retired in December. Over the past 8 weeks I've gradually increased my distance from just a single mile to an eight miler yesterday., howbeit I'm moving at a very slow pace. My ambition is to reach a half marathon distance by spring and be doing 20 plus mile distances by late summer and do a marathon the beginning of October. Hopefully I'll be able to get my pace back up, my long term goal is to Boston qualify, but maybe not realistic this year! Anyway, the point is although I don't have your personal information most likely you are younger than me and if an old geezer like me can entertain running ambitions there is no reason for you to be scared of having goals of your own! I would not be worried about adverse effects on your heath as long as you gradually build yourself up for your goals with consistent training and are willing to back off if any issue pops up. If you are really concerned about how you are handling your running obsession you my want to just follow a running plan, of which there are many available or consider paying for a online coach to guide you.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Don't fall for the fallacy that more is better and each new goal has to be longer.  Better goals, at least for me, have been longevity (I've been running for well over 50 years and hope to eventually reach 100,000 lifetime miles), and feeling that I've run as best I could when I race given the conditions and my current training.  It doesn't have to always be about a personal best.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

dhuffman63

Trails

You don't say how old you are but your parents are influencing your thoughts you sound to be young.  Unless you are a professional athlete don't let other people tell you how and when to run.  It should be fun and enjoyable and not a burden.  If you are running on a TM then put on some headphones and listen to music you like or an audiobook (that's what I do) and just let it come.  Don't set expectations for yourself, just let it flow.  The only time you might want to set up a plan is if you are training for a race.  Even so, don't be dogmatic about it.

I was training for 50ks and got caught up in the constant need to get a run in and it became nothing but a chore and I grew to hate it.  Keep it joyful and you'll be running for a long time.

SMART Approach

Now... I am "stuck" with something I really like to do... but... at the same time, I am scared of my own progress! I set a goal to run 18 miles this Saturday... and it's been plaguing my head for the last week, causing a lot of unnecessary stress and unease. 

Can someone give me some beginner advice?.

I agree with the above comments. There is an addictive component to running where you feel you need more and more to continue to feel good.  Just ask yourself the question below.

If you classify yourself as a beginner, don't have a marathon coming up or you are not in competition mode, then why are you running  an 18 miler in training? I would also ask, are you running 60 miles a week? A long run in a normal course of training, maintenance or weekly structure should not be more than 30% of your weekly miles IMO and most coaches feel the same way.

Evaluate what your goals are. AND many of these goals need to be remaining injury free and training smart and not have running control you.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

LeslieTemple

Running is good habbit for the human health and i also can run daily 15 miles, Its not a bad habbit i think.

Edna Briggs

Wow, incredible. This is just what I needed.

vampire survivors