First Marathon - Boulder Backroads (Read 443 times)

Golden Buff

After 13 years of running the Bolder Boulder 10K, among other 5K/10K's, I am trying my first full marathon on Sunday 9/30. Beautiful course and a bit hilly for the first half. I drove it yesterday to get a feel for the layout and its largely on gravel roads which, I hope, will be easier on the old bones and muscles than the normal pavement. The best part is that in addition to the regular fare to eat and drink after the race, Avery Brewing will be giving away some of their microbrews to all finishers(21 and older). THATS my kind of race. Legs, don't fail me now. Here's the address for the course map. http://www.boulderbackroads.com/maps.html
    Curt
    PWL

Has been

Good luck! I really want to do the Bolder Boulder sometime. I have an aunt and uncle who used to live in Boulder (now in Longmont) and so I have been out there many, many times. I have always heard great things about that race. My first marathon is coming up next Sun (Oct 7th) as well. Hope all goes well--let us know how it ends up! Smile

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

good luck! look forward to the race report! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

A recent long run took me through a road construction zone, and I kicked a piece of gravel pretty hard with my right foot. I was wearing anklet socks, and the damned thing shot off a bony part of my left ankle and it hurt like hell for the rest of my run. You might think about slightly higher/thicker socks. Best of luck to you, be sure to utter the solemn Running Ahead toast (HTFU!) before each of your post-race beers.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.