New Research shows "Being overweight linked to lower risk of mortality" (Read 978 times)

xor

I was always led to believe that mortality rate/ratio is 100%.  1:1 people die.

Ok then

northernman

Fight The Future

I don't know how important this body weight thing is: obviously, nobody wants to be heavier than they have to be, and even if it would slightly increase life span, I can't imaging purposely putting on 10 or 20 pounds for such an uncertain benefit. But I'm much more interested in the fructose thing. How come no one is talking about this new study that claims that fructose does not suppress the satiety center as much as glucose, and so therefore fructose is the source of all evil and obesity in the US? And furthermore, does that mean that I'm fat because of all the apples and honey that I eat?

#artbydmcbride

At least the needs of the fluffier are getting met

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

I don't know how important this body weight thing is: obviously, nobody wants to be heavier than they have to be, and even if it would slightly increase life span, I can't imaging purposely putting on 10 or 20 pounds for such an uncertain benefit.

I think its more along the lines of the other side of the spectrum.  If you are maintaining 10 extra lbs and otherwise have a healthy lifestyle, is it really necessary to go to extreme measures to get rid of those 10.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

On behalf of potty cleaners the world over... THUMBS UP.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

On behalf of potty cleaners the world over... THUMBS UP.

I'd prefer not to see the phrase "thumbs up" anywhere near that graphic.  At least, not while I'm eating.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

xor

So just to be clear...

You are ok with seeing the graphic while you are eating?

Wing

Joggaholic

Agreed. I'm the skinniest person I know outside of my running friends. My BMI is 20.7 -- square in the middle of normal.

If this is a contest I think I'm going to win. My BMI currently is 18.2, and I'm at the heaviest I've ever been. I wasn't fit, and the other responses are right, being naturally thin makes one less concerned about his eating habits and other indicators (like blood pressure/cholesterol...etc)

MrNamtor

at least they sacrificed some realism in the potty photos by having the models wear briefs. Things could have been a lot worse.

MrNamtor

Mmmmm...beer

I was always led to believe that mortality rate/ratio is 100%.  1:1 people die.

Ok then

I refuse to accept this.  Until proven otherwise, I am immortal.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

bhearn

I refuse to accept this.  Until proven otherwise, I am immortal.

+1

This just in:  study proves that being thin is unhealthy.  Everyone should be fat and fit.  Gawd.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/03/opinion/wann-fat-and-fit-study/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

SCIENTISTS BAFFLED!

Just more junk science journalism.

Sidetrack:  What's with the British press calling scientists "boffins", as in "Boffins Baffled"? Sounds demeaning to me, but what do I know?

bhearn

A gather it is a bit demeaning, but that has been standard British usage for a very long time.