Question # 1 (and # 2) (ala the Runner's World survey) (Read 1048 times)

JakeKnight

Okay, so this month's Runner's World published a fascinating survey on all things running. And I thought it'd be interesting to find out how you freaks match up with the rest of the runners, at least here in the US of A. No, science geeks - I have no idea how valid the the survey is, what the N is, how many significant numbers were used, or whether it was a random sampling, or whether the sample is representative by geography or race or culture. (That was a pre-emptive strike, because you know somebody's gonna ask. Dorks.) So I'm going to post some of their more interesting questions. Feel free to give two responses: 1) YOUR answer to the question, and 2) How you think the survey played out. I'll give you the Runner's World answers after a while. And if you're a subscriber, NO PEEKING. Frickin' cheaters. Some of the questions are pretty informative; some of them are pretty funny. (Like the number of runners who would choose running over sex, for example ... Shocked). I'll skip the really boring ones. Keep in mind it's a survey of people who care enough about running to actually subscribe to a magazine, so it's not exactly going to match the general population. Got it? Here the first (make that first two) questions for you to consider: 1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced? This may be interesting. Or mildly disturbing. Definitely one of those.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced?
      1. 3-5 days/week, depending upon the week and time of the year. 2. 20-30, again, depending upon the week and time of the year (I peaked at about 30 and plan to maintain 20 or so all Winter). Bonus: I'm still a beginner runner...but I think I will probably consider myself intermediate one I have run some of the same races more than once. So maybe by this Summer I will consider myself intermediate. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced? .
        I run 3-5 miles a week and about 15 miles a week. Bonus question I am an advanced runner not because of speed or amazing technique but because of my mature age and the amount of time I have been running and racing (since 1983). I know how to get faster...I just don't do it!
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced?
          1) Average over the last two months: 3 days Average over the last two years: once a month (I started running 8 weeks ago.... hence 24 runs in the last 8 weeks.... and in the last two years. 2) 10 miles this week.... Maybe 2 miles 7 weeks ago. 0 miles three months ago. I hope to run 15-20 miles within a few months 3) Absolute beginner About the answers in Runners' World? Of course the numbers for both answers will be much higher....

Running in Belgium
          Ann

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1. Generally 4-5 days per week. 2. Generally 40-50 miles per week 3. Midpack.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

These answers exclude the last two weeks when I was tapering for and recovering from my first HM... Wink 1) about 5 2) between 25-30 "Beginner" - just over one year running and still just starting to find out what I'm capable of...

Roads were made for journeys...

1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced? 1) 4-6 days/week 2) 25-30+ Bonus: intermediate- middle of the pack
                "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
                  Here the first (make that first two) questions for you to consider: 1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) 2) How many miles a week do you run? BONUS QUESTION: What kind of runner are you (applying your own label) - beginner, intermediate, or advanced? This may be interesting. Or mildly disturbing. Definitely one of those.
                  1 - Generally, 5 2 - 30-40, topping out at about 45 miles in my peak weeks before a marathon. (Just a brief comment here--I have friends in my age group that run 60+ miles per week, and do not run any faster than I do in races. Do not misunderstand--I am not saying I am particularly fast. I do believe, however, that the quality/type of the run counts as much if not more than the distance. When I was (much) younger, and running for the Marines, I could run 6 days/week, with total mileage of 80-90/week. However, as you age, recovery time becomes far more important. And, at 55, I can still Boston-qualify for someone 15 years younger. So, those who are not putting in "high" mileage--you don't have to. You do, however, need a lot of 'base' mileage. And, I run a lot of hills. Nearly every day.) Ok. Not so brief. So sue me. Bonus--I don't really know. I wouldn't say beginner. Maybe entry-level advanced. Or advanced-intermediate. Or over-the-hill advanced.
                  My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                    Me: 1. 7 2. 50 ish 3. intermediate Median Runners World answers: 1. 4 2. 25 3. intermediate

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Median Runners World answers: 1. 4 2. 25 3. intermediate
                      Huh...I guess by their poll standards I would probably qualify as intermediate (assuming that they aren't looking at speed, and merely workouts and miles run). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Huh...I guess by their poll standards I would probably qualify as intermediate (assuming that they aren't looking at speed, and merely workouts and miles run). k
                        No, I was just guessing the average answers...see part 2 of Jake's original question. I don't actually know the results of the poll. C'mon do you think I read that rag?

Runners run

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I don't see why I should answer the question when Jake himself didn't even answer it Tongue 1. 5 on average, 6 during marathon training 2. 30 - 60 3. beginner intermediate? disclosure: I read this month's WR, but it didn't affect my answers
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

I don't see why I should answer the question when Jake himself didn't even answer it Tongue
                            Jake's log is public, just like most of the people who answered here... But yes, he should have answered it, I agree. Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

Regina

1) 5-6 days/week, less in weeks with races or after illness, 2-3 weeks off in summer and winter 2) 50 - 70 km when no racing period; peak this year 75 km 30 - 50 km in racing periods, sometimes even less in weeks with races 3) beginner / intermediate Ciao Regina
                                1) How many days a week do you run? (In general) I try to shoot for 5 days a week, but reality intervenes and it's more like 4 days a week. 2) How many miles a week do you run? 15-20. Lately closer to 15 because of my back thing. Sad I'd think that by RW standards, I'm a beginner. But I've been thinking about the beginner, intermediate thing for awhile. It's time to sign up for my half marathon training program again. Don't really need it this time around but dh and I like the social aspect, the 16 week gym membership and the big discount at the local running store. Smile Anyway, time to sign up. Do we run with the beginner group? We did last year when neither of us had run a step before starting the program. (Most people couldn't run the first mile without walking.) This year though, I've been running for a year, run one half marathon and trained for two. (Dh got hurt so we didn't run the second one, though I was ready. I didn't want to do it without him.) I'll be running another half in January, in the middle of the training program for the half in May. I've run tons of 5Ks this summer, several 10Ks and a 10 mile race. I don't *feel* like a beginner anymore. Wink And I'll be running lots more mileage than their training program calls for. The half training program I did for this fall was more aggressive than the training schedule the program uses, even for the intermediate runners. So I know I can handle the workouts. But I'm kinda slow. Smile I can do a half in 10-minute miles at this point. Maybe a little faster in a race and hopefully faster than that by May. The intermediate group is a little more serious about training but the beginners like to have fun. :-) Decisions, decisions. Tongue Teresa