The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

in other news....England is going back to locking more stuff down. They have one national level of doing things from what it looks like.

And the loo rolls are flying off the shelves again. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

But Finland recently opened their border. So even if you can't race this year, you can now cross the Finnish line.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/borders_with_sweden_and_norway_re-open_after_more_than_5_months/11553677

I will physical distance this halloween by reanimating my Dr Rockso cosplay from a couple years ago. Everyone HATES Dr Rockso. (he does c-c-c-cocaine) I've been told by my significant other that I can NEVER do Dr Rockso again. No one tells me what to do, or makes Baby sit in the corner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoLPNugopMc&ab_channel=AdultSwim

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

But Finland recently opened their border. So even if you can't race this year, you can now cross the Finnish line.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/borders_with_sweden_and_norway_re-open_after_more_than_5_months/11553677

Well that’s finntastic news for the tourist industry.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

In 2016 no one hated America more, or thought it was more of a shithole, than Donald Trump. I sure wish he had taken your advice.

The one thing about Donald Trump is that he can provide genuine lol moments at a press conference and his response to the Meghan/Harry question was a classic!  Poor Harry is going to get eaten alive in LA. 😢

Running Problem

Problem Child

And the loo rolls are flying off the shelves again. 

Instead of black friday shopping fights in America it's going to be more paper product fightshttps://youtu.be/Y1nEnOmC6IQ.

Remember when everyone was looking to protect the people around them? yeah me neither.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

The one thing about Donald Trump is that he can provide genuine lol moments at a press conference and his response to the Meghan/Harry question was a classic!  Poor Harry is going to get eaten alive in LA. 😢

From there, you can laugh.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

From there, you can laugh.

Yep, it was worth laughing at....a bit part actress and a nobody who happened to be born into ‘Royalty’ telling the little people who to vote for. Meghan hit the jackpot. 👍

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://news.yahoo.com/nyc-threatens-shutdown-kew-gardens-142905853.html

Well shit. So much for NYC being the example of how to do things. Instead of locking down the entire city/island they're just going to lock down those neighborhoods where they've identified a problem. Novel concept.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/09/24/covid-19-johnson-johnson-vaccine-donald-trump-fda-canada/3510999001/

New York state officials will conduct a review of any coronavirus vaccines approved by the federal government before recommending them to New Yorkers, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.

Cuomo said he feared President Donald Trump would strongarm the Food and Drug Administration into using insufficiently rigorous standards to approve vaccines. 

"We are going to put together our own review committee that will advise me, so i can look at the camera and I can say, 'It is safe to take,'" Cuomo said.

https://news.yahoo.com/ny-review-covid-19-vaccine-220225649.html

[CUOMO] “Frankly, I’m not going to trust the federal government's opinion.”

While all U.S. states are expected to come up with vaccine distribution plans, conducting an independent safety review would be a most unusual move.

Way to not make a vaccine political. Just tell your citizens you're not going to trust the government and the nation's health officials. Obviously New York knows what they're doing when it comes to handling COVID 19. I'm sure ANY change to FDA protocol or standards at this point would be blamed on the current President as an attempt to help his election numbers. Fast track it or delay it. It's all to help himself and Governor Cuomo isn't going to trust the FDA until Joe Biden wins the election. As soon as Joe Biden wins the election we can get a vaccine we trust. Until then those Phase 3 trials aren't to be trusted and I don't care WHAT your experience with epidemiology is.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Kalsarikännit

The CDC and a team that does disaster response surveys had to pull their people out of greater/non-MSP Minnesota because of racial and ethnic slurs being thrown at staff, and a gun being pulled on someone when they were on a sidewalk.

https://m.startribune.com/covid-19-surveys-halted-in-minn-amid-racism-intimidation/572535141/

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Way to not make a vaccine political. Just tell your citizens you're not going to trust the government and the nation's health officials.

Trump has made everything about this pandemic, including the vaccine, political.  Maybe you can blame NY, but you'd be unjustified and wrong.  Time and again he claims every criticism or statement contrary to wholehearted support of him is an attempt to keep him from being reelected.  And now he's even saying if he loses the election, it must be because it's rigged.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My 19-year-old nephew has COVID now.  He's a sophomore at a college in Texas.  He was with two kids last week, one of whom tested positive.  Nephew's first test was negative, but then he started feeling bad so he went for a second test, which was positive.  So far, the symptoms aren't too bad.  They've put him in a dorm for 10 days.  He's taking classes online and they are brining him meals.  He's a mechanical engineering major, so I hope this doesn't put him too far behind.  He's been careful up to now.  All it takes is one slip.  Sad

Then I found out that my second cousin's college-aged son also had it.  That family is nuts - they kept pushing my dad to see a holistic doctor to take vitamin C for his very serious lung condition.  The wife is always posting COVID nonsense.  The family also goes to my dad's church.  Ack.  You'd think this would make Dad take everything more seriously, but it's not.  It's so odd - my dad, the second cousin, and other members on his side of the family are so smart, but they have weird ideas when it comes to medicine, such as thinking that drinking grape juice will cure cancer.  That translates into them thinking that grape juice is good for you in general, so Dad drinks a lot of it.  So much sugar.  Sad

That translates into them thinking that grape juice is good for you in general, so Dad drinks a lot of it.  So much sugar.  Sad

At least ferment it first, right?

Dave

Teresadfp

One day at a time

At least ferment it first, right?

Ha ha ha!  The family has been teetotalers for generations (let's just say I broke the trend...).

Running Problem

Problem Child

Trump has made everything about this pandemic, including the vaccine, political.  Maybe you can blame NY, but you'd be unjustified and wrong.  Time and again he claims every criticism or statement contrary to wholehearted support of him is an attempt to keep him from being reelected.  And now he's even saying if he loses the election, it must be because it's rigged.

I'm not blaming New York. I just pointed out how they're now isolating just one neighborhood. Previously I couldn't turn on an electronic device without getting notified that their leader was going to be on TV talking about what steps they're taking to next lead the country with their handling of COVID 19. It must have been because the way they were doing things worked so well. Now they just isolate those who are infected because the city/state has slowed the spread. I really don't care what the President says about COVID 19 because as soon as he speaks I have to hear one group of people tell me how stupid he is, and another group of people tell me how he's making the right decisions. I am more concerned about what my Governor is/isn't saying than the President.

As for the Governor of New York just straight up saying not to Trust the President because HE has his OWN task force to go through the cure....yeah I'll just point out how well New York has slowed the spread of COVID 19 and now just isolates those with positive tests. It's another layer of COVID 19 swiss cheese. It protects US when THEY are isolated and kept from going into public to spread their infectious disease. I'm just not sure how he is going to enforce it short of having appointed individuals to monitor these neighborhoods. Imagine if the President did exactly this. "hey folks, we've identified New York as having a high amoutn of COVID 19 so we're going to quarantine them and no one can enter or leave New York until our tests show they're not spreading it anymore." I'm sure EVERYONE in the entire county would support this decision by our President and NO ONE would disagree with him because it's a NATIONAL decision to protect the entire nation from COVID 19.

VDOT 53.37