Changing trend in socially acceptable body weight? (Read 361 times)

Mysecondnewname

Yes, I think there is a trend of accepting people as they are - thin or obese. I think it's probably because we are becoming a more tolerant society generally, so when we see a skinny or obese person, we're less likely to judge unless it's way beyond "normal".

You nailed it.   I think it's a sign of the times--after all if the majority of Americans are overweight or obese (we're almost there), that's the new "normal".   I suspect though that enough negative feelings towards fat exist that it will be a while before it's totally acceptable.

On a related note, the AMA recently voted to declare that obesity is a disease http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Health-News/obesity-ama-disease-weight/2013/06/18/id/510639

Although I hope that most would take responsibility for their weight, one of the side-effects of this proclamation is that some can use it as an excuse for their condition, which might hamper them from trying to make constructive lifestyle changes.   (Believe me, as a former fat guy, I am sympathetic to their plight, but the day I stopped making excuses, was the day I took control of things).

Finally, I suspect that lawsuits won't  be far behind accusing others of "obesityism" , "obesityphobism" or some such thing.

Will run for scenery.

Kind of related, maybe, but every now and then I hear denialism about how the whole obesity crisis is just some kind of media/government/social hoopla.  It very definitely is not.  We (in America) are shockingly, extremely obese.

One of my early incentives to start losing weight and (possibly) get in shape was a sort of national shame.  If you travel to other parts of the world, you can't help but notice the contrast.  I never cared too much what *I* as a person looked like, but it bothered me to see how huge and sickly America has become, and to feel like a walking (huffing, puffing) ambassador for that.

The good news is that I think national (US) awareness of the problem has improved.  The bad news is that I think the crisis is spreading to other countries.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Feeling the growl again

traveling to Europe for the first time a few years ago was a realeye opener.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yes, I think there is a trend of accepting people as they are - thin or obese. I think it's probably because we are becoming a more tolerant society generally, so when we see a skinny or obese person, we're less likely to judge unless it's way beyond "normal".

^ I think mostly this.

Speaking on behalf of men, if I may make some sweeping generalizations, I don't think what is considered attractive in a woman has changed all that much. Men were never attracted to the waif (aka the 15-yo boy) look when that was fashionable; men are not now suddenly more attracted to overweight women, although there is certainly more of that on the market. It may be said men prefer "curves", but that is true only in the sense of a typical feminine figure, not in the sense that it seems to now be used, as a euphemism for overweight. If anything, what has changed is that a more athletic build is considered more attractive that it once was. As much as there has been an increase in obesity, I think there has also been an increase on the other end of the spectrum (as evidenced for example by increased race participation), which is certainly heavily used in advertising. I must say one of the nice things about going to races is that is one of the few places you can see a large crowd of people generally in very good shape. (Not that any of us go to leer of course, but how can one not notice.)

BMI is dumb.

This too, I hope. I am yet another 5'10" datapoint, but I am 170, giving me a BMI of 24.5, or nearly overweight. WTF? I don't know what kind of morph I am, but I was 160 when I graduated HS 30 years ago. I am not in any way muscley, but probably have a fairly low BF%, and I don't really see that I have that much I could possibly lose.

Dave

Julia1971

And this body type is still the ideal in the African American community. It's why eating disorders have been so rare for AA girls/women.

Now, as far as health, I know heart disease is a big problem in the AA community. How much is related to weight vs. other factors I don't know.

I don't think so...   Think 50-60 years ago...Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Jane Mansfield...all heartthrobs of their day...all had curvy, hour-glass figures...not a waif amongst them.

Daydreamer1

I don't think so...   Think 50-60 years ago...Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Jane Mansfield...all heartthrobs of their day...all had curvy, hour-glass figures...not a waif amongst them.

Lately I'm seeing a lot of people posting pictures on FB of models and celebrities from longer ago.  It's very true that they carried more weight then the models and celebrities of today. However the people posting those pictures do not look anything at all like those ladies did either. All of them are extremely obese and would have to drop large amounts of weight to look anywhere near like those women did. It's just a way for the fat people to try to feel good about themselves and shows how badly their sense of reality is skewed.

If you look at pictures in the 40s thru early 80s you will see that most people, women with numerous children included, were much lighter back then. Society is definitely changing in regards to this and it's not  good from many viewpoints.

It is very disgusting and sad to see how fat our society is getting and how proud so many people are of their fat.

Based on my BMI (26.1) and my self administered mirror test I am slightly overweight, yet I routinely get comments about how I'm too skinny. Fat coworkers will tell me that they need to keep up their weight so they feel strong enough to do their job but then call me for help when they can't do it and need help. Very Frustrating.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Do any men out there think the Williams sisters are hot?

They are curvy.  And they are ripped.  And it is my bet that they are "overweight" on the BMI scale.

Toned, muscled, limited fat.  They are in shape.  Yes, they may be physical specimens than most people can not attain due to preferred genetics, but, you don't have to be fat to be curvy.  And you don't have to be a waif to be "hot".  Regardless of what you see in magazines.

But, I also suspect (if I can be obnoxiously elitest for the moment) that the average person who posts in runningahead, thinks a little bit more before they make judgement.

So, we may not be so quick to judge either people who are a little overweight, or underweight.  But a lot of people out there do.  And that's unfortunate.

That does not, however, excuse those people for being that way.  It is very easy to get into a bad pattern which leads to a downward spiral to obesity.  And a lot of stuff out there supports it.

But, people can, and do rise above that, and do "the right" thing.  in my opinion, of course.  :-)

Jeff

Chantilly75

Clothing sizes have changed since the 1960's-1970's. Back then, a 36" bust would be a size 14 blouse and a 34" bust a size 12 blouse.

Only very flat-chested girls could wear a size 10.

Size 7 and 9 clothing came to our city around 1972.  Those dresses were tiny.

I wore a 12/14 in high school, and now I wear a 0.  My weight is 14 lbs. less than it was then.

Look at old dance party shows from the 1960's and 1970's, like Soul Train and American Bandstand and see how thin everyone was compared to today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Julia1971

How would Barbie look if she knew how to color coordinate an outfit? (I know. I watch too much What Not to Wear).

How Barbie would look if she were "normal".

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Bingo! Also, what I hate about those pictures and sayings is that they're essentially coming from a person/community of persons who is looking for acceptance "as they are" and to not be shamed, yet in the process, they're shaming and putting down people who are not like they are. It's hypocritical. Sorry, I'll take my slim build over a muffin top any day.

Yes!  It is the hypocrisy of it that bothers me.  I am totally willing to accept a larger body size without judgement.  I think it is much, much harder to maintain a "healthy" weight now than it ever was in the past due to how the food manufacturers have manipulated the processed foods, and how consumers are bombarded with advertising.  But if I can give a heavier person a pass, they should be equally willing to accept me for who I am without needing to put me down.  I am completely open to the possibility that my body type is atypical.  I can see my collar bones and the veins in my arms, and some people may think that is gross.  But I can also haul 80 lb sacks of cement.  Last weekend I picked up 23 of those bad boys and mixed them all by hand for a building project my husband is doing.  I can go run 16 miles and then mow lawn with a push mower for three hours.  I judge my health by what I am capable of, not what the scale says.

Thanks for all these well thought out replies.  I was a little worried about posting this topic, I was not sure how it would be received and I did not want to offend anyone.

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How would Barbie look if she knew how to color coordinate an outfit? (I know. I watch too much What Not to Wear).

We recently pulled out a long-stored box of our daughters' Barbies.  Looking them over, that was one hell of a party.  Most of the ladies were mostly undressed, and Ken had his arm in a sling and was wearing a grass skirt.

Mysecondnewname

How Barbie would look if she were "normal".

In the interest of balance, IMHO, I do think there is clearly an issue with body image in today's culture, which is harmful to many, regardless of what edge of the size spectrum they are closest to.  Holding up an impossible "ideal" to women (and men) isn't optimal, especially when one's self-worth hinges on appearance, or the numbers on a scale.

I think it was SJP, who pointed out that fit actors and models get paid to work out and eat right to look a certain way.  Couple that with the financial ability to hire a personal chef and trainers, and the actors may set a bar that is unreasonable to attain for a lot of folks.

Again, not making excuses for the heavy, but many of you know how tough it is to work 50 plus hour weeks (whether in or out of the home) and still make time to cook right and run 50 plus mpw.  If we all got paid to be in shape (and that's pretty much all we did), I would think it would be a lot easier than it is for most of us.

Perhaps, it's best just to focus on being as healthy as possible for one's own circumstance.

Julia1971

As far as the FB posts, I'm not sure the context of someone posting that but I don't think that first person was insulting skinny people.  Maybe I'm being charitable and s/he probably needs to be told FB is for pictures of kittens napping in teacups but from my reading s/he's talking about their own body. I have a weight under which I think I look pretty emaciated. That doesn't mean I think everyone under that weight looks emaciated. Something to consider before you unfriend this person. Smile The later posts do sound rude, though.

Yes!  It is the hypocrisy of it that bothers me.  I am totally willing to accept a larger body size without judgement.  I think it is much, much harder to maintain a "healthy" weight now than it ever was in the past due to how the food manufacturers have manipulated the processed foods, and how consumers are bombarded with advertising.  But if I can give a heavier person a pass, they should be equally willing to accept me for who I am without needing to put me down.  I am completely open to the possibility that my body type is atypical.  I can see my collar bones and the veins in my arms, and some people may think that is gross.  But I can also haul 80 lb sacks of cement.  Last weekend I picked up 23 of those bad boys and mixed them all by hand for a building project my husband is doing.  I can go run 16 miles and then mow lawn with a push mower for three hours.  I judge my health by what I am capable of, not what the scale says.

Thanks for all these well thought out replies.  I was a little worried about posting this topic, I was not sure how it would be received and I did not want to offend anyone.

Julia1971

Were all the Barbie's intact?  There was a study a while ago about Barbie mutilation.  Poor girl.

We recently pulled out a long-stored box of our daughters' Barbies.  Looking them over, that was one hell of a party.  Most of the ladies were mostly undressed, and Ken had his arm in a sling and was wearing a grass skirt.