2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey guys - I honestly thought at mile 18 the MM was in the bag, and then my stomach got to me. It's always my number 1 issue in races. This time, it finally did me in. My legs definitely started to go a little around that time too, but the stomach was the number 1 limiting factor I still rallied for a 2:40, but definitely not the result I expected. Annoyed but not too bummed out. Who knows what the travel did.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

need2tri

Congrats JMac. Hope you figure out how to calm your stomach. MM at cheater course CIM 2022!

Hey guys - I honestly thought at mile 18 the MM was in the bag, and then my stomach got to me. It's always my number 1 issue in races. This time, it finally did me in. My legs definitely started to go a little around that time too, but the stomach was the number 1 limiting factor I still rallied for a 2:40, but definitely not the result I expected. Annoyed but not too bummed out. Who knows what the travel did.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

You may not agree but given the drama, you should be proud of that effort. Considering the tough late miles, you kept it together nicely.

The beers should help your stomach.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Congrats on your race, and I'm sorry your stomach pulled the rug out from under you.

I will confess that I also suspect the travel amplified any issues you might have had.  I think we all have our own ways in which our body throws in the towel, and any stress you have expresses itself that way.

Safe travels home

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Damn I’m gutted that you didn’t get the MM as it was looking promising…but you still ran a fantastic race given all the travelling fuckery you had to endure.

Go for the sub2:35 at NYC which will be sweeter as it’s not the easiest course, but you know and race it well…plus it’s your hometown. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mmerkle

A 2:40 is still a nice time to get after all that BS (which I just caught up on). Nicely done.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah I'm pretty gutted too. Coming through the half in 1:17:19 and feeling way better than I did at CIM at that point, I really thought it was a given. I was battling stitches since mile 8. I seemed to get that under relative control. My legs started to get a bit tired around mile 20, but then the stomach started to turn. I stopped to walk for a bit (which I've never done before) and almost vomited right there. My legs were okay though so I figured I'd light jog until it got under control. It did eventually, but lemon drop hill did it in again and I had to walk more. I thought about just walking or light jogging it in, but I knew my legs were relatively fine and did run a pretty good final 2 miles. That effort in the last 2 miles does make me proud. Not a fan of participation trophies when you've missed all your goals, but all of you who have gone through something similar in a marathon know how hard it is to get the legs going again post mile 23, so I'll at least take that away as a positive.

I just woke up from a nap and I have that weird feeling of being very hungry, but the thought of eating anything is making me nauseous. I'll have to get something down though. Usually the go to is carbs when I feel bad but that would definitely make me sick!

The only other thing is I was very thirsty at the finish. It was a catch 22 - I had to stop taking water every station because of my side stitch and it would have ruined my race earlier, but it probably added to my woes later.

No excuses though - it was nearly A+ weather. I'll take the DW route here though and not try to process any plans for at least a few days.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Well done Jack, you will be pissed off for a few days but hopefully soon you realize just how tremendous that run was.

Very well done! 👏👏👏💪💪💪

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Jmac - Excellent race. 2:40 is blazing fast!

JMac: A great performance all things considered! All the travel BS definitely added stress, and that never helps anything. You'll get the MM next time.

In the meantime I want you consuming Taco Bell regularly; that will toughen up your stomach better than anything (speaking from experience as a longtime Bell eater and owner of an iron stomach ).

2:52:16 (2018)

Wow Jmac way to push through that misery. I saw the 5 min plus km in there but you did rally back..

Hope you feel better soon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Beer.

Yeah I'm pretty gutted too. Coming through the half in 1:17:19 and feeling way better than I did at CIM at that point, I really thought it was a given. I was battling stitches since mile 8. I seemed to get that under relative control. My legs started to get a bit tired around mile 20, but then the stomach started to turn. I stopped to walk for a bit (which I've never done before) and almost vomited right there. My legs were okay though so I figured I'd light jog until it got under control. It did eventually, but lemon drop hill did it in again and I had to walk more. I thought about just walking or light jogging it in, but I knew my legs were relatively fine and did run a pretty good final 2 miles. That effort in the last 2 miles does make me proud. Not a fan of participation trophies when you've missed all your goals, but all of you who have gone through something similar in a marathon know how hard it is to get the legs going again post mile 23, so I'll at least take that away as a positive.

I just woke up from a nap and I have that weird feeling of being very hungry, but the thought of eating anything is making me nauseous. I'll have to get something down though. Usually the go to is carbs when I feel bad but that would definitely make me sick!

The only other thing is I was very thirsty at the finish. It was a catch 22 - I had to stop taking water every station because of my side stitch and it would have ruined my race earlier, but it probably added to my woes later.

No excuses though - it was nearly A+ weather. I'll take the DW route here though and not try to process any plans for at least a few days.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Beer.

Remember, the poor guy still has to drive back to NYC from Philadelphia....

BTW, looks like DLS had a nice evenly paced race.  I'll let him check in with the details if he wants.

As for Taco Bell, I can totally see training with Taco Bell and then swapping to Chipotle for the race -  very similar to training in Zoom Flies and swapping to Vaporflies for the race.

My week:

My week:

53 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and 1500 ~yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running and yoga.
                            T: 10 miles, including 4x800 in 3:31, 3:31, 3:29, 3:27, with recoveries between 2:23 and 2:39. Then jogged over to a 6% hill and did 6 hill repeats, each lasting 60 seconds, with two sets of easy effort, moderate effort, hard effort.
                            Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                            W: 9 miles (10:10), drills/strides, and streaming yoga.
                            Th: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                            F: 11 miles, including a mixed workout of 3x10 seconds hard on a 6% hill, then 2K, 1K on the track with 3:00 jog (splits 9:02, 4:23), jogged back to hill for 6 hill repeats, each lasting 60 seconds, with two sets of easy effort, moderate effort, hard effort, before returning to track for 1K in 4:25. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                            Sa: 8.5 miles (10:10), drills/strides, and upper body weights/core.
                            Su: 14 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 10:24, next 4 miles averaging 8:57 pace, and next 5 miles averaging 8:11 pace, before a half mile jog. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 meters recovery swimming.

This week I started adding in blended hill/track workouts.  The idea is that doing the hills recruits fast-twitch muscle fibers that you don't normally use on the flat.  Then when you move back to the track, you continue to use those fibers, and train them to work for you aerobically.  I can tell you that it is surprisingly hard and awkward to move back from hard running on the hill to hard flat running.  My legs felt it for several days after.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mmerkle

Remember, the poor guy still has to drive back to NYC from Philadelphia....

BTW, looks like DLS had a nice evenly paced race.  I'll let him check in with the details if he wants.

As for Taco Bell, I can totally see training with Taco Bell and then swapping to Chipotle for the race -  very similar to training in Zoom Flies and swapping to Vaporflies for the race.

My week:

My week:

53 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and 1500 ~yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running and yoga.
                              T: 10 miles, including 4x800 in 3:31, 3:31, 3:29, 3:27, with recoveries between 2:23 and 2:39. Then jogged over to a 6% hill and did 6 hill repeats, each lasting 60 seconds, with two sets of easy effort, moderate effort, hard effort.
                              Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                              W: 9 miles (10:10), drills/strides, and streaming yoga.
                              Th: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                              F: 11 miles, including a mixed workout of 3x10 seconds hard on a 6% hill, then 2K, 1K on the track with 3:00 jog (splits 9:02, 4:23), jogged back to hill for 6 hill repeats, each lasting 60 seconds, with two sets of easy effort, moderate effort, hard effort, before returning to track for 1K in 4:25. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                              Sa: 8.5 miles (10:10), drills/strides, and upper body weights/core.
                              Su: 14 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 10:24, next 4 miles averaging 8:57 pace, and next 5 miles averaging 8:11 pace, before a half mile jog. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 meters recovery swimming.

This week I started adding in blended hill/track workouts.  The idea is that doing the hills recruits fast-twitch muscle fibers that you don't normally use on the flat.  Then when you move back to the track, you continue to use those fibers, and train them to work for you aerobically.  I can tell you that it is surprisingly hard and awkward to move back from hard running on the hill to hard flat running.  My legs felt it for several days after.

What kind of rest do you take between running and leg strength work? I've been playing around with this. If possible I prefer a couple hours but I'm not sure how necessary that is?

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Well done again on gutsing out your gut issues and recording a really solid time.  RP is right - beer.

me - Pretty solid week obviously dominated by the workout yesterday.  I went out in the dark, cold and rain for 4km easy beforehand, designed to add some fatigue into my legs for running close to marathon pace for 21.1km.  I stopped at the apartment and changed into a second set of running clothes and walked over to the stadium, thankfully the rain had eased a bit but started to pick up just as I arrived so I jogged to the concourse and kept dry until they called us to the start 10 minutes pre-race.  5 minutes before the start the wind picked up and it started bucketing down - brutally cold and wet.  The organisers had some local fitness guy running a warm up but everyone at the start was saying let's just start rather than stand here getting wet...we waited until 8:45am and were off.  I can't remember any more rain until the last 2km so it turned out okay.  The first half had a lot of very strong headwinds - I noticed an older guy snaking after someone in front of me, blatantly using his slipstream without stepping up to do any work.  He fell back and started to do the same to me...I wasn't racing obviously but thought it was pretty rude.  He fell back quite quickly though.  My splits were pretty consistent for the first 17km from 4:35 - 40/km.  With about 4km to go I pulled up next to a girl who was fading and asked how she was going.  She said she was on target for a PB but was questioning if she'd get to the finish.  I told her to stay with me and let her draught pretty much all the way to the finish - I lost her somewhere in the last km but by then she had the PB in the bag.  It was also enjoyable to step up the pace a bit since I was feeling great.  Overall a great experience that I'd highly recommend to break up the usual training.

Weekly for period: From: 06/13/2022 To 06/19/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in ft
                                06/13 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:28 10:12 06:18 0
                                06/13 Easy pace 8.74 14.07 01:12:16 08:16 05:08 39
                                06/13 Strides 0.75 1.20 00:06:11 08:15 05:09 0
                                06/15 Warm up 0.33 0.54 00:03:12 09:42 05:56 0
                                06/15 15km incl. 3 x (4 x (400m @ 3:55/km, 1 min recovery) + 400m easy) 9.34 15.04 01:10:24 07:32 04:41 39
                                06/16 Recovery 5.54 8.91 00:48:27 08:45 05:26 36
                                06/17 Warm up 0.34 0.54 00:03:05 09:04 05:43 0
                                06/17 Easy pace 7.50 12.07 01:01:12 08:10 05:04 36
                                06/17 Strides 0.74 1.19 00:05:33 07:30 04:40 0
                                06/18 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:10 09:19 05:45 0
                                06/18 Easy 30 3.75 6.03 00:30:31 08:08 05:04 20
                                06/19 Warm up 0.32 0.52 00:03:15 10:09 06:15 16
                                06/19 Easy pace in Thorndon 2.52 4.06 00:20:58 08:19 05:10 85
                                06/19 Wellington Half Marathon - Marathon tempo training (with a fast finish) 13.24 21.31 01:36:56 07:19 04:33 52
                                06/19 Recovery 2.16 3.48 00:19:53 09:12 05:43 121

Total distance: 55.97mi

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024