Sub 40 mins 10K (2012) (Read 1519 times)

Ok this is my real goal for the next couple of months. I've signed up for the sub 20 min 5k and the sub 90 mins half marathon but I think that the sub 40 mins 10k is my real target.

I've had one effort this year on a multi terrain course on a windy day (42.08) so I think 40 mins is achievable... Ideally I'd like to get all 3 targets but a good 10k time is the one I'm focusing on !

Next attempt is the 22nd July unless I can find a good 10k in Ireland before that date...

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

Ok this is my real goal for the next couple of months. I've signed up for the sub 20 min 5k and the sub 90 mins half marathon but I think that the sub 40 mins 10k is my real target.

Good luck!

The 10k is toughest goal of the three, based on what the age-grading calculator spits out for me:

1. sub-20 5k -- age-graded = 73.22%
      2. sub-90 HM -- age-graded = 73.78%
      3. sub-40 10k -- age-graded = 76.16%

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DanMoriarity

Based on your recent training, I think sub-40 is doable if you can get your mileage up a bit and add maybe one day per week of long intervals (say 800m to 1 mile reps) at your current 10k pace or a bit faster. You'll also probably need sub 19 minute 5k speed to do so. It'll be challenging, but with a couple of months of solid, consistent training, I think you can do it. Good luck and keep us informed.

Good luck!

The 10k is toughest goal of the three, based on what the age-grading calculator spits out for me:

1. sub-20 5k -- age-graded = 73.22%
          2. sub-90 HM -- age-graded = 73.78%
          3. sub-40 10k -- age-graded = 76.16%

Yeah, in the last 12 months I've run 1:29:01 for the HM, 19:34 for the 5k; but only 41:03 for the 10km.  They're probably not exactly comparable in that I didn't run a 10km at the point when I was in my best shape, but still - that 10km is tougher than the other two.

The usual race predictors give 40 min 10km as being worth ~19:15 5km and ~1:28 HM.

Yeah, in the last 12 months I've run 1:29:01 for the HM, 19:34 for the 5k; but only 41:03 for the 10km.  They're probably not exactly comparable in that I didn't run a 10km at the point when I was in my best shape, but still - that 10km is tougher than the other two.

The usual race predictors give 40 min 10km as being worth ~19:15 5km and ~1:28 HM.

Yeah I've been told that a sub 40 mins 10k is equal to a 1:28 HM but I find that baffling... I reckon I will hit sub 40 for the 10k a long long time before I break 90 mins for the HM

My next race is a 5 miler on the 30th June so hoping for a good time there - that will tell me a lot...

I suppose for the 5km sub 19 mins is my real target as I get pretty close to 20 mins on a good tempo run (20:52 last time out in the middle of a 7.5k tempo)

Really excited as I've 4 months good training under my belt and the body is in good shape for the first time in a while. Between July - Sept I will run all of the distances so here's hoping for a great summer/autumns racing !

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Yeah I've been told that a sub 40 mins 10k is equal to a 1:28 HM but I find that baffling... 

The race predictors are based on training for the race in question.  To achieve this you need to have the right combination of endurance and speed training.  Many people tend to focus more on one than the other based on their preferred distance/training style.  

Based on a quick glance at your log I would recommend a few tweaks to your training to get <40 faster:  

• Slow down your easy runs.  Many are at or below 8 pace which seems a little fast for where you are at.  You may get better quality recovery doing this.
              • Mix in some shorter intervals 400-800 @ 5K pace
              • Keep up the weekly mileage of at least 35-40 miles

The race predictors are based on training for the race in question.  To achieve this you need to have the right combination of endurance and speed training.  Many people tend to focus more on one than the other based on their preferred distance/training style.  

Based on a quick glance at your log I would recommend a few tweaks to your training to get <40 faster:  

• Slow down your easy runs.  Many are at or below 8 pace which seems a little fast for where you are at.  You may get better quality recovery doing this.
                • Mix in some shorter intervals 400-800 @ 5K pace
                • Keep up the weekly mileage of at least 35-40 miles

Yeah I'm looking to do some sessions at faster than race pace so will probably introduce 1km intervals

The mileage is where I've always suffered but I'm consistently over 100 miles a month now which is a big improvement for me - hopefully will start to see the benefit of that base in the lomnger races soon

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km