I made the headlines (and didn't commit a crime!) (Read 393 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Front page of the SNAP

And it's kind of a weird headline, too. 

Anyway, I'm running 50 miles on my 50th birthday to set 50 women free from trafficking. Never would have been doing this if I hadn't started running 8 years ago, and Running Ahead has been a HUGE part of my journey. I'm grateful.

www.50for50.info if you're curious to learn more.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Good for you man, that's awesome. How do you get the 50 women figure? how do you know it isn't 4, 5, 15 women?  Even one is effing awesome.

This is a great cause; congrats on the write-up.
        I'm really curious after visiting your website, though, how you come up with the $1K/person figure to free a victim of trafficking. How exactly does that work?

BeeRunB

How exactly will you free women from sex traffickers with donated money? Do you go to a trafficker and buy the woman from him? I couldn't find the answer on your website.

How exactly will you free women from sex traffickers with donated money? Do you go to a trafficker and buy the woman from him? I couldn't find the answer on your website.

Exactly what I was wondering!

theyapper

On the road again...

Man, I am glad you asked the "how did you come up with that figure" question. I went back to the website and looked, couldn't find it and thought I was going nuts because I knew that I'd put it there.

Turns out, I had put it on the crowdsourcing website that is set up for donations.  Here's the info from there. I got it by researching on sites like Polaris and through phone conversations with the organizations I'm running for (and I'm off to get it added to the main site right now):

After doing some research, I found out that a life is apparently worth 90 bucks. Yep. $90 is all it takes for a pimp to buy a girl and put her into an industry that will then allow him to make over $125,000 a year off of that one girl. 

Ideally, if we could just raise $4,500, someone could go onto the streets of Charlotte, or Atlanta, or New Delhi, and buy girls off the trading block and send them home.

If only it were that easy. Pimps may think the girls are only worth $90, but the reality is that agencies like Justice Ministries in Concord, North Carolina, the A21 Campaign in Costa Mesa, California, and Redemption House in Delhi, India, all face much higher costs in order to rescue and rehabilitate these women trapped in slavery.

After talking with each agency, it seems that the real-dollar cost is around $120-140 per month in order to provide the basic needs of the women they rescue.

In order to keep the math simple and the 50 theme intact, I've settled on the round number of $1,000 for the freedom of one slave.

I'll run the 50 miles on my 50th birthday.

I'm asking you to help me raise the $50,000 that will be sent equally to each of the 3 agencies mentioned above.

Paul

So you are donating 100% of the funds you raise to these 3 ministries?  Or one of them?

theyapper

On the road again...

Whatever we raise will be split equally among these 3 ministries.

So you are donating 100% of the funds you raise to these 3 ministries?  Or one of them?

Paul

AnneCA

Seems like a great cause - kudos on the work you're doing.

theyapper

On the road again...

Just to close the loop on this whole story, I did it. Here's the story on the news if you're interested.

Over $29k has been raised so far. Crazy to see it all come together the way it has.

Paul

Intentionally Blank

Pretty cool, man.

BeeRunB

Man, I am glad you asked the "how did you come up with that figure" question. I went back to the website and looked, couldn't find it and thought I was going nuts because I knew that I'd put it there.

Turns out, I had put it on the crowdsourcing website that is set up for donations.  Here's the info from there. I got it by researching on sites like Polaris and through phone conversations with the organizations I'm running for (and I'm off to get it added to the main site right now):

After doing some research, I found out that a life is apparently worth 90 bucks. Yep. $90 is all it takes for a pimp to buy a girl and put her into an industry that will then allow him to make over $125,000 a year off of that one girl. 

Ideally, if we could just raise $4,500, someone could go onto the streets of Charlotte, or Atlanta, or New Delhi, and buy girls off the trading block and send them home.

If only it were that easy. Pimps may think the girls are only worth $90, but the reality is that agencies like Justice Ministries in Concord, North Carolina, the A21 Campaign in Costa Mesa, California, and Redemption House in Delhi, India, all face much higher costs in order to rescue and rehabilitate these women trapped in slavery.

After talking with each agency, it seems that the real-dollar cost is around $120-140 per month in order to provide the basic needs of the women they rescue.

In order to keep the math simple and the 50 theme intact, I've settled on the round number of $1,000 for the freedom of one slave.

I'll run the 50 miles on my 50th birthday.

I'm asking you to help me raise the $50,000 that will be sent equally to each of the 3 agencies mentioned above.

Still curious who I would be donating to, you personally, or a rescue organization? If you personally, do you plan to go buy up these women yourself? What's your plan with the money exactly? Can't seem to find out where my donation is going, and just exactly how it's going to be used. And what's the legality of anyone going to a trading block and buying a woman, whether it's to rescue them or not? If you know where a trading block is, shouldn't you tell the police and get them involved and have them rescue the women?

On the surface, this sounds like an awesome cause and effort, but every time I read/see something like this, my 'spidey fraud senses' activate.  It wasn't that long ago, someone on RA/RWOL took time to write a book, sell bracelets, etc., became a 'crowd favorite' on these forums for a cause that never existed, comprised of 'characters' that never existed.  It was quite the convoluted story, and bilked people on these forums of thousands of dollars. Quite genius when you think about it.

Anyways, if you are legit, I think your cause is worthy, but as my friends on Shark Tank would say... "too many unanswered questions, I'm out".

All you have to do is Google his article headline to see it is legit. There's even a video.

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/108342697-story

Andy

On the surface, this sounds like an awesome cause and effort, but every time I read/see something like this, my 'spidey fraud senses' activate.  It wasn't that long ago, someone on RA/RWOL took time to write a book, sell bracelets, etc., became a 'crowd favorite' on these forums for a cause that never existed, comprised of 'characters' that never existed.  It was quite the convoluted story, and bilked people on these forums of thousands of dollars. Quite genius when you think about it.

Anyways, if you are legit, I think your cause is worthy, but as my friends on Shark Tank would say... "too many unanswered questions, I'm out".

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry that I can't figure out how to quote the quote you had from my earlier post, but the answer to your first question is in the last sentence. The money (which is almost 33k now) will be split between the 3 organizations I mentioned (and are also highlighted and explained on the charity website).

Still curious who I would be donating to, you personally, or a rescue organization? If you personally, do you plan to go buy up these women yourself? What's your plan with the money exactly? Can't seem to find out where my donation is going, and just exactly how it's going to be used. And what's the legality of anyone going to a trading block and buying a woman, whether it's to rescue them or not? If you know where a trading block is, shouldn't you tell the police and get them involved and have them rescue the women?

Paul