2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Marky_Mark_17

You are equal to Mikkey in insults lately. This whole latest back and forth started when I invited you to run this thread and instead of just saying no thanks, took a cheap shot at Mikkey and Cal. Nobody had sad anything "mean" to your or trolled you or anything for months. But you continue to play this card that you're just in here to defend yourself and all you want is a decent discussion. No, you want to play in the muck too.

I had a dig at Mikkey, certainly not at Cal, but I certainly didn’t call anyone a “fucking dick” like Mikkey did. I’m not anywhere near Mikkey in terms of unwarranted insults but maybe you’re blind to that because he’s your mate. Again, pretty rich of you to be lecturing anyone on moral high ground.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

Holy shit Krash, that's wild. Teach me your ways lol. But I mean seriously how are you recovering between these bouts? Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong, I'm practically STILL recovering from my marathon on 11/26.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Hmm, I agree that Park Run isn’t a ‘race’ as such, but I’m considering it to be a race next weekend since I’ve never done a 5km race. The one I’m doing only has about 5 or so sub 20 out of 90 odd people. I want to do that one instead of Hagley which usually has sub 16s but always measures 4.9km on Strava. I really want to avoid that issue…

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Hmm, I agree that Park Run isn’t a ‘race’ as such, but I’m considering it to be a race next weekend since I’ve never done a 5km race. The one I’m doing only has about 5 or so sub 20 out of 90 odd people. I want to do that one instead of Hagley which usually has sub 16s but always measures 4.9km on Strava. I really want to avoid that issue…

Like I say, a lot of folks do use it as a TT.  I just never really thought of it as a race given how it's pitched and the fact it's free.  Incidentally does that mean you're gunning for a PB on the last day of the year?  That would be quite cool.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I had a dig at Mikkey, certainly not at Cal, but I certainly didn’t call anyone a “fucking dick” like Mikkey did. I’m not anywhere near Mikkey in terms of unwarranted insults but maybe you’re blind to that because he’s your mate. Again, pretty rich of you to be lecturing anyone on moral high ground.

See below, you did take a dig at Cal who isn't even around anymore! And again you keep misreading my posts that I'm saying anything about myself being better than you. I'm saying you continue to act above the trolling and insults when you do the same thing, unprovoked, even if you believe it's a lesser degree (the dog post brings that into question)

You continue to say this merged thread is a failure, you continue to post in the other thread about how much better that thread is than this one, and you call this the marathon thread but don't plan on running one. You used to say you only popped in here to defend yourself, and I will give you that. But that's not the case anymore. I'm frankly not sure why you do post here then unless you actually do enjoy this.

If I was in charge, the best case outcome is that Mikkey disappears in a sulk and sets up his own thread of moose mug pictures and assorted nonsense, which could mean Cal posts here less regularly too, since he seems to thrive off banter with Mikkey.  Worst case, others decide to go too given that I seem to polarise a few people around here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

1. Sorry but how is saying Cal enjoys banter with Mikkey an insult?

2. Are you now suggesting there is a clear line between jokes, "edgy" and insults and if so can you please explain where it is?

3. I said this was the de-facto marathon thread, not the actual marathon thread.

4. Are you done with your little rant or are we going to go around in circles for a few more pages?

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Like I say, a lot of folks do use it as a TT.  I just never really thought of it as a race given how it's pitched and the fact it's free.  Incidentally does that mean you're gunning for a PB on the last day of the year?  That would be quite cool.

Yep, a NYE PB attempt. Although the main reason is to get a baseline heart rate for the coach to tweak my zones, but I’m excited about putting the racing shoes on. Incidentally, he strongly encouraged me to get the Endorphin Pro 3 for the marathon and use the 2 for shorter distances. I’ve got the 3 now and it does feel like a step up but that’s only based on one stride out to make sure I had the right size.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

are we going to go around in circles for a few more pages?

That's the track-racing thread.  Different conversation.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

That's the track-racing thread.  Different conversation.

Ok you win 

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

4. Are you done with your little rant or are we going to go around in circles for a few more pages?

Lol you know that's because you always have to get the last word in right, no matter what the little spat is about?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Would you - or anyone else, for that matter - would you please be so kind to give an example of my insulting other people? I seem to have forgotten ...

JMac - since I didn't hear from you, do I get acquitted now?

DW - I love track racing. This - not. But I have a hard time letting JMac think that he is right (or even worse, making him think I admit being wrong because I don't bite). Maybe I should just let it go and make a comeback later ...

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Marky_Mark_17

Lol you know that's because you always have to get the last word in right, no matter what the little spat is about?

It’s ironic that you’re trying to get the last word in by accusing someone else of trying to get the last word in.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ah you fell for it Mark! I never get the last word in because you always do. I was trying to do it for the first time ever. Maybe next time. Or maybe this time if you don't respond to this!

Josh do you really want me to go back and post the last thing you did, which was something about vaccines after you were silent for months? Those are your last two posts: one about Mikkey being impolite Brit, and one about vaccines. I think there was another one before that where you got involved in one of our stupid spats. But I haven't seen more than those few posts where you genuinely tried to join the thread and post about running.

Frankly, I don't really care about going back now: my point more is either participate in this thread, or just stay out of our nonsense (e.g., the above between me and Mark). Frankly, you can see everyone wants you to post here. If you want help at the half marathon or marathon distance, and are okay with people looking at your training and tearing it apart, then you're going to succeed here. So how about we forget about that, you officially join the thread Jan 1, and we all help you reach your 2023 goal? If you want just words of encouragement, I'd recommend the Waltons thread. And that's a serious recommendation, not a jab at them. A good example is if you post some training that doesn't make sense. Here, we will immediately say "Josh your training run doesn't make any sense." There, they will say "great week" and will keep things positive. Different strokes for different folks.

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Josh do you really want me to go back and post the last thing you did, which was something about vaccines after you were silent for months? Those are your last two posts: one about Mikkey being impolite Brit, and one about vaccines. I think there was another one before that where you got involved in one of our stupid spats. But I haven't seen more than those few posts where you genuinely tried to join the thread and post about running.

Frankly, I don't really care about going back now: my point more is either participate in this thread, or just stay out of our nonsense (e.g., the above between me and Mark). Frankly, you can see everyone wants you to post here. If you want help at the half marathon or marathon distance, and are okay with people looking at your training and tearing it apart, then you're going to succeed here. So how about we forget about that, you officially join the thread Jan 1, and we all help you reach your 2023 goal? If you want just words of encouragement, I'd recommend the Waltons thread. And that's a serious recommendation, not a jab at them. A good example is if you post some training that doesn't make sense. Here, we will immediately say "Josh your training run doesn't make any sense." There, they will say "great week" and will keep things positive. Different strokes for different folks.

See, no insulting people. Case closed.

"So how about ..." - agreed. Although I guess it will be more about 2024, because my signature is still up to date -> "Get rid of multiple injuries".

As for choosing a thread - why not get the best of both worlds?

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As for choosing a thread - why not get the best of both worlds?

As in join both? I would advise against that unless you have a lot of time on your hands. There are a lot of people in both threads (and I think they're turning the Waltons potentially into a joint thread with the beginner thread). You can post in both, but you can't keep up with everyone's training, which frankly I think is half the benefit when you first start. I learned SO much following other people's training when I first started. The biggest of which was just how dedicated these people were to training regardless of the season, weather, or outside influences. I was running probably 25 MPW at the time, and I couldn't believe anyone had the time to run 50 MPW, but I saw how successful they were at doing it.

If you're going to run a marathon, I'd stick here, as nobody in the other thread really runs one. If it's half marathon, pick your poison