Dumb song lyrics (Read 793 times)

"She comes in colors everywhere....she combs her hair." Okay, I love the Stones, but a second grader could've done better. "She combs her hair"?!? So, which songs/lines bug you?

"someone left the cake out in the rain. I don't think that I can take it because it took to long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again.... again..."

My wife thinks I'm just making it up.

And I was like
        Baby, baby, baby ooh
        Baby, baby, baby noo
        Baby, baby, baby ohh
        I thought you'd always be mine, mine

Dead

xor

The whole series of "fake profound" Bruce Springsteen lyrics.  You hear them and they don't make a ton of sense but sound DEEP.  So they must be DEEP.  But then you think about them for awhile and... nope.  They are just kind of gibberish.

Blinded By The Light *IS* gibberish but doesn't count because it doesn't seem profound.

Most 'art rock' things from the early and mid 70s.  Yes lyrics are a bunch of hooey.  Also, the dude's accent got in the way sometimes.  "Don't surround yourself with yourself, move on back..."  quick, what's the next bit?  Are you moving back two squares?  Or to Squares?  And WTF is Squares???

Some Rush lyrics are just silly.  "There is unrest in the forest; there is trouble with the trees.  For the maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas."  Yeah, I get it.  But.  Jeeeeeeez.

Come on--not Rush!
            xor

Come on--not Rush!

There's also that damn bald song.  It's actually a nice song, and I like the message... but some of the lyrics themselves?  Twerpy.  The whole vanity fair bit....

"I Think I'm Going Bald"

I looked in the mirror today
              My eyes just didn't seem so bright
              I've lost a few more hairs
              I think I'm going bald

I think I'm going bald

Seems like only yesterday
              We would sit and talk of dreams all night
              Dreams of youth
              And simple truths
              Now we're so involved
              So involved with life

Walk down vanity fair
              Memory lane everywhere
              Wall Street shuffles there
              Dressed in flowing hair

Once we loved the flowers
              Now we ask the price of the land
              Once we would take water
              But now it must be wine
              Now we've been
              And now we've seen
              What price peace of mind

Take a piece of my mind

My life is slipping away
              I'm aging every day
              But even when I'm grey
              I'll still be grey my way

Okay, I'll give you that one. And considering it came out mid-seventies, they weren't going bald. In fact, they would've looked better if they had been bald back then.

Knowing that I was a Van Halen fan, my college roommate used to throw this at me pretty often;

I might as well jump. Jump! 
                  Go ahead and jump. 
                  Might as well jump. Jump! 
                  Go ahead, jump. Jump!

Completely ruined the song for me.

Michael

Immortal until proven otherwise.

1mi-4:59; 5k-17:13; 10k-36:48; HM-1:20:10; M-2:51:31

Knowing that I was a Van Halen fan, my college roommate used to throw this at me pretty often;

I might as well jump. Jump! 
                    Go ahead and jump. 
                    Might as well jump. Jump! 
                    Go ahead, jump. Jump!

Completely ruined the song for me.

While we're on Van Halen, how about this line from "Ain't Talking Bout Love": "You know you're semi good-looking."
                    HermosaBoy

While we're on Van Halen, how about this line from "Ain't Talking Bout Love": "You know you're semi good-looking."

Which ties with the Springsteen Lyric, "You ain't a beauty, but hey your alright."

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And if a double-decker bus
                        Crashes into us
                        To die by your side
                        Is such a heavenly way to die

And if a ten ton truck
                        Kills the both of us
                        To die by your side
                        Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

"someone left the cake out in the rain. I don't think that I can take it because it took to long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again.... again..."

My wife thinks I'm just making it up.

Almost lost a keyboard over that one.

BeeRunB

The whole series of "fake profound" Bruce Springsteen lyrics.  You hear them and they don't make a ton of sense but sound DEEP.  So they must be DEEP.  But then you think about them for awhile and... nope.  They are just kind of gibberish.

Blinded By The Light *IS* gibberish but doesn't count because it doesn't seem profound.

Most 'art rock' things from the early and mid 70s.  Yes lyrics are a bunch of hooey.  Also, the dude's accent got in the way sometimes.  "Don't surround yourself with yourself, move on back..."  quick, what's the next bit?  Are you moving back two squares?  Or to Squares?  And WTF is Squares???

Some Rush lyrics are just silly.  "There is unrest in the forest; there is trouble with the trees.  For the maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas."  Yeah, I get it.  But.  Jeeeeeeez.

David Byrne of Taking HEads on lyrics:

"People ignore them half the time. In a certain way, it's the sound of the words, the inflection and the way the song is sung and the way it fits the melody and the way the syllables are on the tongue that has as much of the meaning as the actual, literal words."

In other words, lyrics are just sound paints, just like a fuzz peddle or a voicebox (Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton) are. I couldn't tell you more than a handful of Enya lyrics---she's all about the sound painting. Talking Heads' lyrics aren't in the realm of powerful, but they work very well.

Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd illustrates Byrne's point very well.

That Yes tune you refer to is a great sounding song, the lyrics have a chessboard/Through The Looking Glass motif. Thus the references to squares. Most Yes lyrics are like non-sequitor phrase all chosen from a hat, often metaphysical in nature. In that way, they don't really matter. It's like Byrne said: the lyrics sound good, but don't necessarily mean a thing. I'm a huge fan of their guitarist, Steve Howe.

Springsteen can be very moving, but I think it's more the way he sings, than it is the lyrics.

Bob Dylan is probably the most prolific lyricist there's ever been. He wrote lyrics that were powerful on a number of topics and points of views, but also some that were more in the realm of flowery paints. He himself said of certain songs that he had no idea what they meant. They just came out almost magically.

I love The Beatles, but there's one song's lyrics that I find annoying: Hello, Goodbye.

Great thread.

BeeRunB

Have no clue what these lyrics mean, and it doesn't matter, they sound so cool:

Camina Burana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSBsw

David Byrne of Taking HEads on lyrics:

"People ignore them half the time. In a certain way, it's the sound of the words, the inflection and the way the song is sung and the way it fits the melody and the way the syllables are on the tongue that has as much of the meaning as the actual, literal words."

In other words, lyrics are just sound paints, just like a fuzz peddle or a voicebox (Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton) are. I couldn't tell you more than a handful of Enya lyrics---she's all about the sound painting. Talking Heads' lyrics aren't in the realm of powerful, but they work very well.

Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd illustrates Byrne's point very well.

That Yes tune you refer to is a great sounding song, the lyrics have a chessboard/Through The Looking Glass motif. Thus the references to squares. Most Yes lyrics are like non-sequitor phrase all chosen from a hat, often metaphysical in nature. In that way, they don't really matter. It's like Byrne said: the lyrics sound good, but don't necessarily mean a thing. I'm a huge fan of their guitarist, Steve Howe.

Springsteen can be very moving, but I think it's more the way he sings, than it is the lyrics.

Bob Dylan is probably the most prolific lyricist there's ever been. He wrote lyrics that were powerful on a number of topics and points of views, but also some that were more in the realm of flowery paints. He himself said of certain songs that he had no idea what they meant. They just came out almost magically.

I love The Beatles, but there's one song's lyrics that I find annoying: Hello, Goodbye.

Great thread.

Wow--great post! And I agree 100% on Dylan.