What do you wear during the big M? (Read 906 times)

taylorjarboe

Ok, so I am getting ready to start my training for my 2nd marathon and need some input. During my first, I only ran with my I-Pod and the clothes on my back and shoes on my feet. Anyone find any use in running with small water bottels or gels? Just curious...want to make this one better than the first!!! Cool

Imminent Catastrophe

I've decided to be more self-reliant in marathons. At ING Georgia there were missing water stations and no electrolyte fluid. At other races (especially India) the "sportsdrink" was just incredibly nasty. You never know what you will get and whether it will be palatable. The one thing that you can usually count on is water.So carry your own carbs/electrolytes, whether it be gels, sportsbeans, Bloks, or fluids. Personally I've discovered that I can't stand sweet gels, beans, or bloks after a couple of hours. So I carry a water bottle with 800 calories worth of sportsdrink, it's a brand that's not so sweet (200 calories per hour is about all you can absorb). It was the first time that I had ever refueled enough and it really paid off, I still felt fine at the end and PR'ed. The most important thing is to experiment on long runs or shorter races to see what works for you.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Usually nothing or just socks. Oh, you said big M. Nothing to see here, move along.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The one thing that you can usually count on is water.So carry your own carbs/electrolytes, whether it be gels, sportsbeans, Bloks, or fluids. The most important thing is to experiment on long runs or shorter races to see what works for you.
          Ditto what he said. I bring gel flasks, mixed with a little water to help them out of the bottle a little easier. And I bring S! caps (salt tablets), since I spend over 5 hours and I sweat glow alot. Also - basic accesories = hat or visor, sunglasses, a watch or Garmin, and my Road ID
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Russ: What sportsdrink do you use? I have been thinking this exact same thing. I have been running with Gatorade for my normal runs between 8-13 miles but was thinking that anything over that I would need bloks. However, I don't really care for them they are just the best of the other stuff. Have a drink that fueled my system would be perfect. I am willing to try something different then the gatorade but I like only carrying my 22 oz bottle.
              2011 Goals:
              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
            Scout7

Personally, I don't bring anything but the clothes I'm wearing, and a gel or two. All the races I've done had water and sports drink, sometimes too many stations. I recommend the Race Ready shorts, since they have three mesh pockets in the back you can stash some stuff. Otherwise, unless you sweat an inordinate amount, I think you'd probably be ok.

Imminent Catastrophe

Russ: What sportsdrink do you use? ... I like only carrying my 22 oz bottle.
                I've been trying a couple of Hammer products that are popular with ultrarunners, Perpetuem and Sustained Energy. Perpetuem has a very mild orange/vanilla flavor and SE us unflavored so I added a pack of Hammer Heed drink mix. They're both just a little sweet and I've found that I can tolerate the flavor pretty well, even if it's pretty concentrated. The only problem is that it's sometimes hard to get it to dissolve completely so I use a blender to mix it. (NFI)

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Carl A

I haven't run a mary for about two years, but I used to safety pin the tops of Gu gels to the elastic band of my shorts. Every four miles or so, I'd rip one off and down it with course water.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I typically rely on the support of the race course for fluid needs. I bring gels (GU) with me, nothing else. If you feel compelled to carry your own fluids, e.Load is my favourite. Not sure if it is availabe in the US. It is not terribly sweet (comes in Lemon or strawberry flavour). Also, it is not as syrupy as Gatorade, especially as it gets warm. Also, I've heard good things about Accelerade, which is one of the few electrolyte replacement drinks that include protein which aids in muscle recovery. Can't vouch for it myself, however. Nowadays, it seems most races use Gatorade, or their new Endurance formula which tend to work just fine.
                      Shorts, Short-Sleeve Shirt, Bandanna, Socks and Shoes. Sunglasses. Garmin. Pace Band. Road ID. Car key. Gels (gone by mile 22). Long-Sleeve Shirt (discarded at mile 14). Gloves (discarded at mile 6). Sweatshirt, sweatpants and garbage bag (discarded at start line).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Here is one lesson learned that I feel invaluable. Wear a hat! From about 12 miles on, at each water stop i'd take one to drink and one to pour into the hat. Kept me cool and refreshed. I had one gu just before the race, I carried a pack of sport beans and one more gu. Used the sport beans at mile 8, they gave out gel at mile 17 and didn't use the gu I carried. (Probably should have at mile 22, actually forgot I had it till the end) Also, I saw a lot of people with gel's/bags of pretzels/and bags of salt packs pinned to their shorts. I found that everything I needed was provided on the course including water/hydration/salt packs/ and gel. I also carried my ID and a $20 in the super-secret pocket. (just in case...)
                        vicentefrijole

From about 12 miles on, at each water stop i'd take one to drink and one to pour into the hat.
                          I've pulled that trick... works nicely.. just make sure you keep the excess water off your shoes.... nothing makes for blisters faster than wet shoes.. . Tongue
                            I've pulled that trick... works nicely.. just make sure you keep the excess water off your shoes.... nothing makes for blisters faster than wet shoes.. . Tongue
                            You know, that is a good point! Didn't seem to be a problem. Must be because I am sooo fast, if my shoes did get wet, they air dried before allowing blisters Big grin Or maybe I was just lucky cause I'm definetly not fast.