Ultimate Direction Wasp vs. Diablo - preference? (Read 878 times)

Subject line says it all really - I'm weighing-up the Wasp against the Diablo. Neither are readily available in New Zealand stores, so I will be buying without the option of trying them on.

I like the idea of the Diablo's extra water capacity (larger bladder than the Wasp), and the external water bottle holder.

Any good reasons *not* to buy the Diablo over the Wasp?

The Thunder

How far are you going to be running, and have you looked at any of the Nathan packs?

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

You'll ruin your knees!

My first reaction is to go with the larger reservoir (can always choose to put less into it...).  I have heard great things about the Wasp, the Diablo looks like the same thing, only with a bit more capacity.

I made the leap to an Osprey hydration pack and have been thoroughly pleased with the utility of it... probably a good bit more price point, but I have really been pleasantly suprised at the capacity and how easy it is to fill an empty bladder with a loaded pack.  The hydration system is the best I have used by quite a lot. 

Osprey Hydraulics

As TT2 indicates, Nathan makes great packs as well.  I have the HPL #20 and it is probably the most comfortable hydration pack I have ever worn.  I use it (2 Liter fluid capacity) when I am going light and the Osprey when I am needing more carrying capacity (fluid and gear).  The Nathan Endurance pack looks like it would be an awesome pack if I were to replace my HPL...

Good luck,

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

How far are you going to be running, and have you looked at any of the Nathan packs?

Ultras i.e. 50km and up. Haven't looked at the Nathan products - would be interested in any thoughts comparing the two sets of products.

My first reaction is to go with the larger reservoir (can always choose to put less into it...).  I have heard great things about the Wasp, the Diablo looks like the same thing, only with a bit more capacity.

I made the leap to an Osprey hydration pack and have been thoroughly pleased with the utility of it... probably a good bit more price point, but I have really been pleasantly suprised at the capacity and how easy it is to fill an empty bladder with a loaded pack.  The hydration system is the best I have used by quite a lot. 

Osprey Hydraulics

As TT2 indicates, Nathan makes great packs as well.  I have the HPL #20 and it is probably the most comfortable hydration pack I have ever worn.  I use it (2 Liter fluid capacity) when I am going light and the Osprey when I am needing more carrying capacity (fluid and gear).  The Nathan Endurance pack looks like it would be an awesome pack if I were to replace my HPL...

Good luck,

Lynn B

Thanks Lynn. The Nathan Endurance does look very good - carrying capacity would be my only concern. Most distance trail races in New Zealand have long lists of required gear (typically waterproof jacket, spare thermal layer, hat, gloves etc) due to their alpine nature. 

Thanks for the Osprey tip as well - there's a store in my town that stocks these so I will check out their selection.

Best Present Ever

I have an Osprey I use for trail running in the mountains and love it.  I also like it as a small pack for short hikes with the kids without the hydration pack in it.  I've gotten tons of use out of it. 

Imminent Catastrophe

I like the Wasp but may check out the Diablo--I like to carry water but having a bottle of sports drink would be helpful.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016