2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I mean....if a shoe is going to get banned just go after it like the assault rifle ban in the 90s. They named specific models and features.

No vaporfly, floatride, rigid plate located within the sole of the shoe, laces measuring less than a specific distance longer than the vaporflys, wire lacing systems allowing tensions adjustment mid run, knit uppers, shoes weighing less than 7.6 ounces, total drop of greater than 8mm, amount of rubber on the sole, specific patterns of soles shown to upset the general public because it looks like the shoes everyone loves to hate etc. Make it such a large ban on racing shoes even flats are banned and people will get upset THEIR shoe is being banned because the Vaporfly is causing such a problem. Don't hate me cuz you can't beat me. Hate me because you won't spend $250 plus tax. My $100 zoom fly with flyknit upper shoes ran past plenty of high heel space shoes that look like someone spilled a highlighter on them.

With that said....the Floatride is on sale.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

cal: Haha, of course I am joking, and yes, my PR is on a net downhill course as well.  :-)

OMR

Dwave: In -22 weather, I wear a singlet and shorts.  ;-)  I have gear that will keep me warm down to around 0 if it is sunny and not windy (two layers on top - a long sleeve wool shirt or tech shirt and thermal jacket - and thermal pants on the bottom, with wind resistant underwear).  But it has been so icy here that even if it is a bit warmer, I’m not going to chance getting hit by a vehicle (you know all about that, right?) or falling (been there, done that) right now.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I’m not going to chance getting hit by a vehicle (you know all about that, right?) 

Too soon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Too soon.

Kinda like how the truck got into the crosswalk too soon? 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Too soon.

Not really.  I've been making jokes about it since about 12 hours after it happened. :P  And it gave me a fantastic opportunity to do a comparison....which feels worse: getting hit by a truck or blowing up during a marathon?

(answer: they both suck.  Just in different ways.)

OMR - I've run down to about 6 degrees F, and managed to figure out how to dress for that.  But sub zero F has always seemed otherworldly to me.  Thankfully, we very rarely hit that (like once every 3 years) and it warms up to positive degrees if one delays the run, so I haven't had to really deal with it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dwave: I’m not going to chance getting hit by a vehicle

Fargo, North Dakota has cars? How many like 10? I figured y'all rode horses with assless chaps round them parts. Why you put chaps on a horse is beyond me but I hear it's a thing horse people do.

I made a joke about cutting off my foot because I think I really injured a toe due to the light purple tint I saw this morning during todays run...as I passed a guy in his front yard wearing a prosthetic left leg. Talk about bad timing. Not my proudest moment.

KEEN *derek Zoolander voice* OH SNAP!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - did you just run a mile in an OSR event? How was it? I have very mixed feelings about them so I'm curious what your thoughts were.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

madisonrunner

I'm in for 2020.  Dave, 39, live in Madison WI.  I run to/from work every day so that is how I get in most of my training.  I'll be starting a 12 week Pfitz style training plan on Monday in preparation for the Milwaukee Marathon on April 11.  I'll figure out a specific goal as the race gets closer but as of now the goal would be to PR.  Last year I ran my PR at Milwaukee (2:35:49) and also did CIM in 2:38.

DPS - My Dad's PR is 2:38:59 and it took me until 2018 to beat it so we're almost in the same boat.  He was at the finish for the race that I beat it.  Afterwards we got a picture with him, me, and my son and captioned it the former, current, and future family marathon record holders.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

@Madison my day grew up in Janesville but wen to HS at Holy Name in Madison before it closed, then running for UW Madison. Madison, Milwaukee, chicago triangle has some fast people. Must be the water.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - did you just run a mile in an OSR event? How was it? I have very mixed feelings about them so I'm curious what your thoughts were.

JMAC it was one of the most amazing experiences. I was bolting down 7th ave.

There were outriders trying to stop traffic we were racing between cars and taxi's it was some wild adrenaline junkie shit. I was so wired. Best freaking race of my life. Any way I loved it, absolutely will be doing another.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2402407/orchard-street-runners-10k-unsanctioned-racing

It was well run and I loved the no politics and unstructured format. I plan to do a lot more of them as tempo runs which I have been lacking. I tend to fall asleep in middle of races shit like this will keep me engaged and on my toes not to mention the risk. I have to change how I race.  I race to beat people now I want to beat the clock.

A cop asked me why so many runners is this a class?

Me: Why yes, yes, exactly...

School was in session. Ageism :101. "You almost got beat by and old goat."

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Resident Historian

JMAC it was one of the most amazing experiences. I was bolting down 7th ave.

There were outriders trying to stop traffic we were racing between cars and taxi's it was some wild adrenaline junkie shit. I was so wired. Best freaking race of my life. Any way I loved it, absolutely will be doing another.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2402407/orchard-street-runners-10k-unsanctioned-racing

It was well run and I loved the no politics and unstructured format. I plan to do a lot more of them as tempo runs which I have been lacking. I tend to fall asleep in middle of races shit like this will keep me engaged and on my toes not to mention the risk. I have to change how I race.  I race to beat people now I want to beat the clock.

A cop asked me why so many runners is this a class?

Me: Why yes, yes, exactly...

School was in session. Ageism :101. "You almost got beat by and old goat."

Very cool concept, looks like a lot of fun!

I'd expect doing these would help you on beating both the clock and other runners. Maybe not for you, but for me there would always be someone ahead to run down at the end.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMAC - This was the last 200m it was tight it was close it was fast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7bg5A5H5iL/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

I missed this some how until now, but since I'm running the Belfast city marathon on the 3rd of May I will be around so better into myself

I'm Marco, 37 this year in February,  used to be a almost good mid distance runner in my teens, then I stopped to get a proper education, family,job. In 2013 I came back to running for health reasons ( stress and fat were killing me)

Now I run regularly but have a very busy work schedule and travel a LOT so I need to be happy with irregular training, which isn't good to get good times in.

My goal for the marathon in may should probably be 3:15 but I know for now a 3:30 is more likely...

A part from that  I'll probably run half and 10k trying for a sub 90 and sub 40

I will try to keep up with the conversation

Have a good long running weekend

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good luck tomorrow Andres and darkwave. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)